Safety wire for the drain plug

I went to do the safety wire on the bike tonight and I see at least the larger drain plug is hollow at the top.
So if you drill a hole though the bolt for the wire it seems to me oil would would drip out.
How are people safety wiring the drain plug?

isaac_

I went to do the safety wire on the bike tonight and I see at least the larger drain plug is hollow at the top.
So if you drill a hole though the bolt for the wire it seems to me oil would would drip out.
How are people safety wiring the drain plug?

Carefully. At an angle.

green_bread

Country flag
Gotta say that I'm surprised someone hasn't made an aftermarket pre-drilled part for these bikes. Seems like it would be easy to make and a good market for them.

Gotta say that I'm surprised someone hasn't made an aftermarket pre-drilled part for these bikes. Seems like it would be easy to make and a good market for them.

I imagine you all ready checked, but just in case you didn't, maybe Pro-Bolt makes something?

nail_bomb

I’d recommend lockwiring the oil filter cover bolts and filler cap too as a belt and braces job, I lost my filler cap and both the oil filter covers shook loose on my 690 smc-r supermoto at a cadwell park trackday! Not getting caught out this time with the 390.....BF900BFA-404D-4BED-9716-573DEB0236A5.jpg

green_bread

Country flag
Do yourself a favor and get yourself some safety clips like these and you wont have to cut/redo the safety wire for the oil filler every time you do an oil change/add oil/etc:

KurveyGirl_Assorted_Clips_Main_800_wm.jpg

nail_bomb

Do yourself a favor and get yourself some safety clips like these and you wont have to cut/redo the safety wire for the oil filler every time you do an oil change/add oil/etc:

View attachment 4590
Sorry, don’t get that, how do you stop bolts unwinding if you fit these? Surely better to just lockwire two bolts against each other to prevent them backing off? I’ve used this method on all my previous race/trackbikes and never had anything back off.

Last edited:

Muckabucka

Country flag
17861992_10213202634725292_274380082080785461_n.jpg wire the spring clips together.

Sorry, don’t get that, how do you stop bolts unwinding if you fit these? Surely better to just lockwire two bolts against each other to prevent them backing off? I’ve used this method on all my previous race/trackbikes and never had anything back off. @moto390 Instagram or lovelessengineering.blogspot.co.uk

karizzle38

thanks all and thank goodness for the search feature. this thread was exactly the problem i was having today. i was about to drill straight through the drain plug and at the last second i checked and was like wait let me check the forum lol :cool:

ia02

Country flag
I welded a piece of round bar to the top of two oil drai plugs. Then I drilled the bar, not the plug. The cap alone was too thin for my liking, even only drilling a single corner.

Pulu50

Country flag
Yup. Should have read through here first. Never thought about it after drilling many a Japanese plugs.
Drilled straight through into the KTM plug.
More #@%&$#!

Bikingbagga

Country flag
I welded a piece of round bar to the top of two oil drain plugs. Then I drilled the bar, not the plug. The cap alone was too thin for my liking, even only drilling a single corner.
That's exactly what I'm going to just tig weld a small plate and drill a hole in it.