Information Reliability or not?

Diga41

Country flag
Hello everyone!
How many km (or miles) have you reached on your Rc?
Before making extraordinary maintenance, i mean...only with the ordinary.

Come on, let's deny the rumors of unreliability!

TVann

Country flag
Well, I'm not so sure you should classify unreliability as a "rumor."

My road-going 2017 (never tracked) overheated and blew a head gasket at 6100 miles. Head was re-decked and rebuilt by a very experienced engine builder; silicon hoses, upgraded fan. The whole thing cost me $3500. Head blew again 60 miles into first ride. I'm now having the head done again.

If it blows again I'm going to haul it to the local KTM dealer and set it on fire in front of their store.

There are rumors of an RC490 in the works. Would I love to have a $500cc 350 lb thumper? Yup. But another KTM. No thanks.

SWdragon

Country flag
2015 with 9300 miles no issues. I ride strictly in the mountains with no stop and go or freeways. Bike has Tyga exhaust, PCV, and Chad tuned. I don't ride it much anymore (3-4 times a year) as it hurts my 60 old wrists and I have a couple other bikes.

KTMLaos

Country flag
Duke 390 with over 39,000 km except for a PowerTRONIC V3 piggyback a standard engine.
Duke 200 with over 46,000 km Dimsport Rapid Bike EVO, DNA race air filter silicone hoses and NGK Laser spark.
The 390 is from 2015, the 200 from 2012 both bikes remain running like clockwork.
Regular maintenance and on the 200 I have changed the stator and the starter relais.
All tropical riding averaging daytime temps over 27 Celcius.

D

Deleted member 452

2015 model blew a head gasket twice and then the motor was garbage a couple days AFTER the warranty expired around 12.5K miles. KTM North America and my local dealer who performed all the work during this period conveniently forgot they said they would "take care of me" while the problems were happening and refusing my request for a new motor (I knew it wouldn't last long with coolant & engine oil mixing).

I purchased a 2017 motor with less than 1K miles, skimmed the head, used copper head gasket spray on the factory head gasket, and it ran flawlessly for 50K miles 'till last weekend when the 2nd motor died 200 miles from home (expensive tow). I don't think it was the head gasket this time (piston rings are by best pre-teardown guess).

rantinron

Country flag
I am at only 460 miles on my 2022 RC390 and I just noticed fluid on my left fork. Assuming fork seal issue? Anyone else hear of this problem on the new model? Love the bike so far but this is concerning.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Well, I'm not so sure you should classify unreliability as a "rumor."

My road-going 2017 (never tracked) overheated and blew a head gasket at 6100 miles. Head was re-decked and rebuilt by a very experienced engine builder; silicon hoses, upgraded fan. The whole thing cost me $3500. Head blew again 60 miles into first ride. I'm now having the head done again.

If it blows again I'm going to haul it to the local KTM dealer and set it on fire in front of their store.

There are rumors of an RC490 in the works. Would I love to have a $500cc 350 lb thumper? Yup. But another KTM. No thanks.
if more than a few thousandths are taken off the head, that's exactly what will happen. Sounds like they decked the head too much. It'll blow again. The cylinder can have a fire ring installed, and that should solve your head gasket issues... but if you've already screwed up the head by decking it too far, it's a gonner. How much did they take off the head when they decked it?

1JZSupra

Country flag
My 2016 duke made it 23,500 miles before having a head gasket issue. These engines are really easy to work on and thankfully the parts are cheap. I would 100% just do it yourself.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
My 2016 duke made it 23,500 miles before having a head gasket issue. These engines are really easy to work on and thankfully the parts are cheap. I would 100% just do it yourself.
Unfortunately, some are just very timid where it comes to things like motor internals, or even chain and sprockets for that matter. I've had some guys ride here from Houston or DFW just to have me install the chain and sprockets for them, and show them how to adjust their chain. I mean, I get it... everyone has to start somewhere. I just don't understand how it is that some didn't learn this stuff from taking apart the lawn mower, or minibike/dirtbike, weed wackers, chainsaws, and a bevvy of other small engines when they were kids (or teenagers) not to mention wrenching on ones first car when you have more time than money and a shop tells you it's $800 to swap an alternator/starter/brake pads/etc and it's a job you can do it yourself in less than an hour... and before you know it your are comfortable with clutch rebuilds, adjusting valves, and yeah... fixing blown head gaskets... but you just gotta start somewhere and ask a lot of questions. I don't know any biker who's wrenched on their own bikes who's not happy to help others who are starting out.

1JZSupra

Country flag
Unfortunately, some are just very timid where it comes to things like motor internals, or even chain and sprockets for that matter. I've had some guys ride here from Houston or DFW just to have me install the chain and sprockets for them, and show them how to adjust their chain. I mean, I get it... everyone has to start somewhere. I just don't understand how it is that some didn't learn this stuff from taking apart the lawn mower, or minibike/dirtbike, weed wackers, chainsaws, and a bevvy of other small engines when they were kids (or teenagers) not to mention wrenching on ones first car when you have more time than money and a shop tells you it's $800 to swap an alternator/starter/brake pads/etc and it's a job you can do it yourself in less than an hour... and before you know it your are comfortable with clutch rebuilds, adjusting valves, and yeah... fixing blown head gaskets... but you just gotta start somewhere and ask a lot of questions. I don't know any biker who's wrenched on their own bikes who's not happy to help others who are starting out.

I completely agree. There are lots of small jobs that can be easily done in order to help build you up. This engine being a single cylinder engine is an extremely easy example of an engine you could learn on. I can legit from start to finish do a complete valve lash check in 45 mins to include reinstalling all parts. It just takes some patience and understanding that the metal is cheese so don't over torque it.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I completely agree. There are lots of small jobs that can be easily done in order to help build you up. This engine being a single cylinder engine is an extremely easy example of an engine you could learn on. I can legit from start to finish do a complete valve lash check in 45 mins to include reinstalling all parts. It just takes some patience and understanding that the metal is cheese so don't over torque it.
I drop the motor to do valve adjustments. My hands are too big to get in there, and while you POSSIBLY can do the valve check in the frame, doing the adjustment would be a total nightmare. Dropping the motor takes about 20 minutes. Putting it back in and getting all the fluids in and ready to start might take another 30... and doing the check and adjustment are SOOOOO much simpler with the motor out of the frame!

Karfanatik

Country flag
I drop the motor to do valve adjustments. My hands are too big to get in there, and while you POSSIBLY can do the valve check in the frame, doing the adjustment would be a total nightmare. Dropping the motor takes about 20 minutes. Putting it back in and getting all the fluids in and ready to start might take another 30... and doing the check and adjustment are SOOOOO much simpler with the motor out of the frame!
I am interested in this 20 min motor drop. Took me like an hour to do a simple oil change lol

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I am interested in this 20 min motor drop. Took me like an hour to do a simple oil change lol
It's not really that difficult. Disconnect the front sprocket and chain with it, shifter lever, drain and remove radiator and unplug fan connection, remove header pipe and exhaust system, undo the two plugs on the left side of motor, (gear position sensor and ignition) and the oil pressure sensor connection. Unplug the connection just below the throttle body, undo wires from starter motor, vent hoses off of case and head, remove spark plug boot/lead.

Two engine mount bolts through rear of frame, then one through bolt at the front that the two front hanger brackets connect to.

Drop motor down, done!

Leave the throttle body and air box and gas tank all in place, drop engine off of the throttle body intake manifold.

1JZSupra

Country flag
I have normal not bear glove size hands so I can do it all with the engine still in the frame lol