tecknojoe

Country flag
200 bucks cheaper and no cat? that's a nice offering

I'd love to see an all things equal comparison between the new and old one

F1Tod

I own a 390 Duke. Does this system require that I remove the rear pegs? How is the sound compared to the cat systems?
Thanks for getting these in!
-Tod

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Tod, you can use with the passenger foot pegs, have to drill and tap the hanger (bosses are cast in from factory). Or you can remove them and use the race style hanger for the Duke. Either way is up to you. The race style hanger is about 100 bucks. Have not installed yet so I can't comment on sound. They just arrived yesterday :)

DeathFromAbove

Header pipes usually mount to the engine at the exhaust port, that's just a section of a slip on exhaust.

Would be cool if we had an option for a full exhaust system.

DeathFromAbove

True, probably not much to improve on there except for maybe saving a few ounces by using an exotic material like titanium.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Got to do back to back testing on a stock engine RC 390 (K&N, lid mod, akra map, PCV only mods) yesterday. Results are good for the new Akrapovic system! Nice gains in the mid-range, and flatter peak power. It made about 2.5 hp in the mid. Strange thing is that the cat one makes about a tenth more peak hp on all my pulls. The added front side and flatter peak area is worth more than the tenth peak loss. The weight savings will offset the tenth loss anyway :). The sound is a little crisper, sounds nice, slightly louder than previous cat'ed one, not obnoxious like other exhaust. The testing was done back to back same bike on dyno within an hour of time. Will have audio uploaded for you all too in a couple days. Took a slight mapping touch up, was a little lean thru the mid (where gains are). I will be using this system on my built engine kit mule here. I highy recommend it.

akracats.jpg

009 is cat'ed akra, 019 is new non cat akra.

The catless akra compared to the yosh makes better mid-range gains than the yosh along with flatter peak/over-rev. I don't think bang for buck you can beat this system! Fit/finish/performance and weight are top notch.

F1Tod

Thank you for the detailed report Chad. I appreciate all your hard work you put into tuning our 390's. I love the way my bike runs after your massaging. This sounds like the exhaust for me. I was concerned about the sound. Not too hard on the neighbors,right?!
-Tod

D

Deleted member 452

Hey Chad- I noticed this dyno run is a hair richer than some of your other great maps (12.5 Vs. 13.0). Is the change to make more power, more torque, or prevent detonation (my bike pings under load in 5th & 6th gear with the thin head gasket)?

KTMPerformance

Here's a quick clip for comparing sound on the Cat vs Open mid-pipes!

[video=youtube;ZB-1R-Eb-hA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-1R-Eb-hA[/video]