A1VW2NV

Country flag
Anybody else interested in or currently riding a snowbike? I've got the bug and am heavily leaning towards a 2016 Timbersled SX. I like 2 strokes, so I'm looking at the KTM 300SX/XC.
AN25844.jpg

Attachments

• 4368_1600.jpg
    4368_1600.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,037
Last edited:

big_sur

I've been drooling over those things. A sled that can enable backcountry skiing gets priority for me, but I think I'd go 500exc. I think they're only like 20-25 lbs heavier and you can make 55+hp with mods. I mean new snowmobiles are 800cc two strokes that makes like 150+ horsepower; you need a lot of power to get through powder.

I'll just leave this here...
[video=youtube;D1c6W8xbF_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1c6W8xbF_s[/video]

sturge

Could be wrong but I would be surprized if those do well in powder...pretty narrow track would likely bog down easily. If you're looking to use it for backcountry skiing, you would obviously need it to do well at going UPHILL in powder so you can get to the goods.
Looks like it would be lots of fun on groomed trails.

RC_AB

We sell alot of them at our dealership, they work better on the bigger 4 strokes because of the torque of the 450/500's. From the customers that we talk to, they love them...although some of them say it's almost too easy that it takes some of the fun out of it. They go anywhere and they glide over powder like it's nothing but they are hard on the bikes, there is quite abit more maintenance needed on the bikes after using them.

emeglasson

They actually do pretty well in medium depth powder, but definitely have trouble with the 'bottom;less' stuff. Quite a bit more nimble an maneuverable than a snowmobile, especially in the trees. Two buddies here have them. One is a 2003 YZF450R, the other is a new KTM 500 EXC. The KTM is a monster; it is a ton of fun. I'm not a huge fan of snowmobiles, but love the Timbersleds!!

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Could be wrong but I would be surprized if those do well in powder...pretty narrow track would likely bog down easily. If you're looking to use it for backcountry skiing, you would obviously need it to do well at going UPHILL in powder so you can get to the goods.
Looks like it would be lots of fun on groomed trails.
Sturge, they can kill it in the powder! Some bikes summit much easier than some high hp sleds. There are deep powder vids all over youtube. The technology has come a long way in the last 3 years alone.
https://youtu.be/8TcjT292QrU