My 2015 RC390 Race Bike Build

ShawnB

Thought I would document my build for this season racing 400 Production Cup here in Colorado, and a couple of rounds in Utah.

Background, I raced a Yamaha R3 last year and sold it at the end of last season. I bought a Honda RS125 GP two stroke to race but realized that there wasn’t much of a class for it where I live. So I sold it. My friend helped me out and sponsored me on a KTM 390 so I’m getting it dialed in best I can.

Specs 2015 RC390 1300 miles. Just not ridden much, it was bought and built to be raced but only raced once previously then parked.

I tested it at the end of 2016 for a couple of laps at the track.

I got it about 2 weeks ago and have tested it 2 times now. I really like it but it needed a few mods so I’m working on that stuff.

What it came with. Race bodywork, steering dampner, quick shifter, JRI rear shock, stiffer front suspension (not sure what’s in there).
Radiator and fan upgrade
Pirelli Supercorsas (maybe one race weekend left on rear, and two or three on front)

Stuff I’ve done.

2017 OEM slipper clutch upgrade
brake lever guard
Safety wire
Oil change
Water wetter
GP shift (cut down shift shaft and notched the plastic sprocket cover to fit)
Trimmed the chain guard down
Started doing graphics and wrap
Removed quick shifter, wasn’t working very well.

I ordered rear sets from China but they probably won’t be in before my first race so I am working with what I have.

I was grinding the OEM ones pretty badly while trying to not lean over too much so I a bit worried. First race is at Pikes Peak International which has a big oval banking which coming off the banking you are 6th gear wide open on the lean so don’t want to catch anything. Hope my rearsets come in soon.

Everyone here in Colorado that I know of who has race a KTM390 has blown a head gasket so hopefully this thing stays together.

Plan to do more graphics, wraps, number plates, and sponsor logos on the bike soon. Track day this Friday or Saturday or Sunday to test more.

Here are some picsktm gp shift.jpgktm side.jpgktm tail.jpgktm tank.jpg

m3hl

Country flag
I would be sure to look into the cooling upgrades if you havent done that already. Cool bike! You may drag some pegs.

ShawnB

I would be sure to look into the cooling upgrades if you havent done that already. Cool bike! You may drag some pegs.

Yes that was done already, I might try to do more though, wonder there is room for two fans.

When you say the radiator was upgraded... what do you have exactly? Also how involved is the slipper clutch mod, is there a write up on the install? Would love to do that over the summer (my off season). My KTM is an old MRA race bike!

ShawnB

When you say the radiator was upgraded... what do you have exactly? Also how involved is the slipper clutch mod, is there a write up on the install? Would love to do that over the summer (my off season). My KTM is an old MRA race bike!

Upgraded fan, duct mod, better cap.

I just figured out the clutch thing. I can write something up if there is interest. I took a couple of pics. It works great and took me 1 hour to install, bought for $70 on eBay.

I have tyga rearsets.

The bolt holding the foot peg to the rearset broke off in the middle of a corner at the race track. Can't say I highily recommend Tyga... less pricey though!

ShawnB

More progress on the wrap.

4C2B3F91-900E-49AF-BC4F-5AF9F79EEA00.jpg
I’ll be testing again this weekend at the track then first races the following weekend

ShawnB

Wrap done and tested at the track yesterday. Everything is working great. Ready to race ��

8E969967-519A-4F6C-BF5E-F2CA38F77A53.jpg367971E7-A345-4666-A4B1-85577B0B7586.jpg8D56DB79-77BD-49D6-9F69-026D19AD29E0.jpg1D4767A4-BDE0-4D12-8C25-3607CE1B9DE0.jpg

Last edited:

vulgr

Don’t you need engine covers with your race org?
And did you experience any clearance or positioning issues with the stock rearsets?
Looks great [emoji106] any pictures with the belly pan on?

ShawnB

Don’t you need engine covers with your race org?
No, but I should buy some
And did you experience any clearance or positioning issues with the stock rearsets?
Yes they drag but I’ve learned to deal with it but it’s annoying and dangerous

Looks great [emoji106] any pictures with the belly pan on?
my friend has the belly pan I need to get it and put my sponsor logos on it still
...and thanks