New Race Tire Options for 2019

Dunlop and Pirelli have released their slicks for the small bore bikes. Dunlop will supply a soft front(110/70) with soft and medium rear(140/70) compounds. Pirelli will provide SC1 compounds front(110/70 and 100/70) and rear(140/70) which are mediums to my knowledge. This should help bring the laptimes down a bit at your local racing facilities.

simpletty

Country flag
sc1 is soft compound for pirelli. Sc2 is the med compound. Talked to pirelli rep today about these and from what they are seeing, depending on the abrasive levels of the tracks, the wear is better than DOT supercorsa with a 10-15% increase in grip (no idea on how they figure that out) plus a greater corner speed. Front tire is profiled wider and has lost the squishy feel that the supercorsa gave, carcass is said to be a bit stiffer. Rear profile is slightly different and is said to provide a slightly different feel than the supercorsa as well. Looks like a winner in my book. Im sure the dunlop will perform as well.

One of my buddies tried out the Dunlops over the weekend, he was very skeptical having used the pirelli's for a while, but he liked the Dunlops.
Dunlop is also doing a contingency program this year.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I'm not sure which Dunlops are being discussed above, but I'll say that I mounted a set of Dunlop Sportmax Q3 tires in stock sizes, and then rode a track day last Saturday in chilly, foggy weather, and the grip was excellent with cold pressures of 24 pounds both front and rear.

Oh, I see this thread is about SLICKS. Sorry, mine are not slicks. I guess they are 'sporty street tires.'

Last edited:
I just had a very similar conversation with my tire guy. The perelli slicks are a soft compound so high abrasion and endurance racing is a no go. I wonder if they'll employ the harder-ish compounds in the future? I'd be curious about the dunlops to a degree. Personally, I still don't trust dunlop non-uk race tires.

simpletty

Country flag
with you on that one, would like to see the sc2 as a rear choice option. I know dunlop has soft front only, med/soft rear. If i burn a set a weekend it will prove to be fairly pricey as the supercorsas would last 4 weekends. 3 races a sunday, full 5-15 minute practice sessions saturday.