What should my first non cosmetic upgrade be?

I mainly street ride, though I want to take it to the track occasionally at some point.

My bike is a 2017 rc390 and it's completely stock except for fender eliminator, and orange levers. (Getting new rubber soon too but idk if that counts).

So far things that have interested me are
Piggyback ecu
High airflow intake
New exhaust (full system or slipon, either works)
Upgraded shocks
Led or hid headlights
Frame sliders or a crash cage

Anything else you guys think I could do definitely mention it. I'm just not sure what I wanna do first

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SnotRkt

Nothing is more important to upgrade on these bikes than suspension. Its also the most costly upgrade but you can go budget with the R6 rear shock. I'm in the middle of doing Andreani fork cartridges and I've installed a K-Tech rear shock.

Nothing is more important to upgrade on these bikes than suspension. Its also the most costly upgrade but you can go budget with the R6 rear shock. I'm in the middle of doing Andreani fork cartridges and I've installed a K-Tech rear shock.

What should I expect out of a shock upgrade like those? This is my first motorcycle and I'm still learning

SnotRkt

What should I expect out of a shock upgrade like those? This is my first motorcycle and I'm still learning

A properly handling bike. The stock suspension is a joke and I consider it dangerous for any kind of aggressive riding. Progressive spring rates do not work on a bike in my opinion and that is what the stock stuff has.

A properly handling bike. The stock suspension is a joke and I consider it dangerous for any kind of aggressive riding. Progressive spring rates do not work on a bike in my opinion and that is what the stock stuff has.
Would you suggest Ohlins or K-Tech shocks?

Bosco

Country flag

Thought the R6 shock upgrade didn't work on the 2017+ models...no?

SnotRkt

Would you suggest Ohlins or K-Tech shocks?

I would prefer the K-Tech over the "budget" Ohlins that is available for the RC. And then Andreani or K-Tech fork cartridges.

As far as the R6 shock goes I'm not sure about it on newer bikes but I think it fits as long as you have an aftermarket exhaust, again, I'd go for a real shock upgrade over the R6 "band-aid".

I would prefer the K-Tech over the "budget" Ohlins that is available for the RC. And then Andreani or K-Tech fork cartridges.

As far as the R6 shock goes I'm not sure about it on newer bikes but I think it fits as long as you have an aftermarket exhaust, again, I'd go for a real shock upgrade over the R6 "band-aid".
Is it okay to do fork cartridges and rear shocks on separate occasions? Or is it a must to upgrade both at the same time?

Falkon45

Country flag
If you must, do the shock first. Definitely the biggest improvement suspension wise. Since you're pretty new at riding, you won't exceed the limits of the fork yet. For the 17+, you need an exhaust for the R6 shock. The R1 shock supposedly doesn't need the exhaust, but I have to look again.

If you must, do the shock first. Definitely the biggest improvement suspension wise. Since you're pretty new at riding, you won't exceed the limits of the fork yet. For the 17+, you need an exhaust for the R6 shock. The R1 shock supposedly doesn't need the exhaust, but I have to look again.
How long would you guess until I'd be able to exceed the limits of the forks? I like to be pretty enthusiastic about my canyon rides and I ride pretty hard most of the time.

SnotRkt

Only you will know when you've exceeded the forks. Do the shock and the forks if you can afford it. You can get both done for about $1600

Falkon45

Country flag
Yeah. Definitely depending on your skill level and rate of learning. I had to upgrade my shock simply because I'm too heavy for the bike. But, it's made the bike far more confidence inspiring. Cheap upgrades for the fork if you can't do everything at once, will be a spring set for your weight, and heavier fork oil. But, talk to someone who tunes suspensions about it first.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I mainly street ride, though I want to take it to the track occasionally at some point.

My bike is a 2017 rc390 and it's completely stock except for fender eliminator, and orange levers. (Getting new rubber soon too but idk if that counts).

So far things that have interested me are
Piggyback ecu
High airflow intake
New exhaust (full system or slipon, either works)
Upgraded shocks
Led or hid headlights
Frame sliders or a crash cage

Anything else you guys think I could do definitely mention it. I'm just not sure what I wanna do first

Suspension (JRi)
Brakes (EBC HH or the like)
HP (exhaust, airbox/intake mod, PCv)

In that order.

