Ryanthegreat1

Ooo pretty. Great progress!

My vote would be for a matte black powder coat. Not sure how well cast aluminum would look anodized.

psych0hans

Country flag
...and with this latest revision to the frame mount... I can now declare:
THE STEERING DAMPER KIT IS NOW OFFICIALLY IN PRODUCTION!!!
View attachment 1478

I'll test the change to the pin as discussed earlier, but that's a totally zero risk change. I'm also still researching between anodization vs powder coating. I'm strongly leaning towards powder coating tho as the gal that does my powder coating in town is FABULOUS, and KTM Orange should be a possible option... :)

I just got back from the test ride and it's terrific! The spot where I was consistently able to get headshake... Gone!
Congratulation Matt!!! Good luck!!!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Ooo pretty. Great progress!

My vote would be for a matte black powder coat. Not sure how well cast aluminum would look anodized.
I'm looking at powder coating of flat black, and KTM orange, for the main parts. The only part at this point I'm considering anodization for is the torque arm pin. I'm not sure. I'll have a few of each made up, then decide what I want to go with for the full production run.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
All the parts have finally finished being cast for the initial production run. I starting machining some of the castings today as well, and will proceed with that on Friday and possibly Saturday as well. The plan is to hand off the parts to powder coat as soon as machining is complete. I've got a quote on anodizing the pin that connects the frame mount to the torque arm for the damper, so will hand the pins for anodizing either tomorrow late afternoon or Monday. Then it's whatever turn around those two companies have. Possibly as long as a week. Then the units will be ready to ship.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
More updates on the production run. Managed to get the plugs for the damper top mount finished, and five of the six top mounts finished with the facing operations. Still need to machine the cap screw locations to the plugs, and the threaded holes to accept the damper itself:
0b4ca2ae6d80c94a85431ab5d2bcd569.jpg

In addition to finishing the facing operation on the sixth top mount, I then have this pile of fame clamps to machine tomorrow as well... Half well be for the damper kit, the other half for a yet to be announced product (waves to Edward):
343c9ada23908f0ba637e9ffc7fe6ddd.jpg

Then all that remains to be done prior to handing off for powder coating the brackets, and anodization of the torque pin, is time on the lathe to turn the torque pins and then back to the mill to machine the flats. Hoping to finish all the machining tomorrow... Might run into Sunday tho. One way or another tho, everything will be handed of to the finishing team very soon!

rnitchy

Country flag
not sure if you thought of this, but is there any way to attach a tubular steering damper to the fork near the bottom triple clamp instead of the top. Could be a clamp attachment around one of the fork legs, then maybe attach on the side of the trellis frame hidden under the side fairing?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
not sure if you thought of this, but is there any way to attach a tubular steering damper to the fork near the bottom triple clamp instead of the top. Could be a clamp attachment around one of the fork legs, then maybe attach on the side of the trellis frame hidden under the side fairing?
I tried! There's just not enough room.