KTM Hard parts (cup-bike) rear-sets f**k-up

jokerio

I bought a set of the rear-sets KTM offers for my (street version) RC390 from the catalogue, it's the same that comes on the cup-bike stock.
Beware, the directions ask you to remove the threaded collar from the stock piece and put it in the new part, problem is, it is the wrong thread size/pitch… !
It seems (at first) that it will screw-in just fine, but after about a half a turn, it doesn't want to budge. I tried to force the issue and almost broke the tool I was using.
Took it to my local machine shop to have the new aluminum rear set mounting plates re-threaded,
He didn't have a tap in that size (22mm X 1.0 pitch) so I called around, No tool supply or machine shop that I could find in and around the Bay area (or all of California) had a tap that size.
I finally found one through MSC and it's being sent (overnight) from there Reno, Nv. warehouse.
An other small fuck-up from KTM, or at least there parts suppler.
I will let you know how it turns out.
Anyone else run into this problem ??

micahpearlman

I bought a set of the rear-sets KTM offers for my (street version) RC390 from the catalogue, it's the same that comes on the cup-bike stock.
Beware, the directions ask you to remove the threaded collar from the stock piece and put it in the new part, problem is, it is the wrong thread size/pitch… !
It seems (at first) that it will screw-in just fine, but after about a half a turn, it doesn't want to budge. I tried to force the issue and almost broke the tool I was using.
Took it to my local machine shop to have the new aluminum rear set mounting plates re-threaded,
He didn't have a tap in that size (22mm X 1.0 pitch) so I called around, No tool supply or machine shop that I could find in and around the Bay area (or all of California) had a tap that size.
I finally found one through MSC and it's being sent (overnight) from there Reno, Nv. warehouse.
An other small fuck-up from KTM, or at least there parts suppler.
I will let you know how it turns out.
Anyone else run into this problem ??

They do fit, but the stupid powder coating on the threads make it really tight. I put mine in *VERY* slowly, backed in, backed out, lube -- took a couple of hours. You might want to try a thread file (I have one and totally didn't think of it when I was doing it). If I was todo it again I would buy the Tyga (they weren't available when I bought the PP rearsets).