track day -- what parts do you drag?

Invigiator

Country flag
In order, starting from what drags first with lean angle, which stock parts can be modified (2019 RC390)?

It must be the rearsets first, but looking at the bike it seems that the stock exhaust (and foot cover) would drag at almost the same time. So is it a waste of time to get rearsets with the stock exhaust system? I read some people complain about the sidestand but it doesn't look like it would touch before the exhaust, and about the same time as the engine casing on that side.

I am new to the RC390 and plan to take it to a track day eventually but am concerned about lean angle, as this has been a problem very quickly on any other stock bike I have ridden. The bike was such good value at the new price that I am not spending money on engine/suspension parts because I would quickly double the price! I can get really cheap rearsets but there's no point if the exhaust needs replacing at the same time at great expense.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Well, FIRST up, you need to look at your suspension. If you are anything over 120# you are going to need to do something about that before ANYTHING else. Then yeah, rearsets are second up. If you are taking it to the track, you'll then also need to look at a catchment capable belly pan... as pretty much every race org or trackday club is likely going to require 2L of catchment. The corner workers and other riders are going to be MIGHTILY pissed if you get shit on the track because you don't have a decent bellypan. You technically can run the cheap chinese rearsets, but keep in mind there aren't spares available. So, you crash, you are going to need a full kit. Again. and potentially again. and again. I stock the Tyga rearsets, and have all spares available and also always in stock... so if you lowside on a Friday and need parts in hand Saturday, I can (and have) spring to action and get them send next day Saturday delivery to the track so you have the parts in hand for the rest of the weekend. I recommend folks keep the hangers, levers, and at least one peg in their spares box, as you do not want to be out a weekend for want of a part or 2 that are cheap and easy to replace, but everyone has to decide what level of spares they bring with them to the track. {shrug}

I developed the shock swap option, and you can always throw springs and oil at the front end, and that will get you through most of the requirements for suspension for trackdays. Springs and oil will do well for trackdays or racing, but for the rear if you are going to be racing it's better to look at a higher end shock... but if you are cash strapped, and only doing trackdays for now, then throw either a 99-02 R6 shock or a 97-98 R1 shock at the rear end. I've got springs in stock to get you sorted out for the rear end, and the DIY kit for doing the rear shock. You didn't say what year the bike is, so you may need to do an exhaust as well to get the R6 or R1 shock on there. The Tyga header (also always in stock) will allow you to run any 14-16 exhaust, and there are cheap options out there, tho many will cost you HP. The five best options for exhausts are:
1) Tyga WSS300 Exhaust - This will get your the most power for the $$$, hands down, and there's no better performing exhaust available.

The next 4 options are all pretty much dead even performance wise, with the powerband moved around a little here and there, but basically, they are pretty much the same. These are:
2-3) Side Exit - Either the Akrapovik or Arrow
4-5) Undertail - Either the Yoshimura or Tyga (choice of either the Carbon Oval or Maggot cans)

If you are doing the exhaust, you can then also do the airbox, and at the same time you'd need a PCv or a RapidBike Evo. That's where you'll really see the power performance advantage with huge increases in both midrange and peak HP. You can do the exhaust without a PCv or RBE, but you can NOT do the airbox without one... that's a quick trip to a new topend without it. These things run lean already, and the LAST thing you want to do is lean it out more!!!

There's lots of threads on here about these options and I'm always happy to take calls and answer emails as well. :)