Tyga upper fairing kit - street version

antarius

Tyga always makes fantastic, top-notch quality stuff. They've been around for quite a while and are huge in the Aprilia world. They also stand behind their stuff - I wouldn't hesitate for one second.

karizzle38

lol i was about to say something similar. that fairing kit just doesn't look good at all imo. makes it look like a fake r3 or maybe daytona 675 kinda. if mine were a streetbike, i would go for something like this and add some bar end mirrors. but hey to each their own i guess. i think ktm powerparts makes the larger windescreen upper fairing street version.
2014-KTM-RC-390-3.jpeg

Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Fitment is perfect, and very easy to install. The tricky part some folks get hung up on is how to remove the stock upper fairing stay, not realizing it's a clambshell design so you have to split the stock fairing stay to get everyting disconnected. Install takes less than half an hour and is plug and play. I'm running the carbon one on the test mule here, but I also have them in inventory in Fiberglass.

Carbon-1.jpgCarbon-2.jpgCarbon-3.jpg

geoff_s14

Fitment is perfect, and very easy to install. The tricky part some folks get hung up on is how to remove the stock upper fairing stay, not realizing it's a clambshell design so you have to split the stock fairing stay to get everyting disconnected. Install takes less than half an hour and is plug and play. I'm running the carbon one on the test mule here, but I also have them in inventory in Fiberglass.

Matt, Is the white finish on the fibreglass version a match for the white of the existing fairing side panels, or would it need painting to match properly? It's not been clear from the pics I've seen.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Matt, Is the white finish on the fibreglass version a match for the white of the existing fairing side panels, or would it need painting to match properly? It's not been clear from the pics I've seen.

The white is an initial primer coat, and would likely still need block sanding and another primer coat before paint. Generally the fiberglass parts are intended for racers who paint their own glass (ala rattlecan most of the time LOL), as well as typically repair it after a getoff on the track. When the fiberglass is used on the street it's typically going to get a few coats of primer and additional block sanding before paint and sealer. What's an interesting trend (well, interesting to me at least) is that most racers run fiberglass and most street riders run the carbon fiber. You'd think the racers would run the carbon, as it's lighter, but because so much of the carbon appeal is the looks of it, it's street riders who buy the vast bulk of it. I can't say I'm any different either tho. I'm running full carbon on the test mule here and LOVE it!

EdwardP333 is also running full carbon, but on his track bike. He just got lucky enough to get his works marketing department to pick up a lot of the carbon costs. There's a few other folks running all carbon. The Rottweiler bike, two in California, three in O'Canada, and... hmmmm, not sure who else has ALL the carbon bits. Fuzzy memory on my part. A heck of a lot of folks are running most of the carbon, but for the full kit nose to toes that's a smaller group of folks.

isaac_

The white is an initial primer coat, and would likely still need block sanding and another primer coat before paint. Generally the fiberglass parts are intended for racers who paint their own glass (ala rattlecan most of the time LOL), as well as typically repair it after a getoff on the track. When the fiberglass is used on the street it's typically going to get a few coats of primer and additional block sanding before paint and sealer. What's an interesting trend (well, interesting to me at least) is that most racers run fiberglass and most street riders run the carbon fiber. You'd think the racers would run the carbon, as it's lighter, but because so much of the carbon appeal is the looks of it, it's street riders who buy the vast bulk of it. I can't say I'm any different either tho. I'm running full carbon on the test mule here and LOVE it!

EdwardP333 is also running full carbon, but on his track bike. He just got lucky enough to get his works marketing department to pick up a lot of the carbon costs. There's a few other folks running all carbon. The Rottweiler bike, two in California, three in O'Canada, and... hmmmm, not sure who else has ALL the carbon bits. Fuzzy memory on my part. A heck of a lot of folks are running most of the carbon, but for the full kit nose to toes that's a smaller group of folks.

My impression is carbon doesn’t crash well.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
About as well as fiberglass. Tyga makes their carbon for lightness and cosmetics, not strength. Carbon fiber can be CRAZY strong of course, but requires many layers and a thick overall laminate. That's more weight. Epoxy isn't weightless after all. It repairs very well, just like fiberglass, but then you've lost the appearance... One of my buddies ex girlfriends is an Olympic Kayaker. She taught me a lot about doing carbon fiber repairs... Which is surprisingly similar to fiberglass. Some of her paddles were more repair than original... And even tho it still seemed feather light to me, the NEW ones were shockingly light by comparison... So there's that too, with regard to repairs of carbon parts. The racers who are buying carbon are typically just sanding and painting it after a crash, or the whole part is replaced with new. Every racer has different priorities, and budgets. :)

neldorado

Country flag

View attachment 4859View attachment 4860View attachment 4861

Matt
Can you comment on once the fairing stay is split how to get the tyga eyes front end into it? I wasn’t sure if the piece went in the middle of the fairing stay as it seems difficult to install that portion of the component with the two bolt holes into the fairing stay,

thanks

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Matt
Can you comment on once the fairing stay is split how to get the tyga eyes front end into it? I wasn’t sure if the piece went in the middle of the fairing stay as it seems difficult to install that portion of the component with the two bolt holes into the fairing stay,

thanks
The Tyga street upper uses it's own fairing stay and does not retain the OEM fairing stay.