Itch! Scratched and scarred

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
Gentlemen,

Vijay from India. Have been following this forum for quite a while now, and being a member in the D390 forum and jumping to RC, feels home. Have had the Duke 390 before parting ways with her, with less than 900 miles on the odo. Didn't really seem to like the ride quality, though performance wise, it was such a revelation for me upgrading from smaller displacement motorcycles.

Waiting to book an RC390, but with rumors and grapevine about slipper clutch being incorporated, currently in retract mode. But for now fingers crossed.

Story time
========

Keeping it short and sweet, Duke 390 set my hopes high. It was bells and whistles and D day was all good, until the first problem.

Firstly coolant leaking from temperature sensor O-ring... Me? Somebody please put a bullet to my brain.

Rear shocker leaking. Though the initial batches of 200 and 390 had these issues, the latest ones were rectified (or as at least said by the service personnel)
Bad luck? I had mine leaking from the very first day, though I was so carried away...marital bliss. Heck!

Second (lousy one) speedo fogging up. I initially thought it was due to ambient temperature induced moisture trap, but then riding hard on rainy days, the water does indeed seep inside the console.... Me? Meh!

Thirdly, I head to the nearest KTM service station, to replace all these things. All set and done. A happy me!

Heck no! :eek:

The left side switch gear, goes kaput, the hi/low switch goes kaput. Me? Burning on the inside!

That aside, just to reiterate, overall I wasn't impressed with the build quality, moreover the QC that Bajaj does to the bikes -- totally unjustified. I honestly don't think the D390 is built to last such as Japs. KTM is good stuff, fun, powerful bikes, it's in their DNA, but nags far worse than my girlfriend.

Ditched it for good, but my humble opinion would be is that the penny you pay for it is totally not worth it, at least when it comes long term reliability.

Fingers crossed for RC390 -- hopefully. :)

Regards
Vijay

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Thanks for the review, Vijay! If/when you get the RC version, please keep us posted as to how it is different and the same as the Duke.