Lets talk tire pressures.

aj@x

Good evening ladies and gents :)

Being that my 390 is my first sports bike everything is new to me in regards to experience with tire pressures for normal street use. I know the manual states 29 psi front and rear which i did try for a short ride and to me it felt too low. Currently i am running 34 psi front 32psi rear and find this a little better. My weight is 65kg (my height and weight are identical to Rossi's lol but my skill set certainly isn't ha) anyway since it seems a good amount of the folks on here have much more experience than myself with the 390 i thought i'd ask what pressures you are running for everyday street use just to see if i am least close to where i should be with pressures on my own bike. Cheers! :)

OldVet

I'm running 29/29 as recommended and it seems to work quite well on the RC.

With my BMW S1000RR which is one hundred pounds heavier with Dunlop Q3's I run 34/36.

I'm approximately the same weight as you.

Willasan

I'm also running 29/29 and haven't felt a need to change it. I weigh about 180-185 pounds with my gear on.

Edit: That's 29/29 cold.

Last edited:

aj@x

Thanks guys, i will run 29 front and rear again and give it another shot, this sure is a whole different ball game to dirt bikes :)

Treachery

Country flag
I'm also at 29/29 cold. If/when I go to the track, I'll almost certainly run them softer cold, similar to Backmarker.

mr-fabricator

Are you on the pirellies ??

29 cold sounds right , wouldnt want any more than 30/31 for a heavier rider .

We run the pirellies in production racing , 28or 29 hot off the warmers so same pressures cold for street will work well

guzz46

I used to run 29 front and rear on my Alpha-13's, but after knocking 10kg off the bike, and having a few small rear slides I decided to try 25 front and rear, they feel a bit better now, they give me just a bit more confidence than they did at 29PSI.

Ausracer

Hi , I take it if you are on the sunshine coast then you have the standard metzler sportec tyres we got down under. I ran mine in the road at 29/29 and they felt OK (im also 65kg). Last weekend I ran alpha 13s at the track with 33/33 hot in the dry and to me they also felt ok. (that's about 29/29 cold). You could also ring metzler in Australia and they might give you some recommended psi ranges. Cheers.

aj@x

Yep i'm on the Sunny Coast and have the Metzler tyres. I put 29psi cold in front and rear and went for a ride this arvo, it felt alright... i noticed the front to be a bit more sort of "bouncy" feeling but got used to it soon enough. I also had to do an emergency stop as there was a bus in front of me for quite a distance riding his brake for about 500m then all of sudden the bus stopped without moving over and of course the brake lights still lit the entire time which is why i nearly ran up his arse, the tyres and brakes pulled me up perfectly and i was on my merry way again. I am unsure what the bus was up to because there was no bus stop nor was there traffic in front of him, it cetainly does pay to give yourself that buffer zone for these instances.

PS: I am still cruising around with my broken coolant overflow bottle, done about 250kms with it like this so far waiting for the part to come in, i've seen the same pipe snap off on a couple of dukes and one other RC in forums, i guess the main thing to mention is if it happens to anyone not to stress, keep an eye on your coolant level notify the shop for warranty and keep riding :)

Last edited:

mr-fabricator

Metzler 29/29 as per book is fine , set and forget . The more u think about pressures ( especially for 40hp and street riding ) the more u will worry . If u do hit the track on these tires , and your not at a blistering pace drop the rear to 26 cold and again youll be fine .

RoninJames

I run 25 front and 28 rear... stock was to rigid, i weigh 185. "aggressive" street riding... this seemed to give me a bit better grip.

rideontt

Country flag
aj@x

29/29 is too much. do take 25/28 single and 25/32 two up ride as per factory recommendations.

i have taken chance with 29/29 but at cost of wear down of center Tyre wear in 8000 miles (12000km) for rear tyre.

Yep i'm on the Sunny Coast and have the Metzler tyres. I put 29psi cold in front and rear and went for a ride this arvo, it felt alright... i noticed the front to be a bit more sort of "bouncy" feeling but got used to it soon enough. I also had to do an emergency stop as there was a bus in front of me for quite a distance riding his brake for about 500m then all of sudden the bus stopped without moving over and of course the brake lights still lit the entire time which is why i nearly ran up his arse, the tyres and brakes pulled me up perfectly and i was on my merry way again. I am unsure what the bus was up to because there was no bus stop nor was there traffic in front of him, it cetainly does pay to give yourself that buffer zone for these instances.

PS: I am still cruising around with my broken coolant overflow bottle, done about 250kms with it like this so far waiting for the part to come in, i've seen the same pipe snap off on a couple of dukes and one other RC in forums, i guess the main thing to mention is if it happens to anyone not to stress, keep an eye on your coolant level notify the shop for warranty and keep riding :)