CCS 500 supersport

motoarch

So it's now official that my local track orginazation LRRS in New England will not be allowing the 390 run in Formula 300.

Instead they will be adding 500 class for it based on CCS's 500 Supersport class. The rc390 will compete against the EX500, GS500 and so on.

Not sure how many on of you planned on racing but you should look into what rules your local orginazation will be adopting. Below is a link to the CCS.

Championship Cup Series

guzz46

So it's now official that my local track orginazation LRRS in New England will not be allowing the 390 run in Formula 300.

Instead they will be adding 500 class for it based on CCS's 500 Supersport class. The rc390 will compete against the EX500, GS500 and so on.

Not sure how many on of you planned on racing but you should look into what rules your local orginazation will be adopting. Below is a link to the CCS.

Championship Cup Series

You should like this for a good laugh, years and years ago my brother had a road legal RGV250 (this is in NZ by the way) he decided to turn it into a race bike, so he rocks up to the track (still bog standard) and because its a two stroke 250cc they put him in the Formula 2 class against 600cc supersport race bikes, and proper 250cc two stroke race bikes like TZ250's, he did well not to get lapped.

Last edited:

John

Would that put the new Yamaha YZF R3 (321cc 2-cylinder liquid cooled) in the same category (500 SS) as the KTM RC390? That would be interesting!

Last edited:

guzz46

52cc more, but one cylinder vs two, remember the World Superbike championship in the 1990's, they had 750cc fours racing against 900cc and above twins.

Treachery

Country flag
Yeah, that's what I mean. The R3 an the RC would seem to be in similar classes. Add in the Ninjette 300...

kalleh

As far as I've heard, AFM will run Ninja 300, R3 and RC390 together. Can't say I'm not a bit worried (I'm building a Ninja 300 race bike).

//Kalle

fos373

Weird. We have a 250, 400 and 500 production classes (they all race together). We debated moving them around this year but left them the same for 2015. Obviously all the bikes listed can run in the 400 class or up in the 500 class if one so chooses.

I thought the r3 had more power (MORE POWER!!!!!) than the RC, but it weighs more.

motoarch

The r3 does not have more power nor does it have usd forks and like said it weighs more. The lower spec 250 and 300s are allowed more extensive mods the the r3 to make them competitive. I quess some race orginazations feel even with the alowed mods a Cbr 250 would ever be competitive with the 390.

Treachery

Country flag
Well, a better question (since the CBR2.5 has been D/C'd) is whether the Ninja3, R3, CBR3, and the RC390 will be in the same class, or whether the 390 will be bumped up a class. I 'spect that it'll be completely un-uniform, depending on the sanctioning body. That's all separate from the cup version/cup class in MotoAmerica. It would seem that the Cup bike should be in the same class as the other three, given that it's power/RPM limited.

motoarch

This is answered in the first post. At least in regards to CCS and LRRS. No it gets bumped to 500. This has nothing to do with cup bikes or if a specific bike is still in production or not. A lot of ex250 out there and I imagine to keep the class alive they need to keep them on the track. In place south or on the west coast it may not be as much of an issue.

But like you said it's a case by case basis. For those in New England however you have to run in the 500s.

CMRA has started a new class, Ultra Light Weight GP for the Ninja 300, RC390, Yamaha R3. We have both a sprint class and a LW endurance class.

DCMoney

Country flag
CMRA has started a new class, Ultra Light Weight GP for the Ninja 300, RC390, Yamaha R3. We have both a sprint class and a LW endurance class.

MCRA has a similar class Ultra lightweight GT, for the 300's and 390's, R3 was released after rulebook was finalized..

DCMoney

Country flag
Rule books can be amended yes?

MCRA rules only allow changes to classes once a year. I believe it could be amended earlier but would take a vote by the general members.

R3=300cc. What could be the reason to exclude it from the class?

R3=321cc When the rules were voted on a finalized the R3 had not been announced. My guess is it will be added to the ULGT glass for the 2016 season.

Treachery

Country flag
R3=321cc When the rules were voted on a finalized the R3 had not been announced. My guess is it will be added to the ULGT glass for the 2016 season.
I'm not involved, but a common-sense outsider's view would seem to say, 321 (thanks for the correction, I hadn't bothered to look that up) is less than 373, and more bikes on the grid is better, so why exclude a bike that is statistically legal? I don't know of any classes in WERA that are model-specific (unless there used to be a Sportster class); they're all displacement-based. Sounds goofy to me.

DCMoney

Country flag
I'm not involved, but a common-sense outsider's view would seem to say, 321 (thanks for the correction, I hadn't bothered to look that up) is less than 373, and more bikes on the grid is better, so why exclude a bike that is statistically legal? I don't know of any classes in WERA that are model-specific (unless there used to be a Sportster class); they're all displacement-based. Sounds goofy to me.

Its not bike specific, its limited by CC's wasn't trying to be ultra specific, just pointing out MCRA has a class for 300s and 390's...

6.3.1. Ultralight GT displacement limits are absolute and are set
as follows:

ULTRALIGHT GT (Amateur & Expert Divisions
Combined, Identified By White Number Plates)

Single cylinder, four-stroke liquid cooled, 400cc
Twin cylinder, air cooled, 350cc
Twin cylinder, four-stroke liquid cooled, up to 300cc

NOTE: 125GP and MD 250 machines are not eligible for
Ultralight GT.

Treachery

Country flag
Okay, now it makes sense. The R3 is over the displacement limit for the class, not that it was too new to be excluded. That does make sense. BTW, your original post is what gets sent to subscribers to the thread. Thanks for the edit.