Thoughts on picking up a 18 RC390

josefmd

Country flag
I have been riding a HD Sportster 48, and a Grom that I sold last summer. I also have a 16 KTM 200 XCW, as well as a 06 Kawi KDX 200 that I do dual sport rides on. I have been in the market for a RC390, or the Ninja 400 to get back into a more sporty ride, and also finally do a few track days. I know there has been some reliability issues in the past, but can anyone confirm that the later yrs 2017/18 have gotten better. My local dealer has a 18 for $4999+TTL(they do not charge any other fees) and with the 0.9% for 60 promotion from KTM it's a heck of bang for the buck. Would you guys buy a RC390 again if you would do it all over a again?

Seth

Country flag
Would you guys buy a RC390 again if you would do it all over a again?

Lets see if I would. For 5k, A brand new bike that looks like a stealth airplane, that has ABS, and achieves a 50/50 weight to power with a trellis frame.. Absolutely.

Chuditch

Love my my017 RC. Zero issues and for someone used to riding bigger bikes it was a breath of fresh air. Power to weight ratio, handling etc all very good. Only thing I would say still let's them down is the quality of suspension, noticeable if you weigh over 95kg like I do. The stock suspension worked but installing Ohlins rear and bitubo front really showed me this bikes true potential.

josefmd

Country flag
Lets see if I would. For 5k, A brand new bike that looks like a stealth airplane, that has ABS, and achieves a 50/50 weight to power with a trellis frame.. Absolutely.

I hear ya!! For the money it seems like a no brainer to thrash around the back roads even if some issues creep up.:) I don't put on a lot of miles on my bikes. I have 5300 on my 13 Sportster 48 in five yrs. The 390 would just be a weekend toy.

Love my my017 RC. Zero issues and for someone used to riding bigger bikes it was a breath of fresh air. Power to weight ratio, handling etc all very good. Only thing I would say still let's them down is the quality of suspension, noticeable if you weigh over 95kg like I do. The stock suspension worked but installing Ohlins rear and bitubo front really showed me this bikes true potential.

That's what I have read regarding the suspension for heavier riders. I am 180LBS, so a upgrade will be a must. I have always loved the small dis bikes. I had a 12 Ninja 250 that I bought used, and made some small upgrades. I had a blast on that for a while. My only other decision is to keep the Harley, and add the 390, or trade/sell it to have the KTM as my only street bike.

Chuditch

I would keep the Harley, I have one bike and it's the RC. I am looking at getting something bigger, a quick cruiser maybe.

One is none. Two is one etc

Last edited:

=maz=

Country flag
Would you guys buy a RC390 again if you would do it all over a again?

Nope...I wouldn't do it again.
Handles great, don't get me wrong...the frame is the biggest selling point IMHO. But as a racer buying small parts is a nightmare and not cost effective.

josefmd

Country flag
Nope...I wouldn't do it again.
Handles great, don't get me wrong...the frame is the biggest selling point IMHO. But as a racer buying small parts is a nightmare and not cost effective.

I would imagine that racing any one of these small bore bikes get's expense. I have no plans to race. Just weekend rides, and a few track days here and there. Like a lot of people I am just concerned about reliability with normal use.

cameronc56

For the price... Yes. For my first bike, absolutely.

But had I known I would enjoy riding so much and how useless they are on the freeway I would have gotten something quite a bit faster.

rompus

For the price... Yes. For my first bike, absolutely.

But had I known I would enjoy riding so much and how useless they are on the freeway I would have gotten something quite a bit faster.

Kind of confused by the useless on the freeway quote. The bike will do at least a 100 miles an hour. Mine lives on the backroads, I rarely go anywhere near a freeway, whats the point? I kept up with a CBR600 on the backroads, so as far as underpowered I think it comes down to rider experience and skill to get max corner speed.Going fast on a freeway is an invitation for a ticket which I have had many and learned my lesson years ago.

cameronc56

100 does feel quite slow on the freeway, and its especially slow on my local track pacific raceways, as most bikes are getting up to 150-200 on the straightaway.

