Returning to the saddle after a decade

warlok9

10 years after selling my last bike (2001 sv650s) I am returning to riding. I am having a lot more nervous feelings about it now that I have made the decision and the day approaches when the new bike arrives. Memories of some of the close calls I had with unattentive cagers have started coming back to me and putting a bit of a scare into me. Adding into the equation the texting that people are doing doesn't make me believe it's gotten any better out there for us bikers. Maybe the fears are a good thing going back into it as a middle age man?

warlok9

Welcome back, just do track days and/or race. Thats what these RC390s are meant for anyway.
Thanks for the reply. Probably won't be racing it, just using it for spirited rides around some country roads and some strip cruising. I guess I can always do a rider course refresher. They are free in PA.

DCMoney

Country flag
Thanks for the reply. Probably won't be racing it, just using it for spirited rides around some country roads and some strip cruising. I guess I can always do a rider course refresher. They are free in PA.

You don't have to race, once I started doing track days my street riding slowed down. Then I started racing and now I don't own a street legal motorcycle.

Enjoy!

Metals 907

I hear ya, I sold my 1983 KTM 495 in 2001. Bought a 2001 honda CBR 600 F4I in 2013. ( took the MSF course having never ridden on the street.) Rode it for 6000 mi. Sold it this spring and bought an 2015 RC 390. Within 100yards of picking the bike up I got my first welcome back cutoff by a blue hair. 2500 miles and counting this year so far and I can say I don't think I've had this much fun in a very long time.

Last edited:

zaster

Country flag
You don't have to race, once I started doing track days my street riding slowed down. Then I started racing and now I don't own a street legal motorcycle.

Enjoy!

Great point and that's what I bought mine for. Luckily the closest track is less than 1/2 hour away.
They also have practice days on Monday's which allows you to ride as much or as little for $50/$75 for half or a full day.

djwille88

Country flag
I'm in the same boat my friend. I haven't ridden a motorcycle since my Katana 600 days..1993. Just picked up my Rc 390 2 weeks ago and I'm having a real hard time dealing with rider nerves..especially around traffic. I was thinking of taking the MSF class just to get back into the swing of things. Been taking short little rides around the block..rode the bike to work a few times early in the morning so I wouldn't have to deal with the heavier traffic.

I another issue I have is getting used to the choppy feeling throttle of the bike in lower gears. Hopefully with more seat time I'll get over my nerves and get used to the bike.(45 btw)

Metals 907

It is a discipline transition going from a 4 cylinder bike to a single. The amount of engine braking is insane on a single by comparison. In time the nerves go away and muscle memory will help with the throttle control.