Moto3wannabe

Country flag
As I'm usually riding my bike mostly from 7,000 to 10,000 rpm in all gears, and my peak TQ is 3.6 kg-m at 7,060 rpm, I'm thinking of moving the power band highier. Anyway, I have planned to regrind my cam but before I do so would like to try this out to see what I can get. My plan is to retard the cam by 4 to 6 degree to move the HP upward with the sacrifice of some TQ towards the mid and top. Currently, from Dyno result, the TQ is concentrated mid low to mid and start to drop when you need it most on top. Anyone has tried this before?

The interesting question is should I retard both the intake and exhaust cam the same degree? Or retard only the intake by 4 to 6 degree and maintain the exhaust? Or retard the intake by 4 degree and exhaust by 2 degree? Or retard the intake by 6 degree and exhaust by 2 degree?

Anyone has done this, please share some light here. This is for standard cam that comes with our bike.

nhenneman

I'm guessing Chad (cjwell) will have some insights into this, as his race kit includes new cams but I'm not sure what their specs are. Best of luck and I look forward to hearing the outcome of this project.