Highside Hero

Country flag
I just got my bike back from the dealership service center after having the valves adjusted. It started and ran fine for a mile or so at city speeds, and then for about 30 minutes at highway speed. When I exited and stopped at a light, I was idling so rough that it rattled my vision. After that, it was just running roughly even at high RPMs. So I'm thinking they incorrectly shimmed the valves, but:

Before I left the dealership, I'm reviewing my paperwork and their notes say that I have an actual fault code on my dash. This is completely new; there wasn't a fault code before. I assumed it was something minor, since they didn't tell me what the code was, and wouldn't unless I paid for an additional service.

So, my questions for the forum are:

1. Does my experience returning home seem like a valve adjustment error, or maybe something else like the cams being slightly misaligned or timing chain/tensioner mis-installation?

2. Are there any sensors that would trigger if the valve service was performed incorrectly?

2. Are there any connections or hoses I can check that may have become dislodged or misrouted during the service which would cause the bike to run so roughly, or possibly trigger a fault code?

This is the second time I've had my bike serviced there, and the second time I've felt like I got BF'd for my patronage. Won't be going back, ever, so I want to be as informed as possible when I contact them. I also ordered an OBD2 reader to find out what the fault code is. I'll update the post once I know.

Last edited:

1JZSupra

Country flag
I would:

1. Check what the code is
2. Make sure they plugged everything in
3. take it back and have them fix it since they performed the work.

Yes they could have adjusted the shims incorrectly. They could have also incorrectly timed it as well.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Another cause could be they didn't install the valve spring retainer right, and your rattle is the piston having bent a valve from piston slapping it. Either way, sounds like they did something wrong.

Highside Hero

Country flag
There is no fault code my Elm327 or Fixd OBD2 modules can read. Apparently, I unintentionally worship at cult of Steve Jobs so I'm using 'Car Scanner' for iOs instead of Torque. It reads what appears to be all of the data streams for this bike but no fault codes, stored or otherwise.

Not sure what's up. Why no code? Did they make it up in order to cover for screwing something up?

I feel like I might have trust issues.

musti

Country flag
I just got my bike back from the dealership service center after having the valves adjusted. It started and ran fine for a mile or so at city speeds, and then for about 30 minutes at highway speed. When I exited and stopped at a light, I was idling so rough that it rattled my vision. After that, it was just running roughly even at high RPMs. So I'm thinking they incorrectly shimmed the valves, but:

Before I left the dealership, I'm reviewing my paperwork and their notes say that I have an actual fault code on my dash. This is completely new; there wasn't a fault code before. I assumed it was something minor, since they didn't tell me what the code was, and wouldn't unless I paid for an additional service.

So, my questions for the forum are:

1. Does my experience returning home seem like a valve adjustment error, or maybe something else like the cams being slightly misaligned or timing chain/tensioner mis-installation?

2. Are there any sensors that would trigger if the valve service was performed incorrectly?

2. Are there any connections or hoses I can check that may have become dislodged or misrouted during the service which would cause the bike to run so roughly, or possibly trigger a fault code?

This is the second time I've had my bike serviced there, and the second time I've felt like I got BF'd for my patronage. Won't be going back, ever, so I want to be as informed as possible when I contact them. I also ordered an OBD2 reader to find out what the fault code is. I'll update the post once I know.
Hey Bro,

May be I can assist a bit.

Considering the fact that after you received your bike, you rode it, and it worked fine, you only experienced rough idling after riding it on highway speeds. Also, from what you mentioned, your bike has not stalled, and only idles rough.

I doubt it is the valve issue, because after receiving the bike from the service center, on city speeds, it ran fine. If it were the valve, you should have been facing issues right there itself.

You've started to face issues right after the bike was ridden on highway speeds.

For this, if you can, you can quickly open the valve cover, open the bolt from the magnet side, and rotate it to position it as Combustion TDC [At this point both the valves are closed]. You will be able to see the "T" and line position for the cams.

None

If you could, I would check the fuel hose from the fuel filter to the injector. May be that is pinched, causing no proper fuel pressure.

Possibilities of the issue:
- Fueling issues
Fuel pump
Clogged fuel filter
Pinched fuel line
Check the 4 pin coupler that connects to the fuel pump assembly
- Spark issues
Spark plug needs to be cleaned
- Valve issues
Cam chain tensioner not properly set

Unfortunately, for none of the above you have fault codes.

If you do get this resolved, please let us know, as it is interesting to see what the issue actually was.

Regards.

Highside Hero

Country flag
Hey Bro,

May be I can assist a bit.

Considering the fact that after you received your bike, you rode it, and it worked fine, you only experienced rough idling after riding it on highway speeds. Also, from what you mentioned, your bike has not stalled, and only idles rough.

I doubt it is the valve issue, because after receiving the bike from the service center, on city speeds, it ran fine. If it were the valve, you should have been facing issues right there itself.

You've started to face issues right after the bike was ridden on highway speeds.

For this, if you can, you can quickly open the valve cover, open the bolt from the magnet side, and rotate it to position it as Combustion TDC [At this point both the valves are closed]. You will be able to see the "T" and line position for the cams.

None

If you could, I would check the fuel hose from the fuel filter to the injector. May be that is pinched, causing no proper fuel pressure.

Possibilities of the issue:
- Fueling issues
Fuel pump
Clogged fuel filter
Pinched fuel line
Check the 4 pin coupler that connects to the fuel pump assembly
- Spark issues
Spark plug needs to be cleaned
- Valve issues
Cam chain tensioner not properly set

Unfortunately, for none of the above you have fault codes.

If you do get this resolved, please let us know, as it is interesting to see what the issue actually was.

Regards.
Thanks for that info! I'll be getting into it this week, and if I can't figure it out it'll go to the mechanic. Either way, I'll post an update.