Exhaust header leak & other questions

Mototoro

Okay, so I don't know how to edit headings - it's not an exhaust leak. It was coming from the valve cover bolt and just collecting grime. My forward left cover threads are completely stripped out, I was thinking this was an exhaust leak because of the black soot but when I looked at the exhaust it was fine. So I thought, it's probably the valve cover gasket and planned to do valves anyways and when I got that stupid rubber shroud off noticed oil around the bolt. So I figured it either rattled loose or stripped and just took it out. Of course KTM would make the threads a softer material then the bolts (cue expletives) and now I'm done for the day.

Anyone know how much of a headache I'm in for? Do I have to replace the whole head?

Anyways I also had a trivial question about hose routing for the fuel system (not the Evap canister y-connection) but the other y connector the goes to the vent and the bottom of the tank - there's a y connections with a hose that goes no where, I'll attach the parts drawing so I can see - it's the one with the question mark and the hex key pointing to it. They had it hooked to the coolant vent :( and I have replace that with the correct vent hose but now I'm not sure if there's even supposed to be a hose on the second fuel y Connection

Any help with any of this would be super awesome because I have a KTM headache. I'm honestly afraid to even take the valve cover off - who knows what other catastrophes I'll find.... anyways sorry for the confusion.

Thanks in advance for any help
beth

(2015 RC 390 US ABS)

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Fasteddy

Country flag
The vent hose to the Y from the tank (actually from the overflow / spill from the recessed area around filler cap) does connect to the coolant reservoir overflow so that sounds correct. The valve cover bolt goes into a boss on the crown that holds the cams in place and would be considered part of the head, but, it should be very easy to repair it with a helicoil kit which is a steel thread insert.
You will have to disengage the cam chain tensioner before removing the crown and keep track of the bolts that hold the crown in place as there are 3 different lengths, 2 short, 2 long, 4 ....
Do you plan on re shimming the valves?

Mototoro

The vent hose to the Y from the tank (actually from the overflow / spill from the recessed area around filler cap) does connect to the coolant reservoir overflow so that sounds correct. The valve cover bolt goes into a boss on the crown that holds the cams in place and would be considered part of the head, but, it should be very easy to repair it with a helicoil kit which is a steel thread insert.
You will have to disengage the cam chain tensioner before removing the crown and keep track of the bolts that hold the crown in place as there are 3 different lengths, 2 short, 2 long, 4 ....
Do you plan on re shimming the valves?

Ohhhh, so it's just a general overflow hose that combines into one after the Y - okay that makes sense. I ordered that hose too, it just doesn't show that connecting anywhere on the coolant parts view either. But that makes sense. I had some other hoses that went "no where" and had to tank the tank off to find out so I didn't want to assume that was correct - but now i know i'll connect them. I ordered all new hoses because they were all messed up for some reason and some melted because they routed them next to the exhaust.

ANYWAYS... Yes i will be checking the valves and already have a shim kit so if i need to swap any that will be easy. I'll pick up a helicoil kit, the horrible irony of that it i was gonna buy one last week to fix some BS seat bracket bolt on my BF's bike... now i need one. Good to know it can be helicoiled. thanks!