Kinda pissed off...

RobbiRob76

I took my KTM and dropped it off for it's second service, which is actually it's 4th oil change. My job requires a lot of travel, and when i'm not traveling i have a 2 hour daily commute each direction, from Corona CA, to Oceanside Ca and back. When i picked my bike up the dealer said they could not reset the "Service Due" mileage because they did not replace the air filter. The bike has 4555 miles and does not need replaced. Anyone else run into this when having the 2nd service done? They told me to come back and speak with the service manager on Friday morning... Again, my time is limited based ob my job, if I had time on Friday for things like this, i would have just changed my own oil, as i have done previously.
Appreciate the feedback,
Robbi

DCMoney

Country flag
Internet search on how to reset the service due message.

Push Mode til ODO shows
Push Set til the Service KM left indicator shows (the wrench icon)
Hold Set for 15 secs and you'll see the Service KM reset

Haven't tried myself.

tecknojoe

Country flag
Is it listed as an "inspect" or "replace" item in the 5k mile service?

If it's listed as "replace", then you can replace it yourself and tell the dealer the service light needs to be turned off

If it's listed as "inspect", then check off a copy of the 5k service sheet, and tell them it has been inspected per the 5k recommendation. The law states that you are not required to have the service completed by a dealer, and checking off the items yourself is perfectly valid. Your bike is now displaying false information and it needs to be corrected.

RobbiRob76

Ok.... I hate liars. Period. As I have mentioned here before, I owned and operated a Honda Motorcycle Dealership for over ten years. Supposedly the other reason they could not reset my "Service Due Mileage" display is they did not have anyone available on a Saturday, but if I come back on Friday morning and talk to the Service Manager, he might be willing to have someone hook the bike up to "THE COMPUTER" and reset the mileage even though I didn't replace the air filter... I just went out in the garage and did what the video showed to do... Guess what? My mileage indicator for service is now reset... This is the same dealer with a 2012 RC8 with only 844 miles, only $12,500.00 which is a reasonable price.... Except they want Freight, Assembly on top of that price! Even if it's a Demo, I would not pay freight and assembly on a 2012 with 844 miles. By the way the wheel weights have duct tape over the top, and it is sitting on DOT race tires. Yup, that 844 miles is track day miles. I am done with this shop.You guys rock!

MrGrody

Thanks guys!!
Like stated above the reset can be done (which you did)

I'd find another shop if you are gunna have someone else do your service.

When I purchased my rc390 they service rep pointed to the "KTM tool wall" and said to bring the bike to them for all the services cuz they have the specialty tools required. I guess a orange socket makes it specialty. Needless to say I haven't gone back don't plan too.

I've lucked out and have a local shop do any work I think I'm not able to do on my bikes. Private shop family owned and they are honest.

Sounds like you just ran into a money making machine dealer.

rick

Yeah, dealers are good at encouraging owners to perform their own maintenance. I've had much more luck with smaller independent shops FWIW.

RobbiRob76

After (once) being a dealer, I ALWAYS encourage people to support their local dealer. At least give them a chance before you buy online, but things like this are why people head straight to the internet before supporting local dealers. I am going to speak to the owner. I would have wanted to know if it was my shop... Many times the owners are not aware of rogue employees who are working off commission. All of my employees were paid salary, including the techs for this very reason...
Robbi

MrGrody

After (once) being a dealer, I ALWAYS encourage people to support their local dealer. At least give them a chance before you buy online, but things like this are why people head straight to the internet before supporting local dealers. I am going to speak to the owner. I would have wanted to know if it was my shop... Many times the owners are not aware of rogue employees who are working off commission. All of my employees were paid salary, including the techs for this very reason...
Robbi
It's amazing the difference salary makes instead of commission in regards to "customer service"