Battery Cover Buzzing/Vibrating

TomHertz

G'day everyone, I've just received my bikeback from its initial service and akra remap, and whilst in the shop it appearsto have developed a vibration of the battery cover between 4 and 6 grand,depending on whether the bike is under load. I’m aware there are severalthreads regarding vibrating fairings, windscreens, instrument panels and plasticclips, however not much relating to the battery cover specifically. I am sureit’s the cover as when I press my hand on it, it stops. Embarrassingly I’veonly every removed the battery cover once since taking ownership of the bike,and I have a couple questions.

I can’t remember if the tabs on the cover hadrubber caps on them or not, and if maybe the shop lost them. Is someone able toconfirm?

I’ve read on another forum in two separate threadsthat the vibrating battery cover is a known issue to KTM, and that the dealers shouldhave a fix (I’m guessing by fix they mean parts). Does anyone have anyexperience with this?
My dealer’s untrustworthy (didn’t take it backthere for the service-long story) and I’d like to be prepared for any BS beforeI call.

I’ve read the post that says a piece of rubberattached to the middle tab seems to fix the issue, however there isn’t muchroom in the tab’s housing to stick much rubber, and with what I’ve managed toshove in there, the vibration persists on the other tabs. I have tried stickingrubber tape around the other tabs, which was a dodgy temporary fix that worked,however with the hot weather over the weekend, the rubber tape became dislodged,bringing back the buzzing, and removing the cover caused the rubber tape tofall off completely due to the irregular shape of the tabs. I’m hesitant to goabout adhering something permanently to the bodywork unless I’m certain it’llwork.

Brand new bike, less than two months old, etc,so it’s annoying to think that I need to start super-gluing bits of rubber tothe bodywork to fix such an audible fault (it’s audible in a drive-by). Thereisn’t much room on those tabs either, so if someone’s fabricated a fix thatworks and is willing to share the method and what they stuck exactly where, it’dbe helpful and much appreciated.

Unless of course as mentioned above, there aresupposed to be rubber caps on the tabs that I’ve lost… seems strange to haveplastic contacting plastic without any insulation like that on such a vibeybike. But I’ve checked the spare parts list and can’t see that the cover comesincluded with any rubber on it.

This forum’s been pretty much my bible over thepast few months – lots of great info on here. Hoping that if someone has a fixfor this issue as it might help another novice struggling with the same issue.Cheers!

psych0hans

Country flag
The tabs didn't have rubber caps, but the slots into which the tabs go did have rubber grommets of some sort. Mine are lost as well, not sure if they can be ordered separately.

TomHertz

Thanks guys!

Eddy I did see those on the exploded diagram but I thought they were on the wrong side of the cover and probably relating to the actual box that holds the battery underneath...

Ordered. Will be sure to glue the suckers in when they get here.

Thanks again - much appreciated/

Fasteddy

Country flag
I looked at all the relavent pages and those are the only description that matches so I'm pretty sure there right, they actully do go into the battery box but that page does not show any groumets...

TomHertz

Yeah cool cheers man. 30 quid so not cheap but worth it just to have a fix that I don't have to dodge up. Once they arrive I'll confirm that they're the correct part so others with the same issue can be sure it's a potential fix if they find themselves rubberless...

Have had zero issues with this bike over the first 1000ks, no vibes... and it started as soon as I rode away from the shop [should have gone back], so it stands to reason that a part(s) is just flat out missing.

Will confirm tho - thanks again!

TomHertz

OK so update, I got ripped on the parts and they're incorrect anyway :)

I'm posting a photo of the grommets (#90508024050) in case anyone finds them useful, because I couldn't find any photos of them online. If I saw them I would have realised they were not what I was after.
IMG_7047.JPG
These go in the two oval slots on the front of the battery cover (towards the front of the bike). There are two tabs on front edge of the battery box that slot into these holes, holding the battery cover down. Upon inspection mine are still intact.

The vibration is emitting from the rear side of the battery cover (opposite to the side the grommets are on) where there are 5 tabs that slot rearward into the tank cover. The vibration is coming from these tabs, and I initially thought there should be some rubber involved in these connections somehow.

