Need Help Termination Unit gets really hot

Dcook

Country flag
So I recently bought a 2015 RC 390 Cup bike. I installed a battery tender on it and left it on for about 5 days. I came back today and the Termination Unit was really hot. When I removed the battery tender it cooled down again.

Has anyone experienced this?
Does it need to be replaced or is the symptom of another problem. Like a short somewhere?

Thanks for the help,

Attachments

• B55ED7D3-4AFE-4861-B266-EF7410C2718E.jpeg
    B55ED7D3-4AFE-4861-B266-EF7410C2718E.jpeg
    891.5 KB · Views: 11

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I have to admit, I'm not even sure WTF the "termination unit" even is. That's a new one to me. What's it connected to?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Just did a dive through the shop manual, and wiring diagram, and can't find any hint of anything called a "termination unit". Unfortunately, the shop mule here is in my shipping container, and recent rains caused it to settle into the ground some, and now the door is blocked by the concrete slab in front of it... so to get the doors open, I need to lift that front right corner. Problem is, my farm jacks... are in the container. My digging bar... is in the container. So now I need to figure out how to lift that corner 1/2" so i can get the doors open enough to jack up the front more and stick some concrete pavers under the front. The joys of Central Texas!!! LOL

Dcook

Country flag
I haven’t had time to trace it back yet. I have tried to google it and couldn’t find anything about it.

Dcook

Country flag
Just did a dive through the shop manual, and wiring diagram, and can't find any hint of anything called a "termination unit". Unfortunately, the shop mule here is in my shipping container, and recent rains caused it to settle into the ground some, and now the door is blocked by the concrete slab in front of it... so to get the doors open, I need to lift that front right corner. Problem is, my farm jacks... are in the container. My digging bar... is in the container. So now I need to figure out how to lift that corner 1/2" so i can get the doors open enough to jack up the front more and stick some concrete pavers under the front. The joys of Central Texas!!! LOL
Oh that sounds like is sucks. Thank you for taking the time out. I hope you get things open soon.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I haven’t had time to trace it back yet. I have tried to google it and couldn’t find anything about it.
What color are the wires going to and from the "termination unit"? The fuse it's connected to may also tell what it is. Here's an excerpt from the manual:

1665064968832.png

Dcook

Country flag
So looking at the fuse box just gave me a thought. There is no fuse in the spot 15. Since it has no lights, horn or any of that crap. Could this be the other end of the harness that connects to the light relay? Maybe the termination unit is an aftermarket piece to replace the light relay.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Can you be MUCH more specific? I need total number of wires in and out, and the exact color of each wire, primary, stripe, or solid.

Reason is, I'm not seeing ANY wires in the wiring diagram with are "br-or" (Brown with Orange Stripe) or "or-br" (Orange with Brown Stripe).

I'm seeing the following valid / called out wire colors on the wiring diagram:
BR-BU: Brown with Blue Stripe
BR-WH: Brown with White Stripe
BR-GN: Brown with Green Stripe
BR-PK: Brown with Pink Stripe
BR-RD: Brown with Red Stripe
OR-WH: Orange with White Stripe
OR-BL: Orange with Black Stripe
OR-BU: Orange with Blue Stripe

None of those are brown with orange, or orange with brown.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
So looking at the fuse box just gave me a thought. There is no fuse in the spot 15. Since it has no lights, horn or any of that crap. Could this be the other end of the harness that connects to the light relay? Maybe the termination unit is an aftermarket piece to replace the light relay.
uhmmmm. Spot "15"??? There are only 10 actively used fuses, and 4 spares.

Dcook

Country flag
Sorry I looked at the wrong wires. The ones coming in and out of the termination unit are green
yellow with blues stripe
black with yellow black stripe
yellow with black stripe
yellow with green stripe
yellow with blue stripe

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
K20, the turn signal relay, has 3 wires:
BR: Brown In
BL-YE: Black with Yellow Stripe In
OR: Orange out

K13, the high beam relay, has 4 wires:
BL-YE: Black with Yellow Stripe In
RD-BL: Red with Back Stripe In
BU-BL: Blue with Black Stripe Out
WH: White Out

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Sorry I looked at the wrong wires. The ones coming in and out of the termination unit are green
yellow with blues stripe
black with yellow black stripe
yellow with black stripe
yellow with green stripe
yellow with blue stripe
So trying to sort this out, looking at things with a YE-BU (Yellow with Blue Stripe) was the easiest method of trying to sort this out. I'm seeing 4 items with a YE-BU wire connected to it:
B26: Rollover Sensor
B30: Side Stand Switch
B32: Fuel Tank Sensor
B45: Temp and pressure sensor

1665067730027.png

Dcook

Country flag
This is a picture I found online of a stock bike. The termination unit in my bike is sitting in that spot to all the way to the left.

Attachments

• 1270BAF7-350C-454A-896A-C47B85D0C834.jpeg
    1270BAF7-350C-454A-896A-C47B85D0C834.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 10

Dcook

Country flag
So just to give an update. I added the ignition key delete and put the bike back on the tender. The “Termination Unit” didn’t get hot again.