Removing brake/clutch levers?

Foxxer234

What are the steps to remove the levers? Normally I would just do it, but my last bike had a surprise when removing the levers. If you didn't follow a precise sequence pieces of the lever could break. After that I figure I should always ask first lol.

OldVet

Yeah just remove the switch before you try to remove the clutch lever. About a ten minute job to replace both levers.

Foxxer234

And in a display of my own stupidity, and impatience, I broke the clutch switch. I was rushing through, and totally forgot to remove it lol. Gonna call the dealer tomorrow to check the price of a new switch. How hard is it to replace the switch?

s30series

I warned you about that... Here's the price of a new one...

CLUTCH SWITCH | $47.20

I have no idea where it plugs in though, you broke it you can chase down where it plugs in :p LOL...

Not sure why it is so expensive here....but I paid $6.43 from my dealer for the clutch switch. It is held on by two phillips head screws.

In all honesty, its easier to "break" the switch apart and replace the little white plastic part that you broke. This is what I did instead of tracing the wires back and plugging in the whole new thing.

Foxxer234

@oldvet- You did lol. I was trying to beat the sun, so I was rushing, and forgot a step. Theres no light in the garage (I should fix that), so i was trying to do it while i still had some light. Dealer sold me a new one for $6.33. Not sure where those sites are getting $30 to $50. Talk about a mark up.

@s30- That was my thought as well. It appears to only be held together with 2 tabs, and a zip tie. (I assume they hid the duct tape, and chewing gum better than the zip ties). I really dont want to take the panel off to find where the wire snakes to.

s30series

@oldvet- You did lol. I was trying to beat the sun, so I was rushing, and forgot a step. Theres no light in the garage (I should fix that), so i was trying to do it while i still had some light. Dealer sold me a new one for $6.33. Not sure where those sites are getting $30 to $50. Talk about a mark up.

@s30- That was my thought as well. It appears to only be held together with 2 tabs, and a zip tie. (I assume they hid the duct tape, and chewing gum better than the zip ties). I really dont want to take the panel off to find where the wire snakes to.

Yeah so basically unscrew the switch with the two phillips heads bolts....the switch should be loose and then you can pry apart the plastic halves and pull the little white thing out and throw in the new one. You do have to cut a tiny little zip tie that holds the two halves together. I opted not to put a new one on because it is such a small size and its really not 100% needed.

Last edited:

Foxxer234

Yeah so basically unscrew the switch with the two phillips heads bolts....the switch should be loose and then you can pry apart the plastic halves and pull the little white thing out and throw in the new one. You do have to cut a tiny little zip tie that holds the two halves together. I opted not to put a new one on because it is such a small size and its really not 100% needed.

That's what I'm gonna do. Sadly It's a week wait. The dealer didn't have any on hand, and will take a week to ship. I actually have some good zip ties that small from building computers. I guess multiple hobbies can pay off. :p I'll probably order some non-essential stuff while I wait. Probably brake pads, and an air filter. I see a lot of people saying HH pads really improve the braking of the 390.

cdull3

Does anyone know what the clutch switch actually does? I've looked all over and haven't found answer. I swapped my stocks for shorties and snapped that little white piece off cause I didn't know it was there. I took the bike around the block and it runs like normal and shifts just fine. Neutral works light comes on. Anyone who what it's purpose is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bagwell

Country flag
it will probably not start while in gear? The clutch switch should lockout the starter if bike is in gear and clutch is engaged.

cdull3

Gotcha so nothing too major. Which I would never start the bike in gear clutch engaged anyway

OldVet

Gotcha so nothing too major. Which I would never start the bike in gear clutch engaged anyway

That feature comes in real handy if you happen to kill your bike at a busy intersection or on a steep uphill... It's much quicker than trying to find neutral...

cdull3

Wouldn't you just pull the clutch in? Cause I thought you meant you start in gear with the clutch out

cdull3

I was thinking I'd wouldn't allow to bike to attempt to start in gear clutch out

I'm able to start the bike in gear as long as I pull the clutch in but I wouldn't try to start it with it not pull in gear cause it would just take off

OldVet

Yeah I understand now and that sounds correct. The switch won't allow it to start unless the clutch is pulled in or in netural. with the clutch out.

cdull3

Okay gotcha. I was just making sure it wasn't anything too important before I take it out for a ride