where to get key blank cut

RCinBC

Country flag
Hey guys,

I recently picked up my RC used (back in October) and it only came with one key and no key-card. When I spoke to the dealer that originally sold the bike they told me all they could do was order me a blank spare (as opposed to one already cut for my bike). The blnak was cheap, $15 including taxes but I've since been trying to get the damn thing cut and every locksmith and key cutting place I've tried (about a dozen) can't cut it, or won't guarantee they can copy it without damaging my original so I could be SOL if they mess it up.

I can't believe it's this hard to get the damn thing cut.

Have any of you had this done and if so please let me know who it was so I can contact them and find out what kind of machine they used to see if there's one local to me.

Thx

Alex

psych0hans

Country flag
Hey guys,

I recently picked up my RC used (back in October) and it only came with one key and no key-card. When I spoke to the dealer that originally sold the bike they told me all they could do was order me a blank spare (as opposed to one already cut for my bike). The blnak was cheap, $15 including taxes but I've since been trying to get the damn thing cut and every locksmith and key cutting place I've tried (about a dozen) can't cut it, or won't guarantee they can copy it without damaging my original so I could be SOL if they mess it up.

I can't believe it's this hard to get the damn thing cut.

Have any of you had this done and if so please let me know who it was so I can contact them and find out what kind of machine they used to see if there's one local to me.

Thx

Alex

I had the same issue and had a new key cut. Now it only works one way... the guy clearly didn't do a good job...

stevieboy

Country flag
Double sided keys are a bitch to cut correctly. Take it to a real locksmith. $15.00 for a key blank is not cheap!

CDN Duke

Country flag
Doh. Did they suggest anyone who could? They're best locksmith I can recall in Vancouver - maybe need someone that does more automotive now...

Sweyn Forkbeard

With A VIN and proof of ownership the dealer should be able to get a cut key from KTM. At least that's what I have had to do with car keys before.

RCinBC

Country flag
With A VIN and proof of ownership the dealer should be able to get a cut key from KTM. At least that's what I have had to do with car keys before.

Unfortunately they cannot. they need the keycard to be able to order a pre-cut key. I didn't get that with my bike. The full lockset x3 with 2 keys/keycard is only $85. Might have to go that route once they're not back-ordered.

This is so ridiculous

stevieboy

Country flag
There should be somewhere (ebay?) where you can get cheaper blanks. Then you can find somebody to try and cut them without risking big bucks. I needed to do the same with an Aprilia. Bought some four dollar blanks and had them cut by a conscientious young man at the local Lumber Yard. They worked fine.

londor

Bought a 250 Ninja in 2012. Didnt have any choice really. Waited for the RC for Year(s)
I had the 1st RC in Reno/Sparks NV. We have a terrific KTM dealer here.
EVEN IF I HAD A BLANK AND ORIGINAL KEY, NO ONE CAN COPY IT.

Read that keycard! Says: "Take this keycard code blah blah to YOUR DEALER!!!
Went to the dealer with "keycard", gave my ID, VIN, Passport, Birth certificate, Certificate of naturalization, SSN#, Pink slip, Cash etc
Weeks later, Dealer says UHH I cant/couldn't get the key for your bike.
BUT!! I have a couple blanks! eycard (LoL) is worthless. A total CON JOB. FUBAR.
Dealer said well since its IMPOSSIBLE to get a key made, copied etc.So then R&R the lockset(s)

Anyone here R&R the lockset ?

Question: How does one STRIP, DESTROY, SHEAR, the keylock thingy?
I want to turn on the ignition with... anything, a screwdriver, a blank key,a pocket knife etc..
The lockset is worthless in securing the bike anyway, Why bother with it.
Bike thieves can start it in mere seconds. Too bad I dont know any.

Been 5-6 months now. Went to get my $100.00 deposit back. The dealer wants to resolve this issue with "K(rap)TM HQs.
Ill be going down again this month on my NINJA to try to get my $100 deposit back.
They cant get a key from K(rap)TM. Poster that said "May as well get a new bike" wasnt joking.
Good thing I didn't sell my Ninja.
I can use some garage space so Ill probably cut the RC into garbage can size pieces. Pig in a polk.
Fuck KTM. TOTAL FUCKING ASSHOLES.

londor

No solutions? What? Its a trivial detail and everyone is stumped!

KTM has nothing to do with locks or keys, Its a Krap lockset with 2 keys. Period.
The keycard keycode is a CON.

The keycard states a spare key is possible to make, purchase etc. Complete LIE.
Its a toy lock. Probably die cut. NOT laser cut.
Like getting a key made for your coleman icechest.

Noone has R&R the key assembly?
Its incredible, No solutions from the RC community.
I stumped everybody. YAY?
You can all laugh (until your 2nd and last key is damaged, lost or stolen)
Only thieves can start it now. (CUE LAUGHTER)

I will now attempt to shear the tumblers. BIG screwdriver hammered in
cheater bar on a breaker bar.
Perhaps the Milwuakee Hole Hawg to drill it out
You have to understand,its taking up room in my garage, making it difficult to get my Targa Carrera out.
I will advise EVERYONE that asks me (which is frequent) NOT to buy anything KTM. period.
(Cue more laughter)

Fasteddy

Country flag
Have you tried ordering the lock set from one of the KTM dealers online? AOMC.mx , www. KTMPerformance.com , Mt. Holley racing to name a few. Have you tried more than one other dealer?

With a 10 / 8mm? deep 1/4" socket and some long extenions you can aqctually remove the ignition switch / lock assembly then just put a jumper or toggle switch in its place.

If you have the key card I assume you had both keys that came with the bike, did they both get damaged or just lost?

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Talked to my go to guy. Puget Sound Locksmith can do it. So I would say keep calling around until you find someone that can man up.

Razor1

Country flag
My bike came new with two keys, one was wrong and did not work. Went to the dealer, they said they can't get cut keys from KTM, even with the key card. They did give me a blank for free, since it was a warranty issue, but then the fun began! After visiting several locksmiths, I found one that would cut my key, cost $35, works perfect. He said it was a "sidewinder" key, and they are hard to do. The locksmith was Don's Keyway in Fort Collins, CO.

Fasteddy

Country flag
That's interesting, come to think of it I am not sure if I ever even tried my spare key before. I think I will give it a test....