Attachments

• IMG_7047.JPG
    IMG_7047.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

green_bread

Country flag
Someone posted a YouTube video where they modified the latch spring to hold it tighter. You might look in to that? Also, loosening the two bolts that hold the latch and moving it back and forth until you find the right spot can help

TomHertz

Thanks for this. I've seen the spring mod, I might give it a go, even though I don't seem to have any issues with it snapping shut. I'll jimmy with the bolts too. I was also going to try tying elastic bands around the tabs to see if that works. It'll make the lid harder to slide shut but my thinking is that maybe the extra tension will hold it tighter...(?)
Anyway the Werkes will be here by the end of the week, and if the reports are accurate I may not be able to hear anything else at all ;)

Fasteddy

Country flag
Yes, you are correct! when the Werkes is installed it won't matter, but, not becuse of the sound level but becuase of the smile from the increase in low end torque and mid range horespower!

emiller

Country flag
Thanks for this. I've seen the spring mod, I might give it a go, even though I don't seem to have any issues with it snapping shut. I'll jimmy with the bolts too. I was also going to try tying elastic bands around the tabs to see if that works. It'll make the lid harder to slide shut but my thinking is that maybe the extra tension will hold it tighter...(?)
Anyway the Werkes will be here by the end of the week, and if the reports are accurate I may not be able to hear anything else at all ;)

Trust me you won't be able to hear Sh**, I went from a Werkes to a MIVV GP (no db killers) and now I can hear the motor and vibrations, the werkes was way too loud and the tone to high for my taste, something I really liked is how clean the werkes look.

20161207_131355_zpsqpl3fpqp.jpg

20170215_123802_zpspbon8bag.jpg

TomHertz

Trust me you won't be able to hear Sh**, I went from a Werkes to a MIVV GP (no db killers) and now I can hear the motor and vibrations, the werkes was way too loud and the tone to high for my taste, something I really liked is how clean the werkes look.

View attachment 3523

View attachment 3522

Well I mucked around with the lid (took it off, admired its crapness and put it back) and it went away for a bit but now it's back. And yeah, I can hear it over the werkes :)

After a couple weeks I find the werkes isn't as bad as everyone made out.. it's louder than an unbaffled ninja but I can't say it's obnoxious unless you're givin it, and round the 'burbs (towers of apartments) I ride pretty considerately until I hit the highway. Although you're right about the tone it could be better.

I'm following the packing thread to see what sort of life the guys get out of the different packing materials available, because that's sposed to lower and round out the tone according to the fellas on here. But I'm not in any rush - more for something to do/experiment.
The battery box buzzing though, short of dipping the whole piece in rubber I'm gonna have to try a few things. It's a cheap bike but I don't have to hear about it in every gear.

emiller

Country flag
Well I mucked around with the lid (took it off, admired its crapness and put it back) and it went away for a bit but now it's back. And yeah, I can hear it over the werkes :)

After a couple weeks I find the werkes isn't as bad as everyone made out.. it's louder than an unbaffled ninja but I can't say it's obnoxious unless you're givin it, and round the 'burbs (towers of apartments) I ride pretty considerately until I hit the highway. Although you're right about the tone it could be better.

I'm following the packing thread to see what sort of life the guys get out of the different packing materials available, because that's sposed to lower and round out the tone according to the fellas on here. But I'm not in any rush - more for something to do/experiment.
The battery box buzzing though, short of dipping the whole piece in rubber I'm gonna have to try a few things. It's a cheap bike but I don't have to hear about it in every gear.

I added some dynamat to the inside of the lid and it lowered the vibrations a little bit, I'm planing to experiment with some black silicone, if it works I will post a how to.

Maddog Reynolds

My bike has buzzed from the left side fairing ever since first service at Drysdale's in Perth. They are a *good* dealer (by reputation), they talk good sense and they have loads of KTMs coming and going, but they must have misplaced a washer or something.

Must have a go at that. The screws are rusting, anyway, so I've ordered a stainless fairing set and I'm hoping it comes with rubber washers. If not, I'll improvise. Anything to make that buzz STFU :)

Last edited:

TomHertz

I added some dynamat to the inside of the lid and it lowered the vibrations a little bit, I'm planing to experiment with some black silicone, if it works I will post a how to.

Black silicone might be a goer - let us know how you go...

I ended up getting several small elastic bands and putting them round the tabs and forcing the lid shut. Dodgy, but the vibrations have stopped.

When I was installing the rubber bands outside in the light, I noticed the most right hand side tab wasn't fitting as snug as the left hand side, which leads me to believe maybe the shop didn't install the tank cover properly after checking the valves? Doesn't completely line up... I'll have to check this when I'm bothered to fix the snapped coolant overflow tank hose barb.

Anyway went for a 400km squirt around the mountains over the weekend and although the werkes was being obnoxious af, I didn't hear any buzzing so I'm good for now :)