Titanium/Alu Bolts

psych0hans

Country flag
Hi, I wanted to switch over to using Titanium/Aluminum bolts wherever I can on the bike, starting with the rotating mass. I was wondering what the sizes of the various bolts are such as the brake rotor bolts and sprocket bolts. Also would be interested in switching over to Titanium Banjo Bolts, are the OE ones M10x1.0mm? Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Rexbo

Country flag
Definitely recommend against aluminum fasteners... far too soft a material and you'll potentially run into galvanic corrosion issues.

But if you're dead set all of the fastener sizes are listed in the back of the owners manual where the torque listings are.

psych0hans

Country flag
Definitely recommend against aluminum fasteners... far too soft a material and you'll potentially run into galvanic corrosion issues.

But if you're dead set all of the fastener sizes are listed in the back of the owners manual where the torque listings are.
Brilliant, thank you. I'll definitely stick to titanium for all the stress related bolts and only use aluminium for fairings and stuff.

reenmachine

Country flag
I've been resisting joining this thread but I can't help it. :p

What are you hoping to accomplish? The only acceptable answer is, "I just want to do it. It'll be fun and make me feel good" and that's TOTALLY OK!

You're not going to see any increase in performance, and you'll likely see a reduction in reliability.

psych0hans

Country flag
What are you hoping to accomplish? The only acceptable answer is, "I just want to do it. It'll be fun and make me feel good" and that's TOTALLY OK!
This, also I'm going to be adding some weight to the bike in the way of wider rims(these might actually be lighter than stock) and dual disc brakes, so I just feel this is a way to offset some of that weight. Also the brag factor isn't too bad either...

Last edited:

Muckabucka

Country flag
It's a lot of work, but this is what I've done for my KTM. I've pulled each bolt, measured and replaced. Aluminum can be used in any non stress application, and Ti where it's needed. Add some anti seize to ensure you don't have issues. You would be surprised how much weight you loose when you weigh what you've pulled off vs. what you've replaced it with. Bottom line is it all adds up. Once I get my bike rebuilt, I have the ability to weigh it, and I'll post results when I do.

psych0hans

Country flag
Just found this on eBay which should provide a good reference for which bolts to order.

Orange 162pcs Fairings Bolt Kit Fastener Nuts Screws for KTM RC125 RC200 RC390 | eBay

Item Description

Windshield & Fairing Screw Kit

- High Quality Stainless Steel Bolt Kit Set
- Fixed Quantity Include:

• 20pcs M5 x 20mm Button Head Screw
  • 8pcs M5 x 25mm Button Head Screw
  • 10pcs 5.6mm Push-Type Retainer
  • 10pcs M6 x 16mm Button Head Screw
  • 20pcs M6 x 20mm Button Head Screw
  • 4pcs M6 x 40mm Button Head Screw
  • 20pcs M5 Flat Washer (Nylon)
  • 15pcs M6 Flat Washer (Nylon)
  • 15pcs M6 Shoulder Washer x 9.5mm lg.
  • 10pcs M5 Speed Nut (Steel)
  • 5pcs M6 Speed Nut (Steel)
  • 5pcs 4mm Truss Head Phillips x 12.7mm lg.
  • 10pcs M5 Rubber Nut lnsert (well nut)
  • 5pcs M6 Rubber Nut lnsert (well nut)
  • 5pcs 5mm Truss Head Phillips x 19mm lg.

Total Number of Pieces will be 162

Installs: ALL fairing pieces including, but not limited to:

• Upper
  • Mids
  • Lowers
  • Tail
  • Trim
  • Front Fender
  • Windscreen

psych0hans

Country flag
Steel junk bolts out - had to use these as I couldn't find any better ones in M10x1.25 for my RC8 forks.

Titanium Bolts in - total saving of 41gms on 2 bolts. Nothing to write home about, but they sure do look pretty :p

as said before, these are M10 bolts, I'm sure the stock M8 ones won't be as heavy as these steel ones.