Cheap Slip On Mufflers

davoboy

Country flag
I have had 3 different cheap slip on mufflers so far. These are my thoughts and I include my bum dyno results, I should stress the bum dyno is not always accurate.

First off I replaced my standard muffler with an Akropovic slip on, I should point out that this Akropovic came from the rare Chinese test factory and sold through Aliexpress and was a tenth of the price of KTM Akropovic. Sadly the quality was also a tenth of the KTM Akro also. And even more sadly it was not genuine in any way. It looked fantastic, I did remove the pillion peg hangers and fitted an Akropovic bracket, and the result was just amazing in terms of looks.

The bike sounded soo much better, however it had a rattly almost tinny sort of quality to it, much nicer than stock but no bass or depth. The kit came with 2 decibel killer inserts, after trying them I removed all, and just had a straight thru pipe.

Bum dyno wise the bike felt exactly the same as before, just louder and I had the desire to hammer it more because it simply sounded so good.
akro2.jpg
akro1.jpg

Then I purchased a small either Leo Vince or Austin Racing slip on, both stickers were included. The fit was poor, the quality not too bad at all. It was certainly a solid little alloy muffler. The bonus was that it was awesome to have heaps of noise just under your right foot. The muffler ended just after the hanger. Again the kit came with one decibel killer, which I ended up putting in but cut in half.

The bike made heaps less torque, much less mid range, revved out much quicker, was annoying on freeway with droning. The sound was not good, all noise, no note or character to it.

It felt all hooligan, but slower. In terms of looks it looked all cheap and nasty, which it was. Sorry don't have a pic on the bike.
austin.jpg

Then I purchased a 300 mm long polished stainless Delkevic. Great quality, even the way it was packed. Fitting was perfect, everything went as it should. Came with db killer, but I run it with no db killer and in fact have never even fitted it. The sound is much deeper, much more bassey.

The looks are great. In fact of all 3 this is by far the best.

Bum dyno wise it has given more midrange, which is where you live in real life, much better. By far the nicest muffler to live with, good to look at and good performance. Plus, it would appear that it will last a fair while.

Thanks
rc12.jpg
rc 11.jpg

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
Cheap slip-ons if done well, really can't be told the difference between an original or a first copy. With machining too good these days, first copies from Thailand, Malayisa and Indonesia made slip ons are pretty famous. Also there are dedicated small scale manufactures who manufacture excellent quality full system and slip-ons with varying brand names. It's only about time..