Best guess for USA Price/Release date?

rrioux01

I've heard rumors of march 2015 and that it will be "competitively priced" when compared to the cbr 300 and nija 300 ($4900 and $5300 w/abs respectively), but I have a hard time believing it'll be below $6000.

What are your guesses/ what are you hearing?

VAG944

I agree! I'm hoping it'll be $6000 because when you get to the upper range the market for some very good new bikes ie. FZ 07 and the used bikes at the $7000ish are damn tempting. One of my hardest decisions was selling my 675 so buying another one is very easy decision. You can fine them with low miles and a couple years old easily. That being said, to be able to do 92mph in second gear in no time flat isn't my goal anymore but having a high quality, great handling, lightweight bike is.

I fear the dealers in my area will not even have heard about the RC 390! :(

Treachery

Country flag
Spoke with the closest dealer to me (an hour and a half), and he was aware of the bike. Oddly, he seemed more aware of the Duke variation, and just referred to the RC as the "faired" version. :confused: His indication was to look for the bike in "the spring," probably mid-to-late March. What I've read on pricing differs from the feel I got from the dealer. One preview suggested mid-$5K, others say $6K. The dealer indicated closer to $7K, which would certainly make me swallow hard. Or wait.

Has anyone heard or seen anything solid on the track/race package with the fully-adjustable suspension and the Akra slip-on? I mean other than buying the pieces separately?

Hey VAG944- What year was your 675? Were/are you on over at 675.net?

rrioux01

$7k sounds like a lot, would think that an R3 for $5k + $2k of suspension/engine work would be a better bike, but you never know until they come out

Texas250

I would expect low sales if the price is over $6000. They were just released in India, and they list for 205,000 IR, or $3,338 in US dollars. Plus Indian bikes are not known for high quality. Why would one pay CBR500RA money ($6800 usd), which has a known high quality Thai build, for an unknown product, with Ninja 300 ABS, R3, and CBR300R ABS all under $5,300 and close by with more dealer support. If a fair price is $3400 in India, with a fair profit built in, how much more would you think is fair for simply shipping one to the US?

If they are $5,500, or less ($2000 over what the are in India seems fair for the ship to the US and our dealers higher overhead), then they might get a sale from me, once I see how the first new ones are holding up. Otherwise I will get the R3 or CBR or Ninja.

Treachery

Country flag
I would expect low sales if the price is over $6000. They were just released in India, and they list for 205,000 IR, or $3,338 in US dollars. Plus Indian bikes are not known for high quality. Why would one pay CBR500RA money ($6800 usd), which has a known high quality Thai build, for an unknown product, with Ninja 300 ABS, R3, and CBR300R ABS all under $5,300 and close by with more dealer support. If a fair price is $3400 in India, with a fair profit built in, how much more would you think is fair for simply shipping one to the US?

If they are $5,500, or less ($2000 over what the are in India seems fair for the ship to the US and our dealers higher overhead), then they might get a sale from me, once I see how the first new ones are holding up. Otherwise I will get the R3 or CBR or Ninja.

I like your logic. I suspect that in addition to shipping there are US costs (EPA certification, for one) that KTM may opt to allocate to US sales only. But I agree that they won't see heavy sales outside enthusiasts if they price it too high. Austrian/Euro "mystique" only goes so far. What puts it in play for me is the higher HP, and the availability of factory-supported performance upgrades. A $7K price tag opens the shopping door up pretty wide.

Texas250

I like your logic. I suspect that in addition to shipping there are US costs (EPA certification, for one) that KTM may opt to allocate to US sales only. But I agree that they won't see heavy sales outside enthusiasts if they price it too high. Austrian/Euro "mystique" only goes so far. What puts it in play for me is the higher HP, and the availability of factory-supported performance upgrades. A $7K price tag opens the shopping door up pretty wide.

You could be correct about the US certification, but this bike I'm sure was planned for world wide consumption, unlike the cobble job Royal Enfield Continental GT. It needed a cat, dot signal lights and hi/lo headlight, so it turned into a US only version. I saw it at the IMS, and they said it would be $5000 usd, they list for $2800 usd in India. Sounded like a good deal. But when they came they were $7000, needless to say they sold poorly, then they dropped to $6000, and again few takers, now they are $5000 or so. KTM said they would be competitive with the market, but unfortunately the performance is on par with the CBR500RA which is $6800 usd. I hope they meant the Ninja 300, R3, CBR300RA. If we can find out what they list for in Europe, or elsewhere, and compare that to the price of CBR300/500, Ninja in Europe vs US, one could make an educated guess of cost. I think I will try to do that. That guy in Spain already bought one. In England CBR500s are 5000 pounds or about $8000 usd, if the RC390 lists for about the same, in the UK, then one could expect a $7000 US price tag.

Treachery

Country flag
I hope they meant the Ninja 300, R3, CBR300RA. If we can find out what they list for in Europe, or elsewhere, and compare that to the price of CBR300/500, Ninja in Europe vs US, one could make an educated guess of cost. I think I will try to do that. That guy in Spain already bought one. In England CBR500s are 5000 pounds or about $8000 usd, if the RC390 lists for about the same, in the UK, then one could expect a $7000 US price tag.

I'm all ears. Also hoping against the $7K. Even if the performance is similar to the Honda 500, the Honda's a bike I'd never consider. I suspect there's a big weight difference (vs the 390), as well as lower quality suspension.

Texas250

I'm all ears. Also hoping against the $7K. Even if the performance is similar to the Honda 500, the Honda's a bike I'd never consider. I suspect there's a big weight difference (vs the 390), as well as lower quality suspension.

Yes the weight difference is pretty big, like 85 lbs. wet. Softer suspension sure, but lower quality I wouldn't say that. Lots of cycles, not just Hondas, use Showa parts, and at this price point (both non adjustable except for preload in the rear) every bit of money saved helps. The RC390 is a super sport, the CBR500 is a sport so different classes too.

Texas250

Not good. RC390s are $100 pounds cheaper than CBR500RA in England. So one could expect at least a $6500 price in the US.

Texas250

Good news. The RC390 lists for 5400 euros in Spain according to another member here, thank you to them. A 14 CBR500RA is 6100 euros, or about a $900 usd difference. In the UK it's 100 pounds or about $165 usd difference. So for the US one could expect it to just undercut the $6800 usd CBR500RA or be as low as $5900. I can't wait for the IMS in Dallas in January.

Triiad

I think this hasn't been posted here:

The RC 390 will make its U.S. debut Nov. 14 during the Progressive International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach, Calif.. At the same time, KTM will announce pricing and changes from the European specs.
The RC 390 will be available through North American KTM dealers in March 2015.

Source

Treachery

Country flag
March seems like a long way away. November 14... I'm all ears.

What a pain that the IMS has abandoned the South/Mid Atlantic. No show from Miami to NYC. Grrrrrr.

Texas250

Someone posted a link on the CBR250 forum to an article on Motorcycle.com from today. It says US RC390 pricing was announced today at $5499. Celebrate good times, looks like they will have my money at the end of 2015.

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
Fooey. Beat me to it by 10 minutes! I got the news from the Asheville NC dealer about an hour after they got it from KTM. The $5499 includes ABS, but not freight. I have the spec sheet, which matches what's been publicized. Of course, tax and dealer charges on top of that. But, hoo-freakin' ray, huh? Rumored availability is March; my understanding is that the dealers get to see/ride them in February.

Now, I got a bike to sell to make room!

stover

Just spoke with a local KTM dealer here in the Bay Area. $5499 msrp. I just put a deposit down on one. 1st shipment is March/April.