Rev limiter kicking in at 10,200 rpm.

Rahul.g

Country flag
Hey guys
This is my first post here, i've been following this forum for over a year.

My RC is a 2015 model, has done around 17000 kms so far.
I had installed a powertronic piggyback ecu around 6 months earlier, the bike ran fine for some 5000 kms or so after which some problems started cropping up in the powertronic box, bike used to stall every now and then and it didn't even start after that.
I spoke to the race dynamics and got a replacement after a month and then this issue cropped up which im unable to solve.

The problem is that the bike doesnt rev post 10.2k rpm in stock or eith powertronic box.
I've tried exchanging the oem ecu with other bike's(RC) ecu, i've checked the powertronic box for faults but the problem still exists.
I'm unable to understand the problem, I have few things in mind that can be the source of problem - 1) TPS sensor 2) wiring

The speeds my bike is currently doing in each gear are

1st - 55 kmph
2nd - 81 kmph
3rd - 104 kmph
4th - haven't checked
5th - 152 kmph
6th - 173 kmph
The limiter is kicking in at 152 kmph in 5th gear and 173 kmph in 6th gear, earlier it used to kick in at 156 kmph in 5th gear and 178 - 179 kmph in 6th gear
Can any please help me out here.
Even with the powertronic box the limiter is kicking in at the same rpm as it is on stock.

shreeshar7

Hey guys

I had installed a powertronic piggyback ecu around 6 months earlier, the bike ran fine for some 5000 kms or so after which some problems started cropping up in the powertronic box, bike used to stall every now and then and it didn't even start after that.
I spoke to the race dynamics and got a replacement after a month and then this issue cropped up which im unable to solve.

The problem is that the bike doesnt rev post 10.2k rpm in stock or eith powertronic box.
I've tried exchanging the oem ecu with other bike's(RC) ecu, i've checked the powertronic box for faults but the problem still exists.
I'm unable to understand the problem, I have few things in mind that can be the source of problem - 1) TPS sensor 2) wiring

1st - 55 kmph
2nd - 81 kmph
3rd - 104 kmph
4th - haven't checked
5th - 152 kmph
6th - 173 kmph
The limiter is kicking in at 152 kmph in 5th gear and 173 kmph in 6th gear, earlier it used to kick in at 156 kmph in 5th gear and 178 - 179 kmph in 6th gear
Even with the powertronic box the limiter is kicking in at the same rpm as it is on stock.

First of all,u need to know that the bike doesn't Rev beyond 9.5-9.6k rpm
That's where the stock Rev limiter is at.
About when using powertronic, have u conncted the box to computer and checked at what value is Rev limiter set?.
You can take your bike to the ktm service, connect the obd tool and check if TPS is fine. It should show up till 100%.

About top speed in each gear,I would be looking at tyres.
If you've changed tyres or they're worn,it reduces the dia hence slightly reduced top end.

Put the bike in Stock mode and do a idle reset(Google it), then plug in piggyback.

Rahul.g

Country flag
AFAIK in stock form limiter kicks in at 10.5k rpm, peak power is generated at 9.5k rpm but the motor revs till 10.5k rpm.
Tyre has not worn out yet that much to cause this type of problem.
I went to svc but they were not intrested in checking anything, they just said everything is fine withput even checking.

Rahul.g

Country flag
Power drops off sharp at 9k and the stock rev limiter is 10k. The akrapovic map bumps that to 10,250.

Thanks
I still dont understand why the powertronic box is not able to extend the rev limiter(I checked the powertronic in other bikes it worked well theere)
I will do the idle reset and then try plugging in powertronic.
Lets see how things goes.

Cokelizard

Country flag
Hey guys

1st - 55 kmph
2nd - 81 kmph
3rd - 104 kmph
4th - haven't checked
5th - 152 kmph
6th - 173 kmph
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but did OP ever find a solution? I'm having the same issue on my 2015 390 Duke and tech support has been silent for nearly a week.

kostean

Country flag
The engine can go up to about 11 500 with proper gearing and unrestricted intake/exhaust. Further from there, I have not seen at the ECU log (except some peaks when it trows off gear). That is also as much as I would dare to dial it in at the rev limiter as the exhaust valves will not be able to lift from the piston beyond that with stock springs (have learned the expensive way).

If not passing over 10k with powertronic rev extended, might be it gets starved at air/fuel from that point simply. With 6th gear normally the speed reaches at long straights around 192km/h