These bikes crash really well.

ArkansasDave

Long story short, buddy low sided my bike at the track and it scratched the front brake lever and broke the rear brake lever. None of the body work was touched.

mitch

i toppled mine at a real low speed and didn't slide, and the same thing happened, i did have a few nicks real low on my belly pan and on the bar end but i was expecting WAY worse.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Which side went down? I'm curious if BOTH sides would fair as well.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I dropped mine on the right and the most visible sign of damage is a nick on the bar end and passenger peg bracket, not much else.
That's what I'm wondering... If everyone is dropping the right... That left case cover is the concerning one in my book as that sticks WAY out there. That seems to be the one racers are most likely to destroy in a crash from my looking at the bike... Bit I haven't actually laid the bike over on its side, or tried putting a flat sheet of something up against the bike, to see what would actually contact first and what the three contact points would be.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Which indicates that the RIGHT side crashes well... but left... unknown. Given the cup riders getting the plastic insert to put over their left side case cover, maybe the bodywork is spared, maybe not. I know the left side case cover takes a hit on the left side lowsides at the very least based on photos I've seen from cup riders... but none of them ever told me about if the bodywork also got hit. Just that the left case cover got detonated... but those are race crashes as well so...

Spent several hours this weekend with KTM's national crew chief. He has convinced me these bikes crash very well. So well, that I may just stay with KTM bodywork.

Buildable

I have heaps of experience with the bike going down on the left side! I've downed the bike on the left side twice now...

It does take a crash really well.

Once was due to the side stand falling off, which resulted in ignition cap getting damaged (very minor) and the handle bar ends + mirror getting scratched. No damage to gear shifter or fairings.

Second time a car hit me on the right and knocked the bike onto it's left side, it slid for about 3m before hitting a gutter. Where the bike was hit on the right side only the fairing sticker had to be replaced. The left side was a bit more costly, deep scratches in fairings, igniton cap all messed up, bent shifter (which still worked despite being mangled) and a few other scratches here and there. Considering the bike was slammed into a gutter it came out really well. I could have driven the bike back into work no problem.

The left case defiently explodes, even with very minor drops. I highly recommend the cover you can get for it.

Just don't drop your bike, especially in Aus, 4k to repair.

- If you want any details about the damage done to the bike let me know.

Last edited:

ray

The Duke 200/390's were notorious in getting their chassis bent out on small street crashes :D

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
.If you want any details about the damage done to the bike let me know.

Please share pics of left side damage. I'm particularly interested in what happens to the left side case cover, where the impact originates, avid how it fails. I'm designing a replacement heavy duty cover, but seeing covers which failed will greatly assist with the failure analysis.

aj@x

From what i've seen it's the lower outer edge of ignition that contacts, there are some orange plastic doohickies that KTM gave out to some cup riders that help. I'd like to see carbon rings or aluminium rings that use 3m tape to adhere to the engine cover instead of the small orange plastic KTM wedge, the tape on that amount of surface area will easily hold the protector on till the point it is still useful (ie ground away sacrificially in a more serious accident) rather than an average bingle.

While we are on the subject of making things, could you guys please consider replacement Rear brake and Gear selecter levers? Make them so the toe nub is adjustable up and down the shaft and also make it so it sticks out a little more, the stock toe nub is too short. I would buy them in a heartbeat, plus the stock ones snap off if you drop the bike leaving the rider stranded...

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The failed covers from the cup riders I've seen were SO grenaded failure analysis wasn't really possible. In many cases even the plastic bit KTM have the riders was shattered, if any of it even made it back to the pits... Sticking something onto the case was the solution KTM came up with for the season, but ($0.02) it's a dumb solution. The impact just obliterated everything or tore the cover addition off then the case cover exploded. Typically all I could see in the resulting photos was massive chunks missing and the remnants with fractures through whatever remained attached to the case. Of course, those are racing get offs, which can be far more dramatic. What I don't have is photos of parking lot tipovers. I've got a good design I think that'll work for racers. Keeping the profile low, avoiding anything which can be grabbed, sloped sides to try and prevent anything from flipping the bike, that sort of thing. This is usually a low side crash prevention thing. The rider is already leaned over. The impact of a direct fall from fully outright is more energy with the fall for initial hit. Where that impact occurs will determine how much material I add, and where. Right now without failure photos, I'm just having to make an educated guess about how the cover would fail and where. Having a photo would greatly aid in verification of theory and analysis of an actual failure.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
While we are on the subject of making things, could you guys please consider replacement Rear brake and Gear selecter levers? Make them so the toe nub is adjustable up and down the shaft and also make it so it sticks out a little more, the stock toe nub is too short. I would buy them in a heartbeat, plus the stock ones snap off if you drop the bike leaving the rider stranded...

The KTM parts are pretty cheap. I'd be difficult to impossible for me to compete price wise there. That's why I'm carrying the Tyga rear sets. Those have all those parts as available replacement pieces. As for ending up stranded... Well... Don't crash! LOL Seriously tho, it is possible to get around in an emergency situation of a "just gotta ride home" scenario with a broken shift lever. BTDT Not on the RC390... but...

I've got a great story about launching myself into low earth orbit on my old 87 Gixxer 750. This photo was taken about thirty seconds prior to launch...

168b1019740a04c7b13190c61913c29a.jpg

If you are attempting to ride off the curb in front of a hotel, first, check to make sure you aren't on an asphalt colored mat, when you drop the clutch to carry the front wheel over the curb. When you finish shooting the mat out from under the rear wheel, at about the time you are thinking you just just have forgotten to put the bike in gear, the rear wheel will grab traction and LEAP the bike... With a rear wheel speed of about 50mph. You'll land about 20' away from where you were... and have no idea WTF just happened.

"Tank, load the jump program." :)

I also learned that evening how to bump start, and clutchless shift, with a missing clutch lever. My Gixxer never quite forgave me for that evening, but it did get me home...

t3ddftw

I dropped my bike on the left side while making a u-turn uphill. The shift lever broke off, the clutch lever, bar end and mirror took damage as well. The fairings took zero damage and without replacing the mirror, I'm looking at $36 in parts. FWIW, I rode the bike home in third gear so I wasn't "stranded" :)

Biker

Country flag
That's what I'm wondering... If everyone is dropping the right... That left case cover is the concerning one in my book as that sticks WAY out there. That seems to be the one racers are most likely to destroy in a crash from my looking at the bike... Bit I haven't actually laid the bike over on its side, or tried putting a flat sheet of something up against the bike, to see what would actually contact first and what the three contact points would be.

Left case cover touches first. I dropped the bike practically standing still when I took delivery and that got scratched (not the most glorious day in my life lol). In a high speed crash it would surely crack IMHO.

Biker

Country flag
Please share pics of left side damage. I'm particularly interested in what happens to the left side case cover, where the impact originates, avid how it fails. I'm designing a replacement heavy duty cover, but seeing covers which failed will greatly assist with the failure analysis.

impact originates at 6 'o' clock position