Logging service

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I figure probably not, but does anybody know if there is any way an individual can log service on their bike into the KTMdealer.net site, or can ONLY dealers get in to do that?

I've printed out the checklist for the initial service items from the service manual. I figure worst case I can just check the items off and initial everything on the sheet as I perform the servicing, take photos and copious notes, sign and date, and then upload it all up to Google docs for archival purposes. That way in case it's ever questioned if service was actually performed there's a documentation trail. Most of us might not be factory trained and certified, but are still quite capable of performing routine maintenance ourselves. I'm just not sure how KTM expects such to be logged if same wasn't performed at a dealership.

RC_AB

Even if there is a document trail and something happens, Unless it's a document from the dealer that service such and such has been done than KTM warranty will be void, and even if it's not warranty they'll still ignore it and look at what they see at the moment (the issue at hand). It would be more for you're own record if nothing more. I say this as I work at a KTM dealer and seen what happens will they come in for service. Although sometimes if the service manager wants to fight for it and that can help, but being a smaller company (KTM) warranty can be a pain in some cases no matter what.

Just my take on it

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I checked with the lead tech for my dealer, and he confirmed that owners USED to be able to log service, but not any longer. So... so much for that idea. I'll just document and archive and if an issue crops up, hope my dealer will go to bat for me. Not all dealers are created equal to be sure. I have been told of one instance however where a KTM motor ate itself and the customer was sent a new crate motor and the grenaded motor was crated up and sent to the mothership for inspection. I agree that visual inspection at the time trumps all... so that if one has documentation that SAYS XXX was performed, but visual says otherwise, then the documentation would be highly suspect. Some owners are just total ********** and shouldn't be trusted with tools, much less a bike, but I'm reasonably confident that my dealer would agree that I'm more than capable of correctly performing routine maintenance myself. Time will tell...

RC_AB

It certainly doesn't hurt! We've had a few things that KTM has warrantied on a "case by case" basis so you never know.