Water pump and/or linkage failure

streetfighter

28e118f81059bd0da3cf254375d05bd0.jpg

This is the third 2016 bike I have come across with the water pump related problem, all within the first 300km. Mine has only 200km on it. Really poor build quality I must say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Maddog Reynolds

Pump seals, I guess?
Is it a big job to change them both? My 2015 bike has started losing coolant. It's getting worse slowly and I'm pretty sure it's not the head gasket.
I've just changed the oil, warmed it up until the fan started with the pressure cap *off*, then drained coolant and parked it until I can investigate. I'm not risking bearing/camshaft damage!

By the way, I found soft and tacky black bits on one of the oil screens. I thought it might be gasket goo (something like blue Hylomar) but I now wonder whether it's the wrong sort of synthetic rubber used in the seals, which has reacted with engine oil?

streetfighter

Pump seals, I guess?
Is it a big job to change them both? My 2015 bike has started losing coolant. It's getting worse slowly and I'm pretty sure it's not the head gasket.
I've just changed the oil, warmed it up until the fan started with the pressure cap *off*, then drained coolant and parked it until I can investigate. I'm not risking bearing/camshaft damage!

By the way, I found soft and tacky black bits on one of the oil screens. I thought it might be gasket goo (something like blue Hylomar) but I now wonder whether it's the wrong sort of synthetic rubber used in the seals, which has reacted with engine oil?

It could be the pump seal. The mechanics are getting al the possible parts ready now and will begin to work on it as soon as they receive them. They are trying to have the bike ready for the track tomorrow.

I don't see any black bits on the oil filter or screen

Michelle

Whats linkage failure ?, hope its an easy fix anyway... I am just curious , how many miles has yours done Maddog ?.....

Maddog Reynolds

I'm told there is a second seal the other side of the pump.

Also, how do you know the problem persists? Is it actually losing coolant, or justold water hanging around thr valvr gear, crankcases, etc?

streetfighter

I'm told there is a second seal the other side of the pump.

Also, how do you know the problem persists? Is it actually losing coolant, or justold water hanging around thr valvr gear, crankcases, etc?

26862474338a6202afb10358ba2ec626.jpg

We replaced the seal, then refilled oil and water (instead of coolant), started the engine for let it run for 2 minutes. Checked the window and the oil just didn't look right. Drained everything and tried once again with another new seal. Same result. So we gave up. The mechanics will send the bike back to the shop and take the pump apart to check

333b478246da7012140448e4d00fd1e4.jpg

Fasteddy

Country flag
By the way, what's involved to change the other (inner) water pump seal? Do we have to take the engine out and split the crankcase?

Correction, I was thinking of the other KTM, LC8 water pump rebuild.

The inner seal is in the engine case. so yes it is pull the engine and split cases.

Screenshot from 2017-07-15 14:57:48.jpg

Last edited:

Michelle

Well its good its under warranty ,, I have only ever done top end work ,, valves ,, piston rings that sort of thing.... It would scare me to split the engine casings ,, wish I could though.

streetfighter

Well its good its under warranty ,, I have only ever done top end work ,, valves ,, piston rings that sort of thing.... It would scare me to split the engine casings ,, wish I could though.

Then you are not going to like this scene...

Although it was a water pump failure, it had caused other damages to the engine parts. the mechanics decided to take the engine apart, clean it thoroughly and replace the damaged parts

8dfa432ae75cc9eb7632929edf14793f.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 452

Wish my dealer would have done that when my head gasket failed at 4.7K miles and then the water pump died at 5.1K miles. I found so much internal damage when I went to adjust the valves myself at 13K miles that I had to replace the motor (after my warranty expired). Coolant makes a very poor lubricant : (

streetfighter

Wish my dealer would have done that when my head gasket failed at 4.7K miles and then the water pump died at 5.1K miles. I found so much internal damage when I went to adjust the valves myself at 13K miles that I had to replace the motor (after my warranty expired). Coolant makes a very poor lubricant : (

I bring desserts every time I visit their shop, I guess that helps :)

That said, seems KTM really have a build quality issue and it's going to cost them.

D

Deleted member 452

I bring desserts every time I visit their shop, I guess that helps :)

That said, seems KTM really have a build quality issue and it's going to cost them.

I should start bringing bags of burning shit every time that I visit my dealer now.