what happened to headlight mods?

Tom

It seems like on the 2015 and 2016 bikes, there were LED kits and lots of interest in getting our bikes to have both headlights on. Is there a reason why people aren't doing this anymore? Does running the high beam with the low kill the battery over time?

I'm sick of having to hold the "pass" lever on dark roads, to see potential hazards. I saw the thread about jumping the high and low beam wires in the toggle switch, but it quickly devolved into an argument about the alternator not being able to keep up with the power draw. The OP never provided any long term posts before the thread died, so I'm not sure who was right.

Tom

Either no one wants to tell us, or the original headlight modders are still stranded on the side of a desolate highway with a dead battery....

Tom

EDIT- IT WORKS!!!

I just tried this guy's mod:
https://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/electronics/1921-lights-beam.html

Just remember, on the little 3 dimple triangular shaped piece of contact metal on the switch; there's a little spring that pushes the piece into the flat contact points of the part you are soldering on. DO NOT LOSE THIS SPRING. If you put the 3 dimpled contact triangle back into the switch and connect it back into the plastic piece with the wires, it needs the spring to actuate the low beam and high beams. Without it, the switch will not work, and your low beam will stay off.

This only matters if you actually take the switch apart to solder the jumper wire. I was worried about heat ruining the rest of the plastic, so I took it apart. Just pay attention to what is inside the switch if you take it apart from the three wire soldered piece.

Now, on to find a set of LED headlights!

Last edited:

DysfunktionAl

I’m still interested... I’d like to get rid of that dangerous black hole that’s directly in front of my bike when using high beam! But apparently Hard Racing has even discontinued the upgrade. Is it due to lack of sales or alternator/battery issues?

John390

I know its not the same, but I run Hella H9 bulbs. Very simple, easy mod to the BULB (not the bike)

The bike comes with H9 bulbs in other parts of the world, so the wiring and relays are good. I also examined those parts myself and they are capable of handling the current load.

H9 bulbs are 65W, and much brighter. They are used as driving lights and high beams mostly.

They don't last as long as H11 bulbs, but still last long enough to totally be worth it.

I find the Hellas to be very clear and bright, but not "blue" like some "upgrade" bulbs.

I tried Phillips Extreme vision H11 and they were definitely a small but noticable upgrade over the stock bulbs, but no where near as good as the Hella H9.

I have no problem seeing in the dark with these bulbs, just with low beam.

Tom

Hard Racing still sells the LED bulbs, just not the wiring kit. Honestly, all you need is the bulbs though. Soldering the jumper in the switch provides roughly the same basic outcome their wiring kit did, except you dont need the underplate. You can still flip back to lowbeam if you only want 1 of the lights turned on.

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Hard Racing still sells the LED bulbs, just not the wiring kit. Honestly, all you need is the bulbs though. Soldering the jumper in the switch provides roughly the same basic outcome their wiring kit did, except you dont need the underplate. You can still flip back to lowbeam if you only want 1 of the lights turned on.

Correct.
We still sell the LED Bulbs, for all bikes.
But, we stopped selling the RC390 Hi/Lo kit w/ Harness, because after 4 yrs. of selling it, sales finally slowed down to the point it wasn't worth it making the harnesses any more.
We were selling the Harness for a near wash, it was just an experiment on our bike that took off for a few years. But, honestly, it's not that hard for someone that knows basic electricity to make their own harness.

>> LED LIGHTS <<

madman_rs

Correct.
We still sell the LED Bulbs, for all bikes.
But, we stopped selling the RC390 Hi/Lo kit w/ Harness, because after 4 yrs. of selling it, sales finally slowed down to the point it wasn't worth it making the harnesses any more.
We were selling the Harness for a near wash, it was just an experiment on our bike that took off for a few years. But, honestly, it's not that hard for someone that knows basic electricity to make their own harness.

>> LED LIGHTS <<

Would like to know if on the harness wires, do you just put together the positive wires into the lower beam power, leaving the negative for each one?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G9650 using Tapatalk

In Europe, at least, it seems that dual headlignts ON at the same time (except during transition from Low to High beam) is FORBIDDEN.
The reason is that this could be misinterpreted by drivers as a car far away, instead of a motorcycle close.
Even on cars there is a minimum distance between the lights for the same reason.