TYGA Weld Failures

Bikingbagga

Country flag
I recently raced (AHRMA) my RC390 Cup Bike at Barber Motorsports Park. One of my competitors wife had to pull of track when the welds failed near the head of the pipe. A welder at the track TIG welded it back together. Her husband had te same failure at another track. TYGA replaced that exhaust no questions asked. I sent a email to Mstt (TYGA USA disstributor to see if TYGA was working on a fix (no response as of yet)
I'm looking to buy the exhaust system, but I have concers as to the durabilty / relabilty. It would seem to me that a fix would be to gusset the affected area to provide more strength.
Anybody else seen this failure?
Amybody had areponse from TYGA on this issue?

GTiTDi

Country flag
I recently raced (AHRMA) my RC390 Cup Bike at Barber Motorsports Park. One of my competitors wife had to pull of track when the welds failed near the head of the pipe. A welder at the track TIG welded it back together. Her husband had te same failure at another track. TYGA replaced that exhaust no questions asked. I sent a email to Mstt (TYGA USA disstributor to see if TYGA was working on a fix (no response as of yet)
I'm looking to buy the exhaust system, but I have concers as to the durabilty / relabilty. It would seem to me that a fix would be to gusset the affected area to provide more strength.
Anybody else seen this failure?
Amybody had areponse from TYGA on this issue?
Which Tyga exhaust? Hopefully not the WSS300 under slung version. I just ordered one for my '17 :confused:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Most failures have occurred with the J tube header for the undertail exhaust systems. The under slung type has had a failure or two. The biggest causes of the failures have been from the exhaust being under tension while being bolted up. The tear of the metal has typically been next to the weld, but not the weld itself. It's a race exhaust, and the metal is thin, so installation with the system being loosely fit before being snugged up is important! There's a LOT of heat being pumped into the exhaust, and the resulting expansion and contraction of the metal when pushed into a system already under stress can very easily result in a stress riser, resulting in a crack, and then a break. The options are to either make the entire exhaust system heavier, with thicker wall material, and nobody wants that. So basically... be careful with how you install the system, and it should be fine. The idea of adding gussets to all of the welds isn't a practical solution. You'd end up with a system even heavier than if thicker wall pipe were used.

GTiTDi

Country flag
I ordered the WSS300 exhaust for my '17 last fall. Now it's April and season is kicking off soon so I figured I would get my A$$ in gear and start installing some goodies including that exhaust...

Nearly every one of these fusion welds have hairline cracks from cooling too quickly. They can be seen without magnification. I'm pretty astounded. I don't even want to install it as it is, knowing it will just eventually fail. I don't even think I can return it at this point. Will update post with pics shortly.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I ordered the WSS300 exhaust for my '17 last fall. Now it's April and season is kicking off soon so I figured I would get my A$$ in gear and start installing some goodies including that exhaust...

Nearly every one of these fusion welds have hairline cracks from cooling too quickly. They can be seen without magnification. I'm pretty astounded. I don't even want to install it as it is, knowing it will just eventually fail. I don't even think I can return it at this point. Will update post with pics shortly.
GTiTDi, I've sent you a PM for more info.