Andy

Country flag
Does the custom short shifter fit OEM linkage rods and other aftermarket linkages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A0AM

Country flag
I didn't have time to get my photobooth all fired up so ignore my shitty pictures but the supports are now live. Price came in much higher then expected but there are plenty of reasons to still get this kit! As a bonus my steering stops are ready and waiting as well.
https://store.grayareaktm.com/product-p/gakshift.htm

Can you confirm this works with a 2018? The link (and also when navigating the site) it lists the part for 2015-2016 bikes. Ready to order if you can confirm.

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Can you confirm this works with a 2018? The link (and also when navigating the site) it lists the part for 2015-2016 bikes. Ready to order if you can confirm.

It works for both and is listed for both, it's just the link directs you to the 15s. But its all same same.

A0AM

Country flag
It works for both and is listed for both, it's just the link directs you to the 15s. But its all same same.

Thanks. I ordered. Ouch, shipping is very expensive.

i saw it in the 2017+ List but when clicking it, it clearly shows the same 2015-2016 line. At least it does for me on mobile.

Regardless, I’m excited to get it.

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Thanks. I ordered. Ouch, shipping is very expensive.

i saw it in the 2017+ List but when clicking it, it clearly shows the same 2015-2016 line. At least it does for me on mobile.

Regardless, I’m excited to get it.

I'll verify it is correct when I process the order. It can occasionally get a little wild.

Just an FYI for anyone running the spindle support and Driven rearsets with the OEM kickstand, some dremeling is required to take a little material off the kickstand mounting bracket to get it to fit around the support piece.

A small amount of work for what I consider to be a must-have part on all my bikes (have had my Triumphs shift spindle literally snap off where it enters the case).

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Wow it never even occured to me to check kickstand fitment. I haven't had a kickstand on one of these bikes since I bought mine new in 2015!
Just an FYI for anyone running the spindle support and Driven rearsets with the OEM kickstand, some dremeling is required to take a little material off the kickstand mounting bracket to get it to fit around the support piece.

A small amount of work for what I consider to be a must-have part on all my bikes (have had my Triumphs shift spindle literally snap off where it enters the case).

Got some miles on the bike all back together.

Verdict: This part is a MUST HAVE! Shift feel is vastly improved, it feels like a different transmission now. Shifts are firm and positive.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Ordered.

Going to need to trim my R&G case cover, including sorting out lower mounting point as it's also used for the cover...

a114b7e5929615d0df8f9f333dfbca67.jpg

A0AM

Country flag
I’ve got some minor fab work to do too. I ordered the TYGA rearsets and will need to continue to use the kickstand...

I haven’t got at it yet - but hope it can’t be that bad.

Maybe look into it and release a v2?

I’ve got some minor fab work to do too. I ordered the TYGA rearsets and will need to continue to use the kickstand...

I haven’t got at it yet - but hope it can’t be that bad.

Maybe look into it and release a v2?

15 minutes with a dremel had it sorted. You only need to make a small divet to get enough clearance. I suggest you mock it all up to see where the interference will occur.

A0AM

Country flag
Yeah. Not too worried about it - just haven’t had the chance to look at it as I’m out of town for a bit. I also have rearsets to install and those just came in - So, I’ll do the job together. I don’t have it in front of me, but mine didn’t come with bolts. Do we reuse the same bolts or need to acquire longer bolts to install?

A0AM

Country flag
Got it all mounted. Decided to modify my kickstand rather than any other part.

Attachments

• 8CF0C456-DEB2-419B-B04E-D403E695F110.jpg
    8CF0C456-DEB2-419B-B04E-D403E695F110.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 7D63D6FE-6E84-4F2A-8049-2F1285254E4E.jpg
    7D63D6FE-6E84-4F2A-8049-2F1285254E4E.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 38

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Got it all mounted. Decided to modify my kickstand rather than any other part.

Thanks very much for the photos. My shop is 2 hours away from the track where my bike is garaged, so after my first install attempt failed due to kickstand interference, I brought the kickstand home and I dearly hope I am grinding it sufficiently so it'll fit when I go to the track tomorrow.

I've also found that the new shift arm that came with the kit has a greater offset than the stock piece, pushing the shift rod end about 8mm farther out from the engine. With my rearsets (not Tyga) this causes the rod to interfere with the foot lever, making it unusable. Even if it didn't interfere, it wouldn't be parallel, so it would be inefficient and more prone to binding.

I don't understand why the new shift arm was made this way. It is frustrating. And I'm not sure if I can grind off so much material to try to make it work, without compromising its strength.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Thanks very much for the photos. My shop is 2 hours away from the track where my bike is garaged, so after my first install attempt failed due to kickstand interference, I brought the kickstand home and I dearly hope I am grinding it sufficiently so it'll fit when I go to the track tomorrow.

I've also found that the new shift arm that came with the kit has a greater offset than the stock piece, pushing the shift rod end about 8mm farther out from the engine. With my rearsets (not Tyga) this causes the rod to interfere with the foot lever, making it unusable. Even if it didn't interfere, it wouldn't be parallel, so it would be inefficient and more prone to binding.

I don't understand why the new shift arm was made this way. It is frustrating. And I'm not sure if I can grind off so much material to try to make it work, without compromising its strength.

Reid, if you find yourself stuck, bring the bike by the shop and I'm SURE we can get SOMETHING worked out for you! Another idea is you may be able to mount the link rod on the other side shift arm perhaps. Without seeing it, I'm not sure what all the problem is you are running into exactly, but nothing is impossible! :)

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Reid, if you find yourself stuck, bring the bike by the shop and I'm SURE we can get SOMETHING worked out for you! Another idea is you may be able to mount the link rod on the other side shift arm perhaps. Without seeing it, I'm not sure what all the problem is you are running into exactly, but nothing is impossible! :)
Thanks for the kind offer. Yes, I considered mounting on the other side of the arm, but its shape prevents that, plus that would offset the rod too far in the other direction. I just don't understand why it was made this way in the first place. I mean, the concept was to make a shift arm that is just a bit shorter than stock, in order to make speedier shifts by shortening the throw of the shift lever. I can see no justification for not retaining the other dimensions same as stock.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Uh oh. I've got very tight clearances with my Dyno Jet quick shifter and Chinese rearsets. I'm running GP shift and have used both the Ninja 250 short shifter piece and the stock arm. I went back to the stock shifter arm as I wasn't getting consistent shifting with the shorter arm.

Both lined up well but I had to adjust both to get them straight.

Hoping the shifter brace and arm don't cause me too much grief [emoji24]