Removing RC390 Exhaust - 2017+

fostytou

Country flag
It seems a lot of people run into a problem while removing the stock exhaust on 2017+ bikes - getting the silencer behind the shock out can be very difficult! Getting it back in is all but impossible... unless you know this little trick. I've seen 3 recent facebook posts about it and the only thing I found on here and in youtube videos was to hit it harder:

OK… Where is the mystery fastener that is holding the catalytic converter after I’ve removed all the obvious ones? I know you know[emoji48][emoji48][emoji48]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!
There wasn’t a fastener there might as well of been because of the interference fit from the sleeve between the brackets in the catalytic converter. A lot of back-and-forth working it finally got it out.
Man the cat is heavier than my real mammal cat!
I’m going to take it for a ride today and see how it is fueling. Hopefully there won’t be a lot of difference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, there is a much more simple way! The sleeve that passes through the lower part of the silencer is clamped in place by the rearset fasteners just above it. If you are on the right / rear brake side of the bike loosen the 2 fasteners that go through the same bracket that the sleeve goes through. One is a 14mm and one is a 17mm that you need to lock with a 14mm wrench behind the shifter on the other side. Once that is done the silencer will slide out with ease - no damaged paint, no ruining the gaskets on it, no pounding with a hammer or trying to pry for an hour.

Take note that the rearset bolt that is not locked from the other side should have loctite 243 (242 should be fine if that's all you have since there isn't oil here).

This is also a great time to check your kickstand bracket. I've seen a few posts about that coming loose or falling off recently - no surprise that mine was loose as well.

Full steps to remove the exhaust:
Remove the belly pan. You can remove the side fairings as well but I just removed the 3 rear bolts and was gentle getting the push-pins out. 4 x 4mm hex bolts to remove the belly pan. Then remove the belly pan bracket at the rear of the engine with 2x 10mm and 1x 8mm bolts.

1) Loosen and remove the 3 x V band clamps on the exhaust - 6mm hex (use a ratchet, not an L key). Before and after the cat and before the slip-on. Ideally move them to a single pipe so they don't wreck your exhaust gaskets while you wiggle things.
2) Remove the 2 x 8mm bolts holding the pre-silencer in place
3) Ideally loosen the slip-on bolt that goes through the passenger peg, but not necessarily required
4) Loosen the 2 rearset bolts that go through the pre-silencer bracket on the brake side. 1x 14mm and 1x17mm with a 14mm hold on the other end behind the shifter.
5) Put a box or something under the pre-silencer so it doesn't fall or hold it while you do the next step.
6) Loosen the 1x 12mm lower silencer bolt with sleeve.
7) Casually slide the pre-silencer down without scraping the shock.
8) Remove the cat. If necessary you can spin it and slide it out the left side of the bike before removing the pre-silencer but this has more of a risk of scratching paint.

Last edited:

fostytou

Country flag
Question. For steps 4 and 6, do you mean loosen and remove the bolts or just loosen them?
I believe loosening them is enough. This is the part that creates the main difficulty point though - so if loosening isn't enough then loosen them further or remove them partially.

Karfanatik

Country flag
I believe loosening them is enough. This is the part that creates the main difficulty point though - so if loosening isn't enough then loosen them further or remove them partially.
I ended up just hammering the thing out. It wasn't terrible honestly. I just loosened up that bracket where the belly pan attaches at the back and the teakettle slid right out. I can see why people have trouble though

fostytou

Country flag
I ended up just hammering the thing out. It wasn't terrible honestly. I just loosened up that bracket where the belly pan attaches at the back and the teakettle slid right out. I can see why people have trouble though
On mine the hammering was not easy at all and removed a mountain of paint down there (and a tone of sweat from me). Considering it is just 2 things to loosen (and if you have to put the kettle back in it is nearly impossible) and then it is really as simple as moving the piece - I think it is worth it to loosen them.