Average Speed (MPH) Inaccurate?

rick

I've been leaving the display in it's default Riding Time/Average Speed display this week and the average speed seems way off. For example, on Monday I reset the trip meter before I left. 40 minutes and 40 miles later according to the Riding Time and the trip meter I have an average speed of ~33mph vs. the actual 60mph average speed.

It hasn't always been such easy math this week but, the Average Speed never seems to get much above 30mph when driving around highway speeds.

Interestingly, if they were doing the conversion from kph to mph backward I might get similar numbers to what I'm seeing e.g. 50mph x 0.6 = 30, 55mph x 0.6 = 33, 60mph x 0.6 = 36.

Here's actual the conversion formulas:
km/h = mph x 1.609344, km = mi / 0.62137
mph = km/h / 1.609344, mi = km x 0.62137

Anyone else notice that?

big_sur

It's probably a true average, rather than the moving average you might be expecting. i.e. Every minute you're stopped, your speed is 0 and that decreases the average dramatically.

rick

That would require that the indicated Riding Time only count when the wheels are turning and not just while the engine is running. This hasn't been my experience.

For example, I start the bike and then finish putting on my gear to give it a little warm-up time. It does count that dressing time on the Riding Time counter. So, at least on my bike, it shows the total time the engine has been on. In my first example 40 minutes over 40 miles by the trip odometer. That's 1 mile per minute or 60mph.

EDIT: Sorry big_sur, I agree with you about it being a true average. The counter increases on my bike the entire time the engine is running.

Last edited:

Ryanthegreat1

I too have noticed that the average speed seems to be WAY off. Even the overall average speed on my GPS is higher. The GPS has both overall and moving average speeds.

Fasteddy

Country flag
So I was just out for a ride, I have noticed that the average speed does seem low but never really paid too much mind to it. I do like the elapsed time function, so I ran up the interstate at the 'high' speed pulled off at an exit and sat with motor idling. for every minute I sat the ride time and clock went up and the average speed went down. so not moving counts. My average speed seldom goes above the mid 20's...

rick

FWIW, I contacted KTM directly using their form here today. It just took me awhile because I was too lazy to get my VIN in order to fill out the form. At anyrate, I'll update the thread if they respond.

reenmachine

Country flag
Mine's wildly inaccurate as well. I can start up, pull onto the freeway, ride at freeway speed (~75mph) for a half hour, pull off and it'll read something in the mid 30s. It's far too great a discrepancy for it to matter if it's a true average or moving average.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a metric/standard conversion error and will stay that way. The "range until empty" on my 2014 1190 Adventure displays the km value even when set to miles and they don't seem to care -- it's been that way through a number of firmware updates.

Treachery

Country flag
I don't think I've ever seen over 33 MPH. It goes down if you're stopped, but doesn't change if you go to light speed.

OldVet

The entire instrument cluster is a POS in my opinion... The only thing on it that's useful is the odo, spedo and trip 1 & 2...

rick

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a metric/standard conversion error and will stay that way. The "range until empty" on my 2014 1190 Adventure displays the km value even when set to miles and they don't seem to care -- it's been that way through a number of firmware updates.
That's disheartening!
It isn't the best cluster as OldVet mentioned. The only thing I really miss is an ambient temperature display. I like knowing how cold I am. :)

reenmachine

Country flag
The entire instrument cluster is a POS in my opinion... The only thing on it that's useful is the odo, spedo and trip 1 & 2...

I haven't checked the speedo against a GPS yet, and if it's also anything like my 1190 I'd take that off your list! :p

msquared

I haven't checked the speedo against a GPS yet, and if it's also anything like my 1190 I'd take that off your list! :p

FWIW I checked today when I was riding. It was within 1 - 2 MPH most of the time (at highway speeds); GPS was always the slower of the two. That is actually pretty good my BWM is off by 7 -10 MPH in some cases.

OldVet

I checked my BMW S1000RR yesterday. Up to about 50 the spedo reads 2 MPH faster than the GPS at 70 it reads 3 MPH faster.

Haven't got around to check the 390 yet...