Excessive front barke drag...

SPG

Has anyone else experienced significant front brake drag? I have the EBC HH pads in, and the front drags badly enough that you can feel it pushing the bike around the paddock. In comparison, my R6 with another disk, caliper and pads spins freely.

I've tried removing the spring plate, and exercising the pistons in and out. The caliper already has no dust seals, so nothing to remove there...

Did I just get a bad caliper or does everyone have this issue?

Thanks in advance.
-Sean

Try dental flossing the caliper pistons with emory cloth. Then washing everything with dish soap. Seals may be sticking to the pistons holding the pistons out a bit.

Bagwell

Country flag
I noticed my EBC HH pads the other day making some noise when I didnt have my earplugs in and ran an errand on the bike. I will have to ride it again, but it seemed like the noise was when I started braking lightly and I even took a big handful of brakes just to see how they worked and it lifted the rear wheel up just fine. I need to investigate a little more to make sure there isnt any dragging when NOT on the brakes.

SPG

Try dental flossing the caliper pistons with emory cloth. Then washing everything with dish soap. Seals may be sticking to the pistons holding the pistons out a bit.

Please explain? The dental flossing with emory cloth...

-Sean

Ryanthegreat1

I hear my hh pads dragging pushing it around the garage. Not sure how much actual drag there is. I need a front stand.... And a rear stand.... And spools....

DCMoney

Country flag
Please explain? The dental flossing with emory cloth...

-Sean

Pretend the pistons are teeth and like flossing a tooth you work around it trying to clean all the plaque off of it.

The brembo pads I have, have almost zero drag, I can't believe how free the front wheel spins while on a stand.

Ryanthegreat1

I also wanted to add that it feels like I can pump the front brake up to a nice firm lever. Then moving the bike will make the lever all smushy again. It is nothing like the brake lever on a GSXR, that thing is RIGHT there. I guess the upside to the RC master/caliper combo allows for good modulation.

dobr

When you pull the lever after moving the bike do you get brakes at all or do you have to pump them first? If no brakes after moving it could be a warped rotor.

Ryanthegreat1

Brakes work just fine they are just not as firm on the initial travel as I would like, there is some take up. Then it feels like that initial travel can be pumped up a bit for a firmer lever.

I wonder if the dragging is due to an inferior square o-ring geometry and is not retracting the pistons properly.