Coolant level... Water wetter question.

RoninJames

So we all know this bike runs hot. Has anyone tried water wetter as a coolant yet to see if it makes a difference?
I have used it in my other bikes and noticed some difference.

Also, i just got my bike, only rode a few times so far but just noticed today that my coolant level is just above the minimum mark on the backup tank.
It looks kinda thick and creamy green???? what do they put in these bikes from the factory for coolant? anyone know?
I would like to get the level up just a bit to be safe... and at the first service (about 100 miles to go) go with a flush and put the water wetter in.

So should I add distilled water, add regular antifreeze, or add a little water wetter to whatever is in there for now????
Suggestions?

Backmarker

My bike is used for track days and racing, we can't use antifreeze, I use a product by Motul called Mo Cool, it says it should run up to 15C/30F cooler. So I use Mo Cool and distilled water, I put 200K on my bike this weekend at the track and no cooling problems.

My bike is used for track days and racing, we can't use antifreeze, I use a product by Motul called Mo Cool, it says it should run up to 15C/30F cooler. So I use Mo Cool and distilled water, I put 200K on my bike this weekend at the track and no cooling problems.
The factory I'd bet puts in ethyl glycol. Like Backmarker, we use distilled water because glycol's are outlawed where we race. I don't think straight water is a good idea. You should always mix an additive to control corrosion and help lube seals. Products like WW or Motul Mo Cool (not to be confused with Motul "Moto Cool") are the ticket. I prefer Mo Cool due to residues I would find in my coolant using WWetter. 5% is the amount to mix. It may lower the temps over straight water. If adding 5% to you glycol coolants it may lower the temps as well.

Some tracks and orgs allow Poly Glycol. Not as slick as Ethyl, but slick just the same. Good to -26F I use it in my street bikes.

reenmachine

Country flag
After a hard canyon run last weekend the bike puked a bit from the overflow hose and it was a really bright, thick green, almost like pure antifreeze instead of 50/50 mix. I was planning on flushing it and switching to distilled water with WW but it sounds like Mo Cool may be the ticket. I live in SoCal so the bike will never see freezing temps, but it'll see 100°F+ all the time.

RoninJames

cool, thanks fr the tips guys. i guess i will get the mo cool and have them flush it and refill at the first service. i put another 50 miles on the bike today. prob finish it off tomorrow and schedule my service for later this week.
@reenmachine yea that shit looks thick and green thru the plastic tank, i can imagine it looks like toxic sludge out of it lol

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
All Water Wetter does is raise the boiling point of water. It won't make your bike run any cooler, it keeps the water from freezing... aka AntiFreeze. :) The system is already under pressure, which we all learned in highschool physics class that as PSI increases, so do the temperature the water boils at... so even plain distilled water would be fine. The point of things like Water Wetter is to give you antifreeze protection below 32f without the use of antifreeze which pretty much every racing organization forbids. As long as you aren't at risk of freezing temps, plain ol' distilled water is just fine... but it won't make you run cooler. It'll just prevent you from boiling over as readily.

reenmachine

Country flag
All Water Wetter does is raise the boiling point of water. It won't make your bike run any cooler, it keeps the water from freezing... aka AntiFreeze. :) The system is already under pressure, which we all learned in highschool physics class that as PSI increases, so do the temperature the water boils at... so even plain distilled water would be fine. The point of things like Water Wetter is to give you antifreeze protection below 32f without the use of antifreeze which pretty much every racing organization forbids. As long as you aren't at risk of freezing temps, plain ol' distilled water is just fine... but it won't make you run cooler. It'll just prevent you from boiling over as readily.

Actually WW and products like it do much more than that (or claim to). They improve the heat transfer between the coolant and the hot metal surfaces it contacts by reducing the presence of vapor there, which can act as an insulating barrier. It's about improving the efficiency of the system, and I don't think it has any anti-freeze properties at all.

Water Wetter or Motul Mo Cool are not anti freeze. The point of those products are as I described. Ethyl Glycol, Poly Glycol (aka Engine Ice) have anti freeze properties.

reenmachine is also correct.

RoninJames

yea the claims on WW, engine ice and i assume mo cool are to make the engines run cooler... like was stated at least that is what is claimed. i have a bottle of water wetter downstairs i used on my sons track bike, he doesnt have a temp gauge so i cant know for sure... but the bottle says its designed to help the engine run cooler. engine ice the title sounds like its ice to cool your engine... and mo cool the title also would insinuate its "MOtor COOLant"

either way whatever they are has gotta be better than the green slime they come stock with right?

off the engine ice sight:
  1. Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is biodegradable, phosphate free, non-toxic, and typically reduces operating race temperatures, effectively keeping boil-over temperatures to 256°F or less and freeze-up protection to -26° F.

RoninJames

so water wetter and mocool provide NO freeze protection so that is out for my street bike here in pennsylvania (tho i should be moving ato atlanta in sept if all goes well).
engine ice DOES provide freeze protection. i guess if i am going with one of these "coolants" it will be engine ice.

Backmarker

As a side line, please be careful disposing you ethyl glycol, it is very poisonous to animals. And it has a sweet taste that they like.

reenmachine

Country flag
I checked out the manual and it looks really easy to do -- there's a drain port on the engine under the water pump forward of the oil filter. Drain, fill, burp via a bleeder screw on the radiator and that's basically it.

AZ Randy

Hi all, this is my first post. I picked up my RC 36 hours ago and put 144 miles on it doing the ride it like you stole it method of break in, lots of WOT with equal amounts of deceleration, while giving a nod to the 7,500 rpm limit during breakin, but I digress from the thread topic. I noticed while riding that my coolant was at the minimum line and probably should have been at the maximum line. Also noticed the cooling fan coming on during the few times stopped in traffic (worked hard to avoid traffic). Anyways, remembered from research done months ago that KTM and Evans NPG waterless coolant seemed to be a good match, so found and reread some articles, with one of the best at Evans Powersports Bike Cool 180° (Waterless Engine Coolant) | Demon Tweeks . Make sure you click the top links, especially the KTM Engine Conversion link and watch the cool video (I love those orange silicon hoses). I searched this forum for "coolant" and several threads come up but searching for "evans" had no hits.

Guyhowdy

I was interested in trying the Evans, but don't want to go through the hassle of getting all the water out of the system. Think I'm just going to flush and throw some Engine Ice in there for the easy route. FYI my bike also came with the level barely above the minimum level line.

Wa2fst

Country flag
Ive ran engine ice and water wetter in my track bikes. It def helped bring the temp down on my MV Agusta which are prone to running stupid hot. But for the track its because its not slippery like anyi freeze is if it got on the track. Antifreeze will ruin everyones track day if it gets on the track.

as far as water wetter it seemed to work ok i used in alaska and my bikes never froze as long as they are in a garage or protected from the elements. Unless your garage has 2" spacers between every board lol then you might have an issue

CDN Duke

Country flag
Just picked up some MoCool - had Engine Ice ready to go but found out it's not permitted at my local track school, so it'll be MoCool for the summer, then swap out before winter for proper antifreeze again.