Turning signals

Whou97

I like having my turning signals but i dont like the way the stock ones look. Is there a way to make the brake light have integrated turning signals? And no i dont want to spend over $100 for some led thinner signals. Just a thought.

CuriousCat

Country flag
I'm actually okay with the rear ones if you do a fender eliminator kit. The front ones are the real ugly duckling and they feel like they're gonna snap off any minute. I'm looking for flush mounts for them.

Fasteddy

Country flag
I did the EU / non North American conversion, LED mirror on front smaller LED on rear looks much better!
Did minor modification to wiring harness near instrument cluster to feed to mirrors...

20160420_073609.jpg

Whou97

Fasteddy i like the mirror turning signals. Doesnt actually look bad. i just took my fronts off and put bar end mirrors and got a fender eliminator with the rears attatched.

diegs

@FastEddy I finally got the space to take apart my bike and attempt this... do you mind saying more on what wiring harness mod you did? The stock connectors for the NA blinkers are under the battery compartment and don't seem to have any slack. Is there another pair of connectors hanging out under the instrument cluster or something? Did you happen to take any pictures of what you did?

I bought the euro front and rear signals a few years ago. They seem to have some sort of in-line resistors but when I hooked up the front signals to test end-to-end it still blinks super fast. Guess I'll need to replace the flasher relay as well.

Fasteddy

Country flag
The harness that that runs to the combo instrument has both the green and gray wires for indicators running in it, I opened up the loom where the extra red connector is at and located the gray and correct green, there are two green wires, and extended them out to the mirrors. I used square molex female pins held in place with heat shrink for connectors, having done this I would suggest just cutting and reusing the connectors from the existing harness.

The flasher unit was upgraded to the three prong version, KTM part - 90511030000 FLASHER RELAY - You just have to add a ground connection to the middle terminal.

20160228_130542.jpg20160228_161033.jpg20160228_160407.jpg20160228_161657.jpg

Fasteddy

Country flag
Brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing that info.

I was able to find pics of an EU wiring harness on ebay and just copied it knowing he indicator leads go to combo inst.
the flasher is used on some NA bikes like the 990 SuperDuke R...

diegs

Yup, I got a 2-prong LED flasher relay off amazon so I'll try that (once I figure out which one is the flasher relay... :). Just surprised given all the inline resistor stuff.

diegs

Well, I finally got around to finishing this up, and without it being too much of a hack-job I have the turn signals wired into the cluster, with the plugs in place so I can take the mirrors off for track days!

@Fasteddy, thanks again for all your help. I'm stuck on one last piece: I have the other relay and the pigtail adapter cable thing (don't remember when/why I bought that), but I can't seem to make it work. I assume that the brown wire is supposed to be the ground, but no matter what I hook it to (even stretch it straight to the negative battery terminal) the flashers don't run when I have it plugged in.

Any thoughts? Here's a picture of the relay and adapter:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t9bBdPZCjaaaDYz86

diegs

After a lot of trial and error I still wasn't able to figure out how to wire that thing up. Does anyone happen to know where I can find a wiring diagram that might show me what wires going into the relay are? I'm worried about just plugging jumper cables into the 3-prong randomly and blowing it out or something.