Its not that going over 100 is practical (bikes in general aren’t...), but that accelleration past 80 is just not there, and 80 tends to be the average speed of traffic around me. Plus 80+ is loud, harsh, the pegs are vibrating like mad and theres some noticable wheel shake.

john13

Country flag
I'm not sure about the speed demons here, but its an awesome around town, commuting bike for me. I gets up to 80 plenty quick and past that you're asking for a ticket IMHO.

Its a big single so def lots of vibes and doesn't like to be under ~4k. But I do get at least 50mpg and I go pretty hard. Also its a sport bike so riding more than 100 miles at once sucks pretty hard.

I've heard the '18's are getting an improved cylinder head so the gasket issue should be better...knock on wood.

End of the day, I love my 390 and would do it again in a heartbeat, especially for $5,500 OTD.

Chuditch

I'm not sure about the speed demons here, but its an awesome around town, commuting bike for me. I gets up to 80 plenty quick and past that you're asking for a ticket IMHO.

Its a big single so def lots of vibes and doesn't like to be under ~4k. But I do get at least 50mpg and I go pretty hard. Also its a sport bike so riding more than 100 miles at once sucks pretty hard.

I've heard the '18's are getting an improved cylinder head so the gasket issue should be better...knock on wood.

End of the day, I love my 390 and would do it again in a heartbeat, especially for $5,500 OTD.

Where I live, 110kmh is the maximum highway speed with most metro freeways ranking between 90kmh to 100kmh. So the RC is plenty fast for those purposes, probably not the best tourer, but hey, it never pretended it was.

Given that the the top speed of a stock older model is 167kmh (104mph) and that this is a well known number, I am surprised, that others are being surprised, when their RC's max out at that number.....

Now if we consider power mods (PCV etc) and suspension mods, I would say it would be easily possible to make more power, in different rev ranges) engine speeds..... but it really is best in the acceleration.

If you want a bike that will 'cruise' over 100mph then maybe the R3 is what you should spend your (more) money on. If you want a torque monster down low, up 100mph then look no further than the RC. There really isn't anything close to the RC390 bang for buck except maybe the CFMoto 650nk, however that thing is a heavy bugger, it probably would be better on the freeway/highway for cruising up top though.

I have the 17 RC, which is the same as the 18 RC, vibes really aren't that bad, even with stock fuelling, so far so good as far as head and gasket issues go (knock knock).

I am reminded by something a friend said to me once, bikes aren't fast, the rider makes a bike fast....

josefmd

Country flag
Haven't been on here in a while, but thought I would update this thread. I ended up trading the Harley for a 18 SV650 which I have had for a little over a year. Great bike as everyone knows, but not as sexy as the RC390. I also picked up a used 2013 DRZ 400SM with all the tasteful mods I would have done myself. Can't help myself thinking about selling the DRZ and picking up a used RC390. :)

So took the plunge. Picked up a leftover 18 from Barnes Bro’s in Pa last Friday. Think I got a decent deal $4500 and after I paid tax when I reg it in OH $4798 all in. So far loving it. Slapped a Vangabond fender eliminator on it late Friday night, and planning on doing a slip on as well as well as changing out coolant for some Engine Ice coolant.

Last edited:
Congrats! While you're doing coolant, you can do the radiator high pressure cap, spal fan, and a trail tech temperature gauge all at once.

My RC390s live on the track. First one was mostly stock.

josefmd

Country flag
Haven't been on here in a while, but thought I would update this thread. I ended up trading the Harley for a 18 SV650 which I have had for a little over a year. Great bike as everyone knows, but not as sexy as the RC390. I also picked up a used 2013 DRZ 400SM with all the tasteful mods I would have done myself. Can't help myself thinking about selling the DRZ and picking up a used RC390. :)

So took the plunge. Picked up a leftover 18 from Barnes Bro’s in Pa last Friday. Think I got a decent deal $4500 and after I paid tax when I reg it in OH $4798 all in. So far loving it. Slapped a Vangabond fender eliminator on it late Friday night, and planning on doing a slip on as well as well as changing out coolant for some Engine Ice coolant.

Installed Yoshi R77 exhaust yesterday...

IMG_8274.jpg