Don't go the route of frame sliders. There isn't any out there that mount only to the engine mounts and all have a bracket on or ride directly over the frame. Frame sliders need to be ONLY fastened to an engine mount so survive a hard hit. You take a big wack with a slider that contacts the frame, that frame is GOING to give. Then, you're left with looking for a new frame.

$0.02.

Don't go the route of frame sliders. There isn't any out there that mount only to the engine mounts and all have a bracket on or ride directly over the frame. Frame sliders need to be ONLY fastened to an engine mount so survive a hard hit. You take a big wack with a slider that contacts the frame, that frame is GOING to give. Then, you're left with looking for a new frame.

Ideally I'd love to go with a crash cage instead of sliders but I'd need to find someone to fabricate one for me because I can't for the life of me find any pre-made ones

Yeah. Definitely depending on your skill level and rate of learning. I had to upgrade my shock simply because I'm too heavy for the bike. But, it's made the bike far more confidence inspiring. Cheap upgrades for the fork if you can't do everything at once, will be a spring set for your weight, and heavier fork oil. But, talk to someone who tunes suspensions about it first.
Okay, that's probably good since I don't have much extra cash right now

SnotRkt

Ideally I'd love to go with a crash cage instead of sliders but I'd need to find someone to fabricate one for me because I can't for the life of me find any pre-made ones

If you ever plan on doing track days then skip the crash cage, most tracks will not allow them.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The only one I've ever seen was a company using the 390 for a "wheelie school" and had a full cage plus out riggers. It's going to be a custom fabrication as there just isn't anybody else it out there using the RC390 for stunts. That's fully in the Gixxer horde. I say that as a dyed in the blue blood of Suzuki and have had a Gixxer in my stable for the last 28 years... but it is what it is. Ain't no track going to let you do laps with a cage, and I can't think of any way to do it without SEVERELY inhibiting cornering clearances. We've got problems enough with dragging hard parts without starting to hang large tubes of Chromolly out the side. :)

Ain't no track going to let you do laps with a cage, and I can't think of any way to do it without SEVERELY inhibiting cornering clearances.

I see. I might just go with sliders then lol. And maybe I'll save the cage solution for when I get a gixxer or something like that and wanna be a hooligan. Thanks! :)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I see. I might just go with sliders then lol. And maybe I'll save the cage solution for when I get a gixxer or something like that and wanna be a hooligan. Thanks! :)

Axle sliders + the side panels do a pretty damn good job protecting the bike. The left side case cover is usually the only worry. These bikes crash REMARKABLY well, even at terminal velocity. I've seen one too many bikes total their frames with frame sliders to ever consider any of them, but each person needs to make their own decisions there. Just note... you mostly likely won't see ANY on most racebikes... when you see a fellow racer go down, and be out the rest of the weekend (or season) because their frame slider took out their frame, it sorta puts some serious hesitation into ya'! ;) Stunt bikes typically only travel is (mostly) straight lines and when they are turning tightly they are typically either smoking the rear tire to do it or they are up on the rear wheel. All I can say there is if that's what you wanna do, practice practice practice on a DIRTBIKE first! Something small like a big wheeled 85 or a 125, where the bike is basically fundamentally designed to be thrown down hard. The RC isn't really well suited for stunting as it doesn't have the raw power to hoist the front end or effortlessly smoke the rear. Well, you CAN put a MASSIVE rear sprocket on it, I guess, but really it's just better to go with a Gixxer 600 off of craigslist with trashed bodywork. Then put the cage on it, pound the tank flat, and have at it! Get your squid on! LOL

For cheap(er) suspension upgrades, you can do the R6 Shock Swap and put springs and oil in the front. The R6 DIY Kit is $210 and the springs for the front end run $129. With being a 2017, you'd need to either swap out the exhaust or get something made up (maybe at a muffler shop) to bypass the resonant chamber and catalytic converter. With you being in the Wilds of California, maybe no shop would touch that with a 10 foot pole, but might be something you could put together with basic bends, and then just have a muffler or weld shop weld it all up for you. Tell 'em it's a racebike you are converting over from the street perhaps, find a buddy who can weld, or go with the Tyga header and Tyga Undertail exhaust or any other of the 15-16 exhaust slip-on systems. You might find a used 15-16 exhaust which would allow you to run the R6 shock as well if you don't have the funds currently.