CMRA ULWGP Rd. 6 MSRC

ArkansasDave

Nice video, next time I'll put the gopro on there. I need a tail section so I can mount a backwards camera as well.

What all have you done on your bike? Looked like a stock rear shock?

Ash797

Thanks. I've only replaced the front brakes with EBC pads and front forks with Andreani cartridges. Stock Rosso front and Dunlop Unbeaten rear..

ArkansasDave

Thanks. I've only replaced the front brakes with EBC pads and front forks with Andreani cartridges. Stock Rosso front and Dunlop Unbeaten rear..
How did the rear feel? Definitely need to get a jri rear. John Hutchison has a good deal on them. A better front tire will help as well. I have a supercorsas front which is what I've raced on for awhile and has always worked well for me.

Ash797

Well I didn't really have any time for set up, I flew in Friday night, so I hadn't had any practice other than the 1 morning practice session and the first race of the morning in which I rode my CRF100. I've spoken to John several times already so I know what he has to offer. I also have a set of alpha 13's I just haven't mounted yet so I'm good there too.

My plan from the beginning of the race was to tag along with someone familiar and follow them to get up to pace. I have battled with John on a few other occasions and latched on as you can see in the vid. Before that day I had never ridden this track in that direction so my plan was to be patient and just finish. Besides, crossing those creases with lean angle were the most uncomfortable places on the track and with 1 practice session I hadn't quite found my way efficiently around it yet

Texas250

That is the 1.7 CCW. I love that one for my track days. I corner work Station 3 there also. You look good in Rattlesnake, that's a tough set of corners and took me quite a while to get the hang of it and I'm still lacking there. I like to close up on the faster cycles by the end. Then I like to swing wide through Wagonwheel, all the way to the curbing, keeping the riders on the inside, and really gas it to the apex and can usually get a pass there coming out before they pass be back before turn 2. I also like to stay on the curbing in Roundabout and try to take 7, 8, and 9 nearly wide open. 9 onto the front straight is another good place for a pass keeping the riders on the inside. Watch that patch of pavement at the apex of 8, I seem to hit it every time. Also on the front straight I like to swing back in after the apex of 9. There is some wavy pavement down the middle of the front straight that seems to unsettle some cycles. And of course I stay off the patched grooves joining the concrete lanes, those have caused many issues.

Overall a very nice race considering you didn't get much practice. It looked like a ton of fun. I've always wondered what it would be like in a race, but I'm strictly an amateur, and on a low powered street bike, first a CBR250R and now a CBR500R. Good thing is I ride with a group that does that one all the time, so they taught me a lot about that track, and with 4 hours of sessions there I feel like I really know it well, so it would be fun to see what I could do against some pros. Good luck.

Last edited:

Texas250

Do you know what lap times you are running there?

On a side note, 4 hrs isn't much.

I wish I did but I didnt have anyone to time me and I don't have GPS.

4 hours isn't that long I agree, but I have done 12 20 minute sessions; the video was 13.5 minutes long.

I timed a couple of people when I corner worked and the level one liter bikes were in the low 1:30s. I would get about 10 laps, so under 2:00 for sure. I go back in November so I will see if I can get a time. What were those CMRA guys running?

ArkansasDave

I wish I did but I didnt have anyone to time me and I don't have GPS.

4 hours isn't that long I agree, but I have done 12 20 minute sessions; the video was 13.5 minutes long.

I timed a couple of people when I corner worked and the level one liter bikes were in the low 1:30s. I would get about 10 laps, so under 2:00 for sure. I go back in November so I will see if I can get a time. What were those CMRA guys running?

The motoamerica cup racers ran 24-25's, novice racers run 32-40's. Easiest way to get a time is from your gopro, you can time your laps when you review them.

Texas250

It's hard to believe a cup bike could be so fast. I remember very few level ones would break the 1:30 minute mark. I doubt I could get anywhere close to a 1:42, but who knows. I was all over the 600's passing them only to have them fly by on the straights, holding me up in the corners, or passing me before a corner and making me brake when I wouldn't have. I think I have a natural ability. Maybe.

