2015 under seat storage tray

Raider

Country flag
I've got a 2015 RC 390 that is my track bike. I'm changing out the stock seat and tail unit for a Tyga race version. Obviously, I am getting rid of the seat lock and associate hardware, but curious if anyone removes the plastic tray under the seat. Looks like its only purpose at this point is to keep road/tire debris off the wiring harness and possible protect the air intake there a bit.

Any thoughts, especially from those that track/race your 390s?

Attachments

• IMG_8890.jpg
    IMG_8890.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 98

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I removed the small inner tray in order to have more room for a DVR and cables. But I would not remove the inner fender as you've done. I see no benefit to doing so (it is very light), and I wouldn't want to sling road crap directly onto the air filter. Maybe not really a mechanical risk, but I don't see any material upside.

BTW, what is the benefit of that rear brake reservoir delete?

John390

I removed the tray for more room, but I had to put it back. The top of the tray is a brace for the sides of the under seat area. Without it, you have a hard time using the key to remove the seat. Maybe on a race only bike, its ok, but its not that good for a street bike.

I did cut a fair amout of it away, and I used it as a way to organize the cables for my Rapibike Evo cabling.

I left mine on. Not only does it keep tire boogers and chain lube from flying up there, it gives me a spot to mount my rain light.

Raider

Country flag
Yup, pretty much decided to put it back on there. Thanks for the input!

As for the reservoir delete, not really any tangible benefit. However, when I put the Woodcraft rearsets on there, remounting the reservoir got really awkward. The Woodcraft rearsets mount the rear master cylinder in a different position and the house routing wasn't terrible straight forward. I bought the kit from Sport Bike Track Gear for like $9. Don't need/use the rear brake much on this bike anyway...