Upgrading intake and installing PCV

rcrider

Country flag
This is my first post!

For the next track season I am considering upgrading my RC 390 by installing a free flow exhaust and a high flow air intake, completing the upgrade by installing a PCV and getting a custom map om the dyno.

This is my current plan:
Exhaust:
-Install a cat delete pipe in combination with my current Akrapovic slip on.
Intake:
-K&N high flow airfilter
-possibly removing the airbox lid or alternating the airbox entirely. (Looking for advice on this)

Fuel:
-not sure if I'll be needing a larger injector for optimal performance

PCV:

Without a PCV the bike will run very lean I assume because of the decrease in back pressure in the exhaust and the more free flowing intake.

The company where I want to get the PCV offers to make a custom map for a €100 euros including installation

To get the most out of the map I want to get all the parts I need and completing the build before getting the PCV .

I'll install all the parts and then drive the very lean bike to the garage or get a van.

Looking for any advice on other things I should be considering, the alterations I can make to the airbox and if a new fuel injector will be necessary.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Karfanatik

Country flag
This is basically what I did. Gathered all the parts, installed everything myself, uploaded a decat map to start and puttered my way over to a shop to get dyno tuned properly. Took a few hours to do the install since it was my first time but it went smooth and easy with the instructions provided. It was a fun to do and learn about. Fun as hell to ride now. Quickshifting is an addicting feeling.

For reference,my bike has
- Gray area intake, open lid, K&N filter
- Big injector
- Leovince decat and akra slipon w/baffle
- PCV + QS and 8 cell antigrav battery
- Custom dyno

KTMLaos

Country flag
Interesting project rcrider,

What year is the bike from?
You may have a look at the Crimea ram-air intake (replacing the OE air box) and combine this with a BMC or DNA cone air filter (better quality than K&N).
According to Gray Area US you will need a larger injector capacity when running an open exhaust plus opening up the air intake at top revs.
To compensate for the increase in the air you may look at the fuel management options from PowerTRONIC the Fuel-X Lite/Pro or if you are really serious take a look at the Dimsport options as in the EVO or Race units from the Rapid Bike range.
An additional advantage of the Rapid Bike units is the increased rev-limiter (make sure you request this upon ordering as this is not standard to all markets).

Good luck and keep us posted ;)

Ares

Country flag
This is my first post!

For the next track season I am considering upgrading my RC 390 by installing a free flow exhaust and a high flow air intake, completing the upgrade by installing a PCV and getting a custom map om the dyno.

This is my current plan:
Exhaust:
-Install a cat delete pipe in combination with my current Akrapovic slip on.
Intake:
-K&N high flow airfilter
-possibly removing the airbox lid or alternating the airbox entirely. (Looking for advice on this)

Fuel:
-not sure if I'll be needing a larger injector for optimal performance

PCV:

Without a PCV the bike will run very lean I assume because of the decrease in back pressure in the exhaust and the more free flowing intake.

The company where I want to get the PCV offers to make a custom map for a €100 euros including installation

To get the most out of the map I want to get all the parts I need and completing the build before getting the PCV .

I'll install all the parts and then drive the very lean bike to the garage or get a van.

Looking for any advice on other things I should be considering, the alterations I can make to the airbox and if a new fuel injector will be necessary.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Do yourself a favor and contact Chad from Commonwealth Motorcycle. He is CJwells here on the forum. He will set you up with the best map for your PCV. I went from the factory Cup/AKRA map to his map and it was a night and day difference and mitigated most of the flat spots in the entire rev range.

rcrider

Country flag
Started installing all my parts today!

Ended up going with the following setup:

DNA high performance airfilter
Gray area custom airbox
Gray area bigger injector

Rapid bike evo

Cat+ pre muffler delete

I was wondering about the following:

On the stock airbox this hole is plugged should I plug it on the Gray area airbox?

Also the clip connector between injector and fuel hose of the stock injector does not fit onto the Gray area one is it enough to screw them down without the clip?

Attachments

• 20221213_145254.jpg
    20221213_145254.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221213_145747.jpg
    20221213_145747.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 25

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Started installing all my parts today!

Ended up going with the following setup:

DNA high performance airfilter
Gray area custom airbox
Gray area bigger injector

Rapid bike evo

Cat+ pre muffler delete

I was wondering about the following:

On the stock airbox this hole is plugged should I plug it on the Gray area airbox?

Also the clip connector between injector and fuel hose of the stock injector does not fit onto the Gray area one is it enough to screw them down without the clip?
The hole is the drain, I recommend putting a hose on it or blocking it off. No clip on the injector.
Paxton

rcrider

Country flag
Got it tuned!

Installed everything over the holiday and got it tuned last week it runs and feels amazing final figure was 47.6 HP at the rear wheel