I have no GoPro but maybe I will get one. I'm thinking there might be an app for my IPhone, there is for everything else.

ArkansasDave

By level 1 do you mean the fastest ones there?

There is harrys lap timer available for iPhones and androids.

Cup bikes aren't fast, they just have fast riders.

Ash797

That is the 1.7 CCW. I love that one for my track days. I corner work Station 3 there also. You look good in Rattlesnake, that's a tough set of corners and took me quite a while to get the hang of it and I'm still lacking there. I like to close up on the faster cycles by the end. Then I like to swing wide through Wagonwheel, all the way to the curbing, keeping the riders on the inside, and really gas it to the apex and can usually get a pass there coming out before they pass be back before turn 2. I also like to stay on the curbing in Roundabout and try to take 7, 8, and 9 nearly wide open. 9 onto the front straight is another good place for a pass keeping the riders on the inside. Watch that patch of pavement at the apex of 8, I seem to hit it every time. Also on the front straight I like to swing back in after the apex of 9. There is some wavy pavement down the middle of the front straight that seems to unsettle some cycles. And of course I stay off the patched grooves joining the concrete lanes, those have caused many issues.

Overall a very nice race considering you didn't get much practice. It looked like a ton of fun. I've always wondered what it would be like in a race, but I'm strictly an amateur, and on a low powered street bike, first a CBR250R and now a CBR500R. Good thing is I ride with a group that does that one all the time, so they taught me a lot about that track, and with 4 hours of sessions there I feel like I really know it well, so it would be fun to see what I could do against some pros. Good luck.

You'll have a blast when you finally race your first wknd. Actually the race will be the easiest part. Mostly the race school, registration and bike prep are what end up being the most stressful and time consuming parts of the process. And by no means am I a pro, I race for the fun and the challenge. Also I f you noticed there was a provincial novice(prov-nov) that got lapped later in the video, if you can imagine what his speeds/lap times were compared to mine you'll see that there are racers from all skill levels on the track in each race. Keeping in mind we all had to start somewhere..

Texas250

Yes level one are the most experienced riders and usually have the fastest laps. You can find liter bikes in all 3 levels though.

Ash: I doubt I would ever make it into a race, but I love track days and that gives me a feel for what it's like. I like the track days too because it's so cheap. I get a day for every day I corner work. All I have are tires and painters tape invested. I can't wait for November, it's the next track day out there.

ArkansasDave

Yes level one are the most experienced riders and usually have the fastest laps. You can find liter bikes in all 3 levels though. Ash: I doubt I would ever make it into a race, but I love track days and that gives me a feel for what it's like. I like the track days too because it's so cheap. I get a day for every day I corner work. All I have are tires and painters tape invested. I can't wait for November, it's the next track day out there.
I was gonna say, there are track days before then!!!! But then I looked and realized there isn't. Another good track is msrh down in Houston but that's a drive for you.

Texas250

I did that track day on Monday. I had a great day. I couldn't get a lap time, and I'm disappointed by that, because the track attack app I had in my leathers pocket kept losing GPS signal. I can say I was much faster that the one Duke 390 and the RC 390 guy that were there, but rider skill plays a big part in that. I also passed many other more powerful machines, but level 1 was full of first timers so... The Dunlop Q3s were awesome, it was cool out, 57 degrees at the start and 70 at the end, and I didn't have an issue with traction at all. I would say I must have been in the upper 1:40s or better but I won't know till spring. I'm asking for a GoPro for Christmas.

Texas250

No, I'm sorry level 1 is the least experienced group. So I did that 1.7 CCW on the 27th and the best I could manage was 1:53.99. I was hot and I only recorded the last 2 sessions. I'm sure I could do a little better on my stock, except for Q3 tires, CBR500 but not much. Faster than some but slower than most. Still had an awesome time.