Infamous Coolant Overflow

ArkansasDave

It's seems to fit but would leak(cold without the engine running) it may be that my other cap needs to be replaced(not far fetched). So buy at your own risk. I am going to buy a new cap for my crf450r and go from there.

Anyone else have the coolant from the reservoir leak out when you take the cap off?

ArkansasDave

Another note of interest, within 5 seconds of shutting off the bike and leaving the screen on it jumped up 2 bars. Also after 10-12 minutes of idling the fan never once kicked on and it stayed 3 bars below the hot section.

MrGrody

Still haven't had a leak or overflow. It was 104° during my ride yesterday. Kept checking the coolant reservoir everytime I stopped and nothing was happening. With as many people reporting issues I would have thought it would have happened yesterday for sure.

Willasan

Still haven't had a leak or overflow. It was 104° during my ride yesterday. Kept checking the coolant reservoir everytime I stopped and nothing was happening. With as many people reporting issues I would have thought it would have happened yesterday for sure.
I bet something is up with my/our cap. Did you happen to see what the temp read when the bike was off?

Willasan

Another note of interest, within 5 seconds of shutting off the bike and leaving the screen on it jumped up 2 bars. Also after 10-12 minutes of idling the fan never once kicked on and it stayed 3 bars below the hot section.
Was this with the stock cap?

reenmachine

Country flag
This is normal. With the bike off there's no coolant flow and the coolant around the sensor is just sitting there heat soaking.

reenmachine

Country flag
Definitely sounds like I've got a partially faulty cap.

I don't think so. I think it's the altitude affecting us. I'm going to try and find a 1.6 bar cap locally so I can try it this weekend. It's 105° up here too so I'll get it plenty hot here in town at low elevation before and after the swap and then head for the mountains.

D

Deleted member 351

I'm having the same problem. It kept puking coolant almost every time that by the end of my fourth ride there wasn't any left in the bike. I ended up having towed it to the dealer to let them look at it. After leaving it there for a week they still couldn't reproduce the issue. They said they are most likely unable to reproduce it since they put different coolant then what the bike comes with from the factory, but they were probably not riding it long enough. Apparently they have a three mile limit unless you give them the ok to ride it more. I'm picking up my bike today. My commute home is 45 min and it looks like it is going to be fairly warm. I guess I'll find out if the problem still occurs.

KTMGene390

I'm having the same problem. It kept puking coolant almost every time that by the end of my fourth ride there wasn't any left in the bike. I ended up having towed it to the dealer to let them look at it. After leaving it there for a week they still couldn't reproduce the issue. They said they are most likely unable to reproduce it since they put different coolant then what the bike comes with from the factory, but they were probably not riding it long enough. Apparently they have a three mile limit unless you give them the ok to ride it more. I'm picking up my bike today. My commute home is 45 min and it looks like it is going to be fairly warm. I guess I'll find out if the problem still occurs.

I would take pictures or video if it happens next time. Take a picture of the temperature gauge as well as any coolant that is spilling on the ground. This will give the dealer and idea of the extent of the problem. I would note whether the fan was on or not before turning the bike off and take a picture of the coolant level with the bike level to show it is at the proper level and not overfilled when cold.

ArkansasDave

Or when you pick it up from the dealer tell them that you will ride it around will aggressively and bring it back in. Then go ride it really hard and then pull into the garage and turn it off with as little light load running as possible.

Willasan

Update: Spoke to my dealer, and his RC390 has never puked on Palomar. He's of the opinion that the cap was faulty. We replaced the cap with another OEM one under warranty, and I rode Palomar again HARD this Tuesday trying to get it to puke. No puke this time. However, it was significantly cooler. My first few runs were in the mid 70's, all the way to my last few in the high 80's. Not 100% on this as a fix YET, but I'm very hopeful.

When you shut the machine off you are no longer circulating coolant. The temps are going to rise. When the temps rise the pressure in the system will increase. The stock caps are typically rated at 1.3 bar. Beyond that setting, they open to relieve pressure. Race bike mechanics may up the cap pressure to 1.6 or sometimes more to move the relief point out a bit further. We are required to shut off our hot bikes when endurance fueling. I use a higher bar cap and if the air temps are really high we will put a box fan on the motor as well. Raerly if ever do we have a puke on our big bikes.

Try this, when you come to a stop the fan will probably come on, leave the bike running till the fan goes off, Then shut the bike down. I bet it doesn't puke. It will have been allowed to cool some.

Willasan

I've tried that fan trick gbaby, no dice. I truly am hoping my original OEM cap (it says 1.4 bar on it) was just a little bit faulty/weak and letting out coolant earlier than it should have been. I even had the bike puke once after idling for almost 5 full minutes to let the motor cool down a bit. Hopefully it's a simple fix with a new OEM cap. When I do some true hot weather testing this weekend, if it's still puking, I'll try a 1.6 bar cap. My dealer who also owns a 390 and regularly rides where I do has never had this problem (so he says) on his bike. If that's true, something is up.