Rc390 handling issues

kevinp

Country flag
Hi, I own a 2018 ktm rc390 and it’s been 5 years since I’ve got this bike. Recently I’ve noticed that the handling is off. As in I don’t feel the confidence. Few years ago I changed my tyres to apollo alpha h1 from metzeller sportec m5. Few months ago I changed my rear suspension from endurance to wp. It’s a bit stiffer but was no issue. Few months everything was ok then last week or so I feel off about the grip. The tyres are close to the end of their life but I’d say they have a few 1000 km left. Also the moment I go above 140 I can feel some oscillation on the handle bar. The way I can best explain this is like it feels like the bike is squatting.”like the rear is lower than the front or something. But visually its rear is higher. Note that I’m referring to the seat. Like it feels like it’s declining but it’s still inclined. Any idea what I need to look into ?

rideontt

Country flag
you are using OEM shocks since 2018! if so how many km done?

also kindly share the rear shock picture for reference.

kevinp

Country flag
you are using OEM shocks since 2018! if so how many km done?

also kindly share the rear shock picture for reference.
OEM front. Few months ago I changed my rear. It’s wp but it’s a duke 250 wp suspension I believe. Bike was handling well still but I think last month I did the cone set change and maybe after that I feel balance is off. I feel like I’ve got more feel of the back of the bike and front feels numb. Could some alignment have gone off ?

rideontt

Country flag
OEM front. Few months ago I changed my rear. It’s wp but it’s a duke 250 wp suspension I believe. Bike was handling well still but I think last month I did the cone set change and maybe after that I feel balance is off. I feel like I’ve got more feel of the back of the bike and front feels numb. Could some alignment have gone off ?
ahh so cone set work yes that's might be the issue. the forks might be pinched/twist .
loosen the axel
the axel pinch bolt
the front brake caliper
then hit the front brakes when rolling the motorcycle if you hear a creak or squeak when pressing the brake it would confirm the fork pinch or fork twist..

this would help more than my typing ;)

rideontt

Country flag
ktm 390 fork pinch:twist.jpg
if your fork bottom looks like the above it will work.
A reference picture of proper fitment vs improper fitment of forks.
Following Dave's video I did it just by moving the motorcycle front and rear and pressing the brake the fork(with pinch screw right leg) realigned to its resting spot.

the improper fitment was from the Service centre :rolleyes: and facing similar feedback you have currentlyfacing

kevinp

Country flag
ahh so cone set work yes that's might be the issue. the forks might be pinched/twist .
loosen the axel
the axel pinch bolt
the front brake caliper
then hit the front brakes when rolling the motorcycle if you hear a creak or squeak when pressing the brake it would confirm the fork pinch or fork twist..

this would help more than my typing ;)
Thanks, will check this out

kevinp

Country flag
View attachment 7346
if your fork bottom looks like the above it will work.
A reference picture of proper fitment vs improper fitment of forks.
Following Dave's video I did it just by moving the motorcycle front and rear and pressing the brake the fork(with pinch screw right leg) realigned to its resting spot.

the improper fitment was from the Service centre :rolleyes: and facing similar feedback you have currentlyfacing
I need to check. I am out of town. So my understanding is something is wrong with the pinch bolts ?