What should my first non cosmetic upgrade be?

othebe

Country flag
If I were to buy another RC390, the first thing I’d replace is the rearsets. The stock ones were a liability for me with how much they dragged. I changed them for a set of Tygas, and clearance is no longer an issue for me. Plus, my preferred positioning is quite different than stock so it gives me the adjustability I want too.

Sacape2

Get the PowerParts seat first over any other upgrade. It'll make a world of a difference that you'll notice from the time you saddle up until you dismount. Then do the brakes/fluid, and coolant switch to Engine Ice. I put the seat as a priority upgrade simply because it's the one main--if not the only--upgrade that you'll notice all the time.

Rc390girl

Country flag
Suspension (JRi)
Brakes (EBC HH or the like)
HP (exhaust, airbox/intake mod, PCv)

In that order.

Don't go the route of frame sliders. There isn't any out there that mount only to the engine mounts and all have a bracket on or ride directly over the frame. Frame sliders need to be ONLY fastened to an engine mount so survive a hard hit. You take a big wack with a slider that contacts the frame, that frame is GOING to give. Then, you're left with looking for a new frame.

$0.02.
Bringing this one up - this would mean that the cheapest AliExpress options (which all mount to the engine) is better than the 140$ option from GSG which mounts to frame including puffers?

Hard to believe somehow - it feels like the engine mounts might be harmed once flipping the bike over Doesnt it?

thanks for your advice all - I am looking for protection for my new 2018 one - for parking lot flips :-/

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Bringing this one up - this would mean that the cheapest AliExpress options (which all mount to the engine) is better than the 140$ option from GSG which mounts to frame including puffers?

Hard to believe somehow - it feels like the engine mounts might be harmed once flipping the bike over Doesnt it?

thanks for your advice all - I am looking for protection for my new 2018 one - for parking lot flips :-/

I'm unaware of any frame sliders for the RC390 which exist which mount ONLY to the engine mount. All of them end up poking out from the bodywork to the rear, and leave a large cantilever which is invariably going to damage the frame, engine, or both.

With bikes like, say my Gixxer 1000, I have frame sliders mounted but to do so, I had to drill a hole in my bodywork. There is then a delrin cylinder that mounts directly to the top forward engine mount. Engine mounts are "safe" because it's basically the strongest point on the motorcycle. It's a rigid mount point which can transfer energy into the frame and motor together in the strongest point available. With the RC390, none do this. They will POSSIBLY mount to an engine mount point, but then there's a section of metal (steel or aluminum) which then mounts either to the engine case cover, frame tube, or both. The puck or slider then mounts to that. The problem is, that metal isn't strong. Not nearly as strong as the motor mount location by itself. So you get a lever effectively which now can transmit amplified force (that's what levers do!) into somewhere on the bike which CAN'T handle that impact force. I get a call at least 2 times a month asking me if I have any frames available. My question is always the same. "What frame sliders did you have?" and every time, they have them. Every time, that's what damaged their frame. Every! Time!

The side panels do a remarkable job of holding up really well in the event of a parking lot tipover... or for that matter even a race crash.

The motor mount location on the RC390 is too low anyway. If you had a puck mounted there, it would invariably end up flipping the bike over or change the contact points to be the screen / instrument panel, the puck, and the rear seat. That would be WAY worse for you than the tires and side panel. For most bikes, frame sliders are an excellent idea. The RC390 just isn't one of them. For the RC390, go with Axle sliders and case covers. That's a WAY better option!
http://formula390.com/parts.pl?D=protection

Rc390girl

Country flag
I'm unaware of any frame sliders for the RC390 which exist which mount ONLY to the engine mount. All of them end up poking out from the bodywork to the rear, and leave a large cantilever which is invariably going to damage the frame, engine, or both.

With bikes like, say my Gixxer 1000, I have frame sliders mounted but to do so, I had to drill a hole in my bodywork. There is then a delrin cylinder that mounts directly to the top forward engine mount. Engine mounts are "safe" because it's basically the strongest point on the motorcycle. It's a rigid mount point which can transfer energy into the frame and motor together in the strongest point available. With the RC390, none do this. They will POSSIBLY mount to an engine mount point, but then there's a section of metal (steel or aluminum) which then mounts either to the engine case cover, frame tube, or both. The puck or slider then mounts to that. The problem is, that metal isn't strong. Not nearly as strong as the motor mount location by itself. So you get a lever effectively which now can transmit amplified force (that's what levers do!) into somewhere on the bike which CAN'T handle that impact force. I get a call at least 2 times a month asking me if I have any frames available. My question is always the same. "What frame sliders did you have?" and every time, they have them. Every time, that's what damaged their frame. Every! Time!

The side panels do a remarkable job of holding up really well in the event of a parking lot tipover... or for that matter even a race crash.

The motor mount location on the RC390 is too low anyway. If you had a puck mounted there, it would invariably end up flipping the bike over or change the contact points to be the screen / instrument panel, the puck, and the rear seat. That would be WAY worse for you than the tires and side panel. For most bikes, frame sliders are an excellent idea. The RC390 just isn't one of them. For the RC390, go with Axle sliders and case covers. That's a WAY better option!
http://formula390.com/parts.pl?D=protection
Thanks a lot - this is a great information - I was actually considering the GSG one because it has some sort of buffer zones and spacers that can absorb some pressure and is advertised for typically bit harming the frame - see below, but still now I’m really thinking of rather investing into the case covers instead. Only thing is that our side panels will be modded with individualized decals so harming them will definitely hurt but better that than the frame..

Attachments

• 76459DB0-6673-408C-BA35-CFCE57194EA0.jpeg
    76459DB0-6673-408C-BA35-CFCE57194EA0.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 51A3E431-5BA9-444E-B9FB-057BD74A7F06.jpeg
    51A3E431-5BA9-444E-B9FB-057BD74A7F06.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 9BE9351E-83FA-4D22-80C5-CAC8C07EFE9A.jpeg
    9BE9351E-83FA-4D22-80C5-CAC8C07EFE9A.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 6

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Thanks a lot - this is a great information - I was actually considering the GSG one because it has some sort of buffer zones and spacers that can absorb some pressure and is advertised for typically bit harming the frame - see below, but still now I’m really thinking of rather investing into the case covers instead. Only thing is that our side panels will be modded with individualized decals so harming them will definitely hurt but better that than the frame..
Yeah... I don't like those GSG sliders either. I've had 2 people call me with those exact ones where their frame was dented in from where the slider hovered over the frame. The RC390 just is a terrible candidate for any frame sliders because none of them mount JUST to the engine mount point.

Think of it like this. How much does the bike weigh? 165kg or so? Now, while traveling at say 10kph, tip that weight over and drop it directly on that slider. BANG! What is that force? Well, as we learned in physics... 1624100649557.png (Force = Mass * Acceleration) so... solve for force:
F = 165kg * 10 km/h == 458.34 Newtons. 458 newtons == 46.74kg This is actually an overly simplistic example, because the bike is a lever as well... so if you are traveling at the wheels at 10km/h when the bike flips over, it's going to be traveling much faster. This is why, for example, highsides can attempt to hurl riders into next week, even while traveling at non-relativistic speeds. The bike becomes a catapult. It's too early in the morning for me to try and calculate that all out, but it's going to be 2-3 times faster, at least. That energy HAS to go somewhere. Nature will ALWAYS balance the equation!

So... now look at those "puffers" (bumpers is how most of us would say that in english but you get a pass for English likely not being your first language) and image putting 46.74kg of weight on them. How much are they going to protect the frame from that impact? Well... we COULD calculate the Compression Modulus of Rubber, but even just a simple observation is going to tell us that is going to be a small fraction of the energy being transmitted.

Hopefully discussing it in these terms can help with your German decision making process... I say as someone with proud German heritage where "Shutup and Calculate" is often one of the best ways to settle a disagreement! LOL

Rc390girl

Country flag
Yeah... I don't like those GSG sliders either. I've had 2 people call me with those exact ones where their frame was dented in from where the slider hovered over the frame. The RC390 just is a terrible candidate for any frame sliders because none of them mount JUST to the engine mount point.

Think of it like this. How much does the bike weigh? 165kg or so? Now, while traveling at say 10kph, tip that weight over and drop it directly on that slider. BANG! What is that force? Well, as we learned in physics... View attachment 6779 (Force = Mass * Acceleration) so... solve for force:
F = 165kg * 10 km/h == 458.34 Newtons. 458 newtons == 46.74kg This is actually an overly simplistic example, because the bike is a lever as well... so if you are traveling at the wheels at 10km/h when the bike flips over, it's going to be traveling much faster. This is why, for example, highsides can attempt to hurl riders into next week, even while traveling at non-relativistic speeds. The bike becomes a catapult. It's too early in the morning for me to try and calculate that all out, but it's going to be 2-3 times faster, at least. That energy HAS to go somewhere. Nature will ALWAYS balance the equation!

So... now look at those "puffers" (bumpers is how most of us would say that in english but you get a pass for English likely not being your first language) and image putting 46.74kg of weight on them. How much are they going to protect the frame from that impact? Well... we COULD calculate the Compression Modulus of Rubber, but even just a simple observation is going to tell us that is going to be a small fraction of the energy being transmitted.

Hopefully discussing it in these terms can help with your German decision making process... I say as someone with proud German heritage where "Shutup and Calculate" is often one of the best ways to settle a disagreement! LOL
Indeed this helped with my decision making process - thank you!! - in fact I’m gonna pass on the Frame sliders for the RC now and am rather getting those protection covers for the engine plus axle sliders (ordered from Ali already) plus some guards for the clutch and brake levers (ordered some massive ones as well).

Also someone recommended me that guard for the exhaust which looks similar to a frame slider but mounts to the foot peg bracket at the rear.. wouldn’t harm I guess.
Indeed it’s not my first language plus I noticed that my new phone didn’t do the best job in autocorrectIng my input haha..