Why separate Andreani cartridges for installation?

_Big_Mac_

Country flag
I'm thinking about replacing stock cartridges in a 2019 Duke 390 with Andreani inserts.

Duke service manual describes for leg disassembly as fairly simple:
1. Unscrew the top cap
2. Drain the oil
3. Remove the bottom screw under the fork leg
4. Slide the entire cartridge out

The installation manual for the 105/kt7e describes more steps
1. Unscrew the top cap
2. Split the internals to remove the spring (this requires a special tool and, from what I've read, heating up some red loctite)
3. Remove the top part of the internals and the spring
4. Drain the oil
5. Remove the bottom screw under the fork leg
6. Slide the bottom part of the internals out

Both instructions describe installation as more or less the reverse of disassembly.

Why would I need to separate the fork internals and install them in steps? It looks like the Andreani inserts come as a pre-assembled cartridge unit, with the spring installed, and the post-2017 Dukes have cartridges that should come out as a unit as well..

Or are these Andreani instructions for older models (pre-2017), with damper rod stock internals? I've checked the manual for 105/kt2e (for the older Duke 390) and it has the same steps and pictures.

Last edited:

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
You either have the cartridge bolt in the bottom of your fork for the 105/kt7e kit or you don't then you get the 105/kt2 kit. I think with a 2019 you get the 105/kt7e and very simple install.

_Big_Mac_

Country flag
Thanks, I'll check if I have the bolt. Do I understand correctly that all those posts about having to break red loctite and fabricate tools to split the damping rod etc. are for kt2e, and with kt7e it should be as easy as described in the KTM repair manual?

Also, Andreani's installation PDF manual says:

"Make the oil level (...) respecting the air-chamber values given in the last page of this manual"

But there's no value given on the last page. Will there be a different manual delivered with the actual cartridges? How will I know what level I should be aiming at?

SWdragon

Country flag
I looked at your post on the Duke site, to me it sounds like maybe something is wrong. I've had forks upgraded on many bikes to include my 2015 RC390 w/Andreani Cartridges and never have had that issue with refitting them. I would contact Andreani and ask them.

_Big_Mac_

Country flag
I wrote them, didn't get a reply yet.

RCs have a different setup than Dukes, and to make it even more complicated, pre-2017 Dukes are different than post-2017 Dukes. Hard to draw conclusion. I might have messed up, or maybe Andreani messed up.

Last edited:

SWdragon

Country flag
I've talked to Andreani Reps. at a motorcycle show a few years ago, I would think they would get back with you. I think there in Italy so they are probably at the café drinking espresso. Maybe try going through whomever you got the kit from.

Just as geewiz info, my suspension shop I go to near Atlanta has told me to measure from the top of the bottom triple clamp to the center of the axle before removing forks and write down that measurement. Of course front end needs to off the ground (I take wheel off too) before measuring. Then when reinstalling upgraded forks set the first one to that measurement then other fork so the axle freely slides in both. I've always done it this way, no problems and I think the most I've had difference is maybe 5mm from where they were at the top triple stock.