Slipper Clutch - On The Way!

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
So finally it's true. I've been informed about this slipper clutch thingy quite a while back, though the A.S.S were quite mum about this, the news is official indeed. As one of my dealership mechanics informed and the same confirmed by another prospective fellow member of another biking forum in India. The 2015 models have been upgraded with the slipper clutch. Both the 200 and 390 both are expected to get the slipper clutch.

As one of my biker buddies reported, he had this lengthy discussion with the service manager, who reaffirms, they've been briefed with an internal presentation regarding the changes carried out on post 2015 Duke series.

To list out.

1. Slipper Clutch
2. Handlebar grips are changed. (obvious changes, this was observed almost on all RC series)
3. Spark plug gap is increased.
4. Chain cover/guard height is increased.
5. Con rod hole diameter is changed.
6. Tail section plastic quality is improved to prevent breakage. (Reckon this is for the naked series) as they were prone to crazy flex and crack.
7. Rear mono gets a plastic wrap around the inside of the shocker around piston to reduce crud throw.
8. And a few more nitty-gritty,

..as reported by the user and confirmed by my dealership mechanic, so, I guess the good times are indeed out for a roll.

What's to see, is folks around here who are waiting for the delivery of their 2015 machines, and see how it fares.

Cheers!
V

DaveI

Well...That's good news...However...I suspect that there's a good few 2015 KTM RC390s that are already in the channels
and have arrived here in the U.S. already (in warehouses)...So...I'm going to "standby"....I want the slipper clutch
and I don't want to spend a grand on an aftermarket one....And I suspect KTM won't be wanting to retrofit the ones
already shipped out (But maybe they will)...Anyway this is good info...I'm going to wait and see....THANKS.

phocup

Indeed good news. The slipper clutch rumors in 2016 is what had me contemplating canceling my pre-order for the '15. Very glad to hear this!

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
Wasn't it the 2015's that were released already on September 9th?

I am pretty much unaware of that John. Thing is, we received a few bikes a couple of days back, stamped January 2015 when we checked the VIN number, but there was nowhere a slipper clutch to see, apart from folks reporting clutch was comparatively smoother than the old ones. Perhaps the February and March are getting them installed, is anyone's guess. But the fact that KTM has organized a training session and handed out internal presentations stating some 20 odd corrections to the bike, apart from the slipper clutch, means it shouldn't be that far off.

I am pretty much sure, in a month or two the entire Duke series should be done and dusted with the slipper clutch along with the nitty gritty. Matter of fact, will be heading to the nearest dealership this Friday, and see how it fares, who knows I might drop an advance payment, but will keep it posted here.

It's been a months since I've sold my bike(s) and waiting for my new rides, both are under wait period, sucks to be caged, pretty much. Me thinks suicidal at times without riding (oops, did I say that :eek:)

Cheers!
V

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I have a really hard time believing this. The 2015 models should all be produced by now, if these models function on the normal mode of KTM assembly/delivery. KTM typically plans out the models about 4 years in advance so a mid year correction seems highly unlikely, especially to add a part that doesn't directly effect durability. Also why the hell does a 375cc bike need a slipper clutch anyway? I can understand on a high compression bigger bore single/multi but on a 375 its engine braking should be easily mitigated by the weight. My 560SMR could use a slipper under heavy braking but even then I haven't deemed it necessary for street riding. Seems like its more of a marketing scheme then something that will actually assist you.

guzz46

I have a really hard time believing this. The 2015 models should all be produced by now, if these models function on the normal mode of KTM assembly/delivery. KTM typically plans out the models about 4 years in advance so a mid year correction seems highly unlikely, especially to add a part that doesn't directly effect durability. Also why the hell does a 375cc bike need a slipper clutch anyway? I can understand on a high compression bigger bore single/multi but on a 375 its engine braking should be easily mitigated by the weight. My 560SMR could use a slipper under heavy braking but even then I haven't deemed it necessary for street riding. Seems like its more of a marketing scheme then something that will actually assist you.

I have to agree with you, the bike doesn't have very much engine braking at all, in a competitive racing situation where every tenth of a second matters then a slipper clutch could come in handy, but not on the street, even my Husky SM610 doesn't need a slipper clutch for street riding, neither did my Suzuki TL1000S, just don't bang it down too many gears, its probably only being introduced because the Ninja 300 has one.

DaveI

Well...Speaking from personal experience....I have a single cylinder high compression 470cc dirtbike (Suzuki DRZ 400 stroked) converted to a Supermoto and I can assure you that it would be much better
going into a turn with a slipper clutch...I'm pretty sure the compression is going to be fairly decent on the RC390 to make that horsepower so I'm fairly sure the same situation is going to be present on the
RC390...But of course there will be some who prefer it without the slipper clutch to have the engine braking (but not me).

Treachery

Country flag
You still get engine braking (perhaps not as much), you just decrease or eliminate the chance of rear wheel chatter.

guzz46

Maybe its me, but I've never had the rear lock up or chatter while braking, unless your racing it I still don't see the point in one, if KTM offered it as a retrofit I wouldn't take it, unless it was free.

Scratcher

From Indianhoods.com
"From now onwards, the RC390 and Duke 390 will start coming with slipper clutch that has been added as an standard fitment without any extra cost, "
Feb.18, 2015

2015 KTM DUKE 390 AND RC390 GET SLIPPER CLUTCH AND SUBTLE UPDATES

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
Sans Slipper Clutch Workshop Manual
CS Normal.jpg

The newer revised manual for the ASC.
CAS.jpg

Snippets from the internal presentation.
IMG_8186.jpg

P.S. All these photos were posted by respective members from the biking forum xBhp. A reliable information portal.

Cheers!
V

TZMike

The US spec parts manual is available on-line now. Spare Parts Finder

But it still shows a conventional clutch- not the slipper clutch.

Would be good to hear an announcement from KTM. That would make it more official...

DaveI

If I were a bettin' man...
I'd wager that the models already in the pipeline will come with the standard clutch...
And the models not already out the door will come with the slipper clutch...
I don't think they're going to say much as they'll want to sell off the standard clutch models
and I don't think they'll be wanting to do any retrofitting...But that's just a guess...
If they sold the ones already in the U.S. with the promise that they would be retrofitted with
the slipper clutch at not cost by the dealer when available I would be in for one now but
until something like that is (or isn't) announced I am on hold.

John

Slipper clutch. Why is this not standard equipment on all new models? KTM390 and Yamaha R3 have now BOTH put out great new bikes and left out slipper clutches. Too expensive during production? Doubt it. Makes me wonder if a slipper clutch causes more mechanical problems than it is worth.

The only use I would ever get from a slipper clutch as an everyday street rider is saving my back tire from chicken strips due to excessive engine braking. It's not like I ever send my bike into redline during an engine brake or anything, so it wont "protect" my engine. Why not have slipper clutches "standard" on dirt bikes? Wouldn't they also benefit from the added traction gained?

I do see the benefit, however, if slipper clutches are "all that" why not make them standard on ALL motorcycles. Why do companies hesitate to install them?

Last edited: