Tyga Panels

Andy

Country flag
Question regarding the RC390 fairing panels. It says on website that the inner panels can only be used with the outer panels and not with the OE panels.

What is the reason for this, is it because of different fixing points?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
It's because the panel fitment of how the two connect together. The OEM shape is injection molded where as the Tyga panels are hand laid fiberglass, and getting the two to connect together isn't really possible. The two Tyga panels fit together and bolt up to the bike the same as if there were two OEM panels fitted together, but you can't fit say an OEM outer panel to a Tyga inner panel, or vice versa. They look the same once fit together, but you can't mix and match the two. Either both need to be OEM, or both need to be Tyga. I keep them in stock in the US. If you are from the UK, you'll need to order from the Tyga UK distributor at https://www.jap4performance.com/

Andy

Country flag
It's because the panel fitment of how the two connect together. The OEM shape is injection molded where as the Tyga panels are hand laid fiberglass, and getting the two to connect together isn't really possible. The two Tyga panels fit together and bolt up to the bike the same as if there were two OEM panels fitted together, but you can't fit say an OEM outer panel to a Tyga inner panel, or vice versa. They look the same once fit together, but you can't mix and match the two. Either both need to be OEM, or both need to be Tyga. I keep them in stock in the US. If you are from the UK, you'll need to order from the Tyga UK distributor at https://www.jap4performance.com/
Ok thanks for the info.

Andy

Country flag
The inner side panels on my 2015 have become brittle and cracked around the mounting points and I’m looking at options to replace.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
If it's just a small crack, you can repair it with plastic welding. There are a few techniques. If you have a soldering iron, you can use that to melt the ABS plastic and reflow the plastic back together. If you have a Dremel you can get some ABS like for a 3D printer and take 2" pieces and chuck up some of the ABS filament and spin it up in the Dremel and then use friction stir welding to basically use the heat of the friction of the ABS strand and push that into the cracks and repair it. There are other techniques as well that use small bent pieces of metal in an S or M shape where you heat the metal up, then press that red hot metal into the ABS half way through the material. That then bridges the crack and adds strength. That, followed up with plastic welding either with a soldering iron or the Dremel technique will usually do a pretty decent job of fixing any cracks.

The other alternative is to replace the panels. KTM has them available from any dealer, or you can go with aftermarket like the Tyga panels. The Tyga panels are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the OEM stuff. For racing applications, a ton of racers replace the OEM plastic with fiberglass because it's easier to repair and lighter. That's pretty much your options. Well, you could try to buy some used bits off eBay as well I suppose, but if it were me, I'd just either repair what you have or replace with fiberglass.

Andy

Country flag
Thanks, bike comes off road soon as I’m going away with work then through the winter I can work on it. Got a few things to do on it so it’ll be ready again in 2023. Suprised that it’ll be an 8 year old bike next year!