Digital Tach Readout Question vs. Movement of the Bar

commandodave

Is it me or does the "Combination Instrument" display lack a digital indication of the RPM? First, I am new to my RC 390 and i am just finding some things out. However, I cannot figure out the way to display the RPM in a digital mode. Yes, I see the analog bar increase in length as the RPMs rise. But I cannot associate a given engine speed with a given length of the bar across the display. If I am not to exceed 7000 RPM during break in, how can I determine when the engine is spinning at 7K? Please don't tell me to set the idiot lights at 6900 and 7000 RPM.

reenmachine

Country flag
The shift light is set low from the factory for the break-in period. There's no numeric readout of RPM, just the bar, and if you look closely there are numbers along the bar to tell you what RPM the length corresponds to. They're tiny and impossible to read while riding, but they're there.

You're not going to blow anything up by exceeding 7000 RPM here and there during break-in. In fact, some (myself included) routinely go to the limiter as part of a structured hard break-in procedure.

If you're concerned about it, find the 7k mark on the bar tach and put a sticker or brightly-colored piece of tape there to make it easier to see at a glance.

commandodave

Thanks! Now I don't feel so bad about not being able to find a digital readout. I also believe in bumping the allotted RPMs every now and then. Or "blowing the soot off the plugs" as when we were kids! I didn't see anything in the manual about an electronic cutout if the absolute RPM limits are reached. Does the RC 390 have one? If so, what is the magic number? I bounced off of the limiter more than once with my Aprilia Futura and Honda CBR. Thankfully my Aprilia RS 50 does not have valves or the top end would be all over the street.

Treachery

Country flag
Can I interest you in some bifocals for that tiny tachometer font?

As to the rev limiter, nope, yer not going to miss it.

Wa2fst

Country flag
I find engine break in rituals fascinating. Not that what i do is right by any means. But everyone has an idea including most manuals and service techs who usually differ from the manual. Makes me always wonder if and what is the right way? The whole dont go over "X" speed or RPMs. On this bike if you did the hold under 65 your def running up some RPMs if you do dont go over "X" RPMs you may not make it up the next hill.

When I had my GSXR600 motor rebuilt head shaved, port polished, new slicker bearings whatever that means (Hanshawperformance) who has/had motors in the AMA, Daytona and is a Ford Engine engineer. His break in process was run 2 sessions at the track bouncing the rev limiter change the oil and give it hell.

His boss at Ford who moved on to SRT and responsible for the dodge Hellcat powertrain and now with Ford Nascar(again) break in was give the motor a warm up for 10 min keep it under 7Kdown the straights a few laps and add RPMS the one session then bang it up and down for a few sessions then give it hell no oil change.

Although im not from Michigan nor do I plan to stay here much longer meeting some these amazing auto workers who live and breathe these kind of fire pit convos is def fun. And no one has the same opinion.

For me i run everything up to engine noise. Bounce it off the limiter randomly where i have room because most of my bike riding is on the street except the 390 which got 345M of off n on throttle jocking then straight the track of no mercy.

Last edited:

onethump

I find engine break in rituals fascinating. Not that what i do is right by any means. But everyone has an idea including most manuals and service techs who usually differ from the manual. Makes me always wonder if and what is the right way? The whole dont go over "X" speed or RPMs. On this bike if you did the hold under 65 your def running up some RPMs if you do dont go over "X" RPMs you may not make it up the next hill.

When I had my GSXR600 motor rebuilt head shaved, port polished, new slicker bearings whatever that means (Hanshawperformance) who has/had motors in the AMA, Daytona and is a Ford Engine engineer. His break in process was run 2 sessions at the track bouncing the rev limiter change the oil and give it hell.

His boss at Ford who moved on to SRT and responsible for the dodge Hellcat powertrain and now with Ford Nascar(again) break in was give the motor a warm up for 10 min keep it under 7Kdown the straights a few laps and add RPMS the one session then bang it up and down for a few sessions then give it hell no oil change.

Although im not from Michigan nor do I plan to stay here much longer meeting some these amazing auto workers who live and breathe these kind of fire pit convos is def fun. And no one has the same opinion.

For me i run everything up to engine noise. Bounce it off the limiter randomly where i have room because most of my bike riding is on the street except the 390 which got 345M of off n on throttle jocking then straight the track of no mercy.

I have always felt for the "break in period" just don't drive it too hard and everything will be fine. Don't baby it, don't constantly drive it like its stollen, and its fine. This whole NEVER rev it higher then this and NEVER take it faster then this is all bullshit. Drive it like you own it.