Wp rc cup Rear shock spring rate

anyone have the dimensions of the original rear spring. such as inner diameter and free length. I take it that the original is a progressive rate spring (ie non-linear)?

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
anyone have the dimensions of the original rear spring. such as inner diameter and free length. I take it that the original is a progressive rate spring (ie non-linear)?

Linear. Use a hyperco 5'' free length, 2 1/4'' ID, goes right on. All I use on the WP shock. 600 lb spring for you probably.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
What spring rate i need for rc cup wp rear shock if i weigh with gear and helmet 67-68 kg.
For that weight, you'd be looking for something in the 600# range, as Chad already stated. For alternate spring ratings, your spring supplier should be able to assist you with the conversion for your bike, but in general the rate you'd be looking for in alternate measurements would be 10.7kg/mm or 105nm range for a race application. Of course, spring rates are part of tuning ones suspension. Sometimes you'll want to go higher on spring so you can adjust damping differently. You can be over or under sprung, and adjust for that with the compression and rebound settings.What seems confusing however, is that the spring that comes on the bike should be quite suitable for someone of your weight class. It's totally setup for light riders, so I'm surprised you are looking for a spring at all.

Last edited:

John390

is there a chart somewhere that will give us all an idea what we need for spring rates?

I ask to help us all and to help the vendors too, so we don't keep asking the same damn questions to them all the time.

IE: a chart where we put in our weight(with gear) and we know what our ideal spring rate would be. Front and rear, mild street, aggressive street, canyon carving, race track.

I'm looking to do the front and rear springs on my bike but I don't know what springs to purchase. From what I have read on this thread and several others, many people are in the same boat.

As well, if we are using R6 or R1 parts, we can't just use what Racetech tells us for that bike because the Yamaha uses linkages on the rear shock.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
is there a chart somewhere that will give us all an idea what we need for spring rates?

I ask to help us all and to help the vendors too, so we don't keep asking the same damn questions to them all the time.

IE: a chart where we put in our weight(with gear) and we know what our ideal spring rate would be. Front and rear, mild street, aggressive street, canyon carving, race track.

I'm looking to do the front and rear springs on my bike but I don't know what springs to purchase. From what I have read on this thread and several others, many people are in the same boat.

As well, if we are using R6 or R1 parts, we can't just use what Racetech tells us for that bike because the Yamaha uses linkages on the rear shock.

Your assumption being that there is a weight == spring answer. There is not, or at least, not quite that simply. There are other factors which go into spring selection, like you mention for street, canyon, track, etc... but there are also factors such as suspension setup preference and skill level. Higher skill levels == more speed. More speed == different setups. Different street or track conditions == different setups. Some riders want a pliable setup which moves a lot and gives them feedback. Others want a middle ground where they are getting feedback but some movement is acceptable. Some want a suspension to be hard enough to knock their teeth out and has the bike bouncing around and on the ragged edge of control. Some riders don't know WHAT they want, just know if it feels OK or not, but don't know how to make it better, or worse. So while there are some general factors, spring selection is also impacted based on fork oil weight, or compression, or preload settings. There are also factors such as shim stacks where you can be "under spring" but make up for it with damping, or you can go the other way and have "too much" spring and dampen more or less. Suspension setup is too complex of an issue to create such a general lookup table. This is why, for example, when I am contacted by someone asking about buying a shock or spring setup, I have a number of questions for them and then based on their answers I either ask more questions, or I give them additional info for setting up their suspension. Also, part of what you are asking for here, is for an experienced suspension setup person to try and distill all of their experience and knowledge down into a chart.

...or, to put it another way: I can take two riders of equal experience, equal lap times, equal weight, and put them out on back to back rides on the same bike in the same location. I setup the suspension for the first rider. They go out and turn 20 of their fastest laps ever. They come back in smiling ear to ear and ready to win. Then, I put rider #2 on the same bike, and send them out. They pull back in after two laps, rip their helmet off, and start screaming "Are you fucking trying to KILL me out there?!!!!!" because the suspension setup for rider #1 was perfect, and couldn't have been more wrong for rider #2. To imply that there is a table which people could look up and find the specific spring they need. It's just not that simple. This is why I have always resisted creating a chart like what you are requesting here. If suspension setup were easy, EVERYBODY would be doing it. It's not. ...and it is... {sigh} At the end of the day, it's technically both easy AND hard. So at the end of the day, it's typically better for everyone that if someone is ready to upgrade their suspension, they contact their supplier and work with them to find out what would